Sign in to follow this  

Sorry for the off topic post, but I very much respect the community's opinion here.

I'm very happy with OFF, especially having been a WW1 plane fan for 33 years or so.

So while I have lots to fly and learn about, I keep seeing references (and I mean MANY references) to

IL-2 (or IL-2 1946) as a flight sim of great value.

Simple question:

Is this worth buying now, after it's been out so long?

Tougher question:

I've also been very fond of the pacific WW2 planes. Would IL-2 be a good alternative, or is there something better out there?

and finally,

How are the grahics? Multi-player?

Something tells me that I should just be happy with OFF single player, and a not to be mentioned multi-player.

I would like a faster plane and more manoeverability tho...

Thank you for any input!

The OFF community realy IS amazing...glad to be here :rolleyes:

Edited by Broadside uda Barn

IL2-1946...is 'possibly' a must have sim really.

I'ts dirt cheap to buy now..and with the AAA addon, it's pretty good

What is the AAA addon?

I saw on good old games (gog.com) that they have il-2 1946 (which is everything all together?) for $10 for dl.

Or it's $10 on Amazon, plus shipping.

Bub - if you are into WW2 air combat sims, and you can get it for 10 Dollars,

you can't do a thing wrong.

I'm planning on getting IL 2 1946 myself. I have IL 2 Forgotten Battles and am duely impreesed but 1946 is the one to have. There is IL 2 Pacific Fighters but get 1946 because it's in there too.

IL-2 1946 is the bargain of the century as it includes all released content to date:

- IL-2 Forgotten Battles

- Pacific Fighters

- The Pe-2 Add-on

- The 1946 add-ons

...and, as a previous poster stated you can d/l a bunch of new mod content.

Graphics hold up very well. And there are thousands of skins to d/l.

get ahold of pd he and the boys of 60 fly nothing but il2 1946 with allthe bells and whistles

Thanks for the replies.

I'll pick it up...just as a diversion.

You're right, for $10 it's hard to pass up, hopefully it doesnt take a lot to get up and running.

Well I just got home from a Chinese buffet. Stopped at a Game Stop on the way home and bingo! They had it. I'ld been looking for a hardcopy for the last 3 months. Now to load it proper with all the right mods and downloads. I think I have the list I need here somewhere.

RC--

I'd be interested in that list :)

I have no idea where to begin.

Also, how much was it at game stop?

I prefer a hard copy whenever I can get one...GoG.com has it for dl at $10

Amazon for $13 or so after shipping.

BuB, I got the game for $20 at Game Stop. Yes, it can be had for less online but I wanted a hardcopy and I avoid using my creditcard online as much as I can. I am very happy with the price. I still have not downloaded anything or loaded the game itself. Like you I am researching a little first. My list is actually advice from a good chap that I am uncomfortable speaking for or dragging into this any deeper. He knows who he is and maybe he will post on this for us. I only offer advice from my experience but for starters my understanding is that the game needs to be patched to vers. 4.08 and then to 4.09 dowloads are at the ALL Aircraft Arcade. Best wishes, Jim

Sorry for the off topic post, but I very much respect the community's opinion here.

I'm very happy with OFF, especially having been a WW1 plane fan for 33 years or so.

So while I have lots to fly and learn about, I keep seeing references (and I mean MANY references) to

IL-2 (or IL-2 1946) as a flight sim of great value.

Simple question:

Is this worth buying now, after it's been out so long?

Tougher question:

I've also been very fond of the pacific WW2 planes. Would IL-2 be a good alternative, or is there something better out there?

and finally,

How are the grahics? Multi-player?

Something tells me that I should just be happy with OFF single player, and a not to be mentioned multi-player.

I would like a faster plane and more manoeverability tho...

Thank you for any input!

The OFF community realy IS amazing...glad to be here :rolleyes:

I have IL-2 and like it but if you want the best WWII combat flight experience try Aces High II. I havn't played IL-2 since Homeboy recruited me into his Aces High squad.. It's strictly on line multiplayer. There is an outstanding selection of aircraft including fighters, ground attack planes, and heavy bombers. The flight models are very realistic. If you want fast you can fly an ME-262. If you want manuverability you can fly a hurricane or zeke. The graphics have not been up to OFF at its best but they have just done an upgrade that has improved the graphics a lot. If you get tired of flying you can jump in a tank and fight other ground vehicles (of course you might get bombed by a P47 or shot to pieces by an IL2). I have OFF because, like you, I'm a WWI fan but I still fly Aces High regularly. There is nothing like fighting real live opponenents. It costs $15/month but you can try it for 2 weeks free of charge. Here is the link http://www2.hitechcreations.com/frindex.html Check it out.

I hope this isn't too much of a commercial for the competition. It's no competition for the WWI fan because it's strictly WWII.

BuB, IL2 is an outstanding sim, and if you wish to fly WW2 either on or off line it is one of the best. Here are a few screenshots of the Biggin Hill campaign. If you load up and use Compans outstanding scenery and ground textures, this is what you will be seeing when flying across the Channel to do battle with the Hun. As most of you know the WW1 Canvas Knights project uses this engine, and for those who long for the massive multi-player side of the game it may well prove to be the answer. That being said, I am afraid the project is being rushed a bit and may have some initial issues with flight models, damage models, and such. But I give Deutschmark and his crew credit for their efforts. I know there are a lot of old online RB'ers waiting for the CK release. There is no way however that it will ever be able to get close to BHaH for the SP dynamic campaign experience, unless the CK team wishes to spend the next five years doing what the OFF devs have done, (and I really don't see that happening).

Cheers!

Lou

Hey RAF...have you a link to that scenery please m8?

Well with everyone giving the thumbs up to IL-2, I have to put a plug in for BOBII ( Battle of Britain II Wings of Victory). It may not have the same graphic quality as IL 2 but it's close. Where it shines is in the AI and the full simulation of Battle of Britain combat. One on One it will run you thru the ringer trying to keep up with your opponent (sure beats the IL2 cha cha line) and if your system is beefy enough you can fill the sky with several hundred planes.

http://a2asimulations.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

BuB, IL2 is an outstanding sim, and if you wish to fly WW2 either on or off line it is one of the best. Here are a few screenshots of the Biggin Hill campaign. If you load up and use Compans outstanding scenery and ground textures, this is what you will be seeing when flying across the Channel to do battle with the Hun.

Wow!

Thanks for the pics Lou!

It really looks good.

I'm going to order it on Amazon...gonna start making a list of the mods to dl, starting with the two you mention.

BuB

Is All Aircraft Arcade down? I can't get through to the site.

It's okay now.

Edited by Rickitycrate

I second the vote for BoBII, although I haven't been able to fly it much since BHaH arrived. :flyer:

I bought IL-2 when it came out, then recently bought the 1946 to get all the updates.

I'ts great fun to load out and do ground attack missions, the IL-2 itself was an awesome plane.

However, I think the dogfighting leaves a lot to be desired. The German and American planes are IL-2's version of the Spads in OFF. I know they may not have been as maneuverable as the Russian planes or Spitfires and you have to boom and zoom, but were they really that bad and stalled that easily? I just always got frustrated when I'd be in an FW-190 and stall into the ground, then fly a La-7, and have that same AI-piloted FW190 do maneuvers that were impossible when I tried them.

Also the tracers drive me to distraction; they look like little green photon torpedoes.

if you get IL2 1946 please look into EnjoyR's mega patch, that adds an incredible amount of campaigns and even other nations you can fly (complete with accurate languages in the cockpit) etc. It combines a hundred diufferent mods into one massive install that works flawlessly.

It really turns a great game into a super legendary one.

if you get IL2 1946 please look into EnjoyR's mega patch, that adds an incredible amount of campaigns and even other nations you can fly (complete with accurate languages in the cockpit) etc. It combines a hundred diufferent mods into one massive install that works flawlessly.

It really turns a great game into a super legendary one.

Sounds like a definite winner MK2. I saw it here at CombatAce IL 2 forum.