Sign in to follow this  
pcpilot

July 29, 1967

I saw this several times during my tours in the Navy. My first ship being the USS Independance, it had special importance...

USS Forrestal

<S>

S!

the series of carrier fires led to huge changes in training. On the way to my first ship, also Independence, I went through one of the best courses that I have ever gone to then and since. Flight Deck Fire-Fighting was required for all who went to the airwings or worked on the flight decks and the lessons learned from Forestal, Enterprise and Oriskany were taught to all of us with some real, hands-on practical training.

When GQ sounded for "Fire on the Flight Deck - this is not a drill" one's heart rate went though the roof but we all knew what to do. Those lives lost were not lost in vain.

:salute:

Yes,I saw it several times during my tour in Marine Air.

The first damage control party killed was spraying water on the first 1000 pounder that blew.

They were only a few feet away.

The bombs were the older style explosive that blew up with a lot less heat than the newer ones.

Trivia: The second A-4 in line,the one they put a circle around was being flown by then Lt. now Senator John S. MCCain. You can see him jumping off the refueling probe,rolling through the fire and then running to safety.

A lot of very brave young men gave their lives that day to save their fellow shipmates and their ship.

Bravo Zulu <S>

Didn't the USN change its bomb construction so the bombs would burn but not explode? Hence USN mk5x bombs have 2 stripes on them instead of the 1 USAF types have?

Didn't the USN change its bomb construction so the bombs would burn but not explode? Hence USN mk5x bombs have 2 stripes on them instead of the 1 USAF types have?

Back then we use the same mark number and so far as I recall the bombs were the same. We didn't use the MK81 or the MK-117 but otherwise they were same up through the mid-80's

later the BLU-111 series did change the composition and external casing for those reasons and the MK 80 series were so changed and designated.

-----------------

Since the Vietnam War United States Navy and USMC GP bombs are distinguished by a thick ablative fire-retardant coating, which is designed to delay any potential accidental explosion in the event of a shipboard fire.

------------------

Description: The BLU-111 is a 500-pound class steel casing warhead designed to fit into low-cost JDAM bombs. The main purpose of the BLU-111 is to penetrate hardened targets, bunkers or concrete walls while minimizing collateral damage because it carries only 500-pound of high explosive.

The BLU-111A/B designation refers to BLU-111 warheads thermally protected to withstand fuel fire on an aircraft carrier. The BLU-111/B designation refers to a warhead filled with a less sensitive explosive resulting into a safer weapon compared with baseline BLU-111s. The US Navy seems to be clearly the main customer for these specially modified BLU-111s.

------------

the USN also shifted to JP-5, not sure when, in order to reduce the fire danger aboard ship. A JP-5 fire doesn't spread as fast as a JP-4 fire. We also went to extensive use of foam for fire-fighting.

Edited by Typhoid