Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Fee almost escaped me in a huge cloud

If I hadn't used TAC and Labels here, the leading FE2b would have escaped me for sure.

I had shot two of his colleagues down already, when he turned a little and ran for a big white cloud.

I entered the cloud some 500 feet lower than him, and only managed to fly level by using the horizon

instrument. But when I came out of the cloud - no Fee above me!

I turned, looked up and down, but he wasn't visible. Only on TAC, I saw his spec. He had turned round

in the cloud and left it the same side he entered it. Clever (well, he was an ace, as I saw by the name)!

But, although my Mercedes DIII engine was hit once again (clickclack!), I shot enough long range hits

into the crate to slow it down. And then I got him (sorry, Bullethead, no happy end).

Yes!! The clouds now certainly add a new level of realism. What an improvement (Using the TAC and labels of course completely negates all that, hint hint. :smile: )

Yes, I only use it now for trying out all the new stuff.

Normally I fly 'Full DiD', which will be very tough now.

If I hadn't used TAC and Labels here, the leading FE2b would have escaped me for sure.

I had shot two of his colleagues down already, when he turned a little and ran for a big white cloud.

I entered the cloud some 500 feet lower than him, and only managed to fly level by using the horizon

instrument. But when I came out of the cloud - no Fee above me!

I turned, looked up and down, but he wasn't visible. Only on TAC, I saw his spec. He had turned round

in the cloud and left it the same side he entered it. Clever (well, he was an ace, as I saw by the name)!

But, although my Mercedes DIII engine was hit once again (clickclack!), I shot enough long range hits

into the crate to slow it down. And then I got him (sorry, Bullethead, no happy end).

Tac and Labels Olham? youv'e gone soft since i've been away..... :ok::ok:

(sorry, Bullethead, no happy end).

If the AI flew Fees in fighter squadrons with its "fighter mentality" (as in like it flies Brisfits) instead of with its "bomber mentality", you'd have a lot more respect for them. The old Fee, when flown aggressively, can hold its own against a swarm of AI Albatri, and might even give you a good fight. But no, the AI Fees (unless properly led by a human) just sit there and take it. It's a real shame.

I believe it, Bullet. If they'd help each other, and even attack, I would not get them so easily.

I know what you mean, and how you feel, as the old Fee Captain.

Difficult to translate, as it's an unfinished sentence after Goetz von Berlichingen.

"You can (kiss) my (bum) !" so to say - more or less.

Difficult to translate, as it's an unfinished sentence after Goetz von Berlichingen.

Hilarious, Olham! I wondered what it meant myself, so I tried an online translation site and it came out interpeted as "You can do me (many?) times". I didn't think that could be right... :biggrin:

Edited by Canvas Wings

Olham,

Wasn't it really coined by Goethe?

Reminds me of something: "Wer reitet so spaet durch Nacht und Wind? Es ist der Olham mit seinem Albatros" Well, it doesn't exactly rhyme...can't type umlauts either

Cheers

Edited by BirdDogICT

Hilarious, Olham! I wondered what it meant myself, so I tried an online translation site and it came out interpeted as "You can do me (many?) times". I didn't think that could be right... :biggrin:

I showed the sentence to my dry cleaners, a veitnam lady and she said that it reads: Me number 1 Me do it long time. :haha:

Very funny. GvB was the one handed poet knight with the iron claw, correct?

BH wrote:

If the AI flew Fees in fighter squadrons with its "fighter mentality" (as in like it flies Brisfits) instead of with its "bomber mentality", you'd have a lot more respect for them. The old Fee, when flown aggressively, can hold its own against a swarm of AI Albatri, and might even give you a good fight. But no, the AI Fees (unless properly led by a human) just sit there and take it. It's a real shame.

Ain't that the truth. The Fee is really quite a handy old bus. And you put them up in a group that knows how to use them and you will have a fight on your hands no doubt.

Cheers!

Lou

lewis8en.gif

BH, ole chap!

You can change the AI behavior of the Fees quite easily! Just go to the aircraft folder and open up the FE2b folders inside (AC1 to AC5, SQ1 to SQ4, QC1, and Sqd). Then, open the xdp file inside each folder and look for the following: Category="tactical_bomber" (it's about 5 lines from the top of the file). Edit that line to read Category="fighter_bomber" and save. Your Fee will now fly like a scout! Unfortunately, you will probably see some strange AI behavior, especially at low levels, like lots of wingovers and stalling behavior. However, if you keep them at height and at relatively high speed, they do quite nicely!

Good luck and give us a mission report!

Edited by Herr Prop-Wasche

As clouds are no longer dreadful places ruled by the Turbulence of Death, I've often had exciting encounters in and around them. And yes, if you don't use labels or TAC, it is quite easy to lose your opponents in clouds. Several times some Entente bombers (Quirks mostly in my MFJ I career) have escaped my attack by flying into the clouds so that I've completely lost track of them. And heavy cloud cover is something that you'll see often if you fly close to the North Sea coast in winter. For me, the cloud fix has been one of the most important improvements the devs have made to OFF. :yes:

Edited by Hasse Wind

This is historicaly correct and how the pilots were trained to fly them.

A similar fate was bestowed upon the Brisfit until they realised it was a great fighter and the pilots were then trained to use it as a fighter - and the rest is legend.

We can change the Fee AI to fighter as described above but we probably wont as its not correct.

Feel free to mod your system, as you own it, but maybe think before the criticism or enquire.

HTH

WM

It's alright to be historically correct, Winder. I think, everyone would agree there.

It's just hard for Bullethead to see, how the crews suffer, when they could do much better.

And I feel the same, when I shoot them down. Poor bleeders.

Right, BirdDog, it was Goethe's "Goetz von Berlichingen".

He said more or less: Sag Deinem Herrn, er kann mich mal am Arsche lecken!"

(Tell your Lord, he may lick my a**!)

As an expression of how much he thought of him.

Carrick, what do Vietnamese dry cleaners know about Europen culture.

They didn't even show up in world war one!

The iron hand is right, Barkhorn - poet - I'm not so sure.

Edited by Olham

Olham,

Wasn't it really coined by Goethe?

Reminds me of something: "Wer reitet so spaet durch Nacht und Wind? Es ist der Olham mit seinem Albatros" Well, it doesn't exactly rhyme...can't type umlauts either

Cheers

Ï cän tÿpë löts öf ümläüts :yes:

Wasn't it Goethe who said "in Tzchermany humour is not a laughing matter"? :biggrin:

For BH, a better idea than editing all of the Fee folders from "tactical_bomber" to "fighter_bomber." Instead, only change the Fee folder named Fe2b_Sqd. In BHaH, you and your flight of aircraft all fly using the Sqd folder, while flight A and other Fee flights/squadrons use the other folders. So, you can "imagine" that your flight has been given the job of "top cover" to protect all of the lumbering Fees below. Of course, you can still bomb targets as before, but your flight mates will act much more aggressively than the other Fees. Try it out and see!

This is historicaly correct and how the pilots were trained to fly them.

I beg to differ.

Fee crews had a much worse blindspot to the rear than regular 2-seaters, because neighboring planes in their formation couldn't cover under the tails of the others. Fee crews knew this, so started doing the Lufbery Circle very early on, so that each Fee covered the blindspot of the one ahead. They'd do this until the enemy either gave up and went away, or until the enemy completely blew his energy. After that, they flew like fighters, because then it was an even fight.

The problem the Fee AI has is that it just flies along in a V formation like a tractor 2-seater, allowing enemies to come up from behind and hose them with complete impunity. That isn't realistic. But neither is having them go all aggressive from the get-go. So IMHO, neither AI mentality suits the Fee, but the "bomber mentality" is worse than "fighter mentality". Ideally, you'd have them circle until the enemy was co-E, then fight. But failing that, having them be aggressive from the beginning would be better than what they do now.

A similar fate was bestowed upon the Brisfit until they realised it was a great fighter and the pilots were then trained to use it as a fighter - and the rest is legend.

48 Squadron's disastrous debut lasted all of about 1 week. The guy who imposed those tactics on them was lost on the 1st hop they did, and they only followed his example for a few more days. It was patently obvious to all that sitting there and taking it was suicide, so they changed, and all subsequent Brisfit squadrons did that from the beginning. The Fees had come to the same conclusion the previous year earlier in the Fokker Scourge, and they all became Brisfit squadrons. So really, don't you think they KNEW they needed to do something other than just fly along as sitting ducks?

Would be a great addition to a later version - the Lufbery Circle.

That would demand a totally different attack on them!