Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

Weeeeeell, nobody seems to be firing at the last few targets. Is it legal for me to have another go? I forgot the rules on this.dntknw.gif

ZZ.

Oooh. Keeping mum.grin.gif

ZZ.

Ps. Love your post-war Spad colors. Very nice....if only they had the brass to use those schemes DURING the conflict. Would have shown that not only the Germans have artistic flair, and the gumption to use it!

Edited by zoomzoom

This might be your's Zoom Zoom i'am struggling.unknw.gif

I am fortunate that we have such talented and generous skinners in the forum. Some Brit crates were tarted-up too but they seem to have been used in the flight schools.

I'm lost at these pics yet - my 36 hours will be over, before I found anything - raaaahhh!!!

Wow good ones Lou. I had no idea at all what #46 was. At first it looked like someone just threw parts a of a SPAD and an Albatros together. But after alot of searching I finally tracked her down.

Its a Wibault C-1, with a 220 hp Hispano-Suiza, 1918.

-Rooster

And you are oh so right Rooster! It is the Wibault C.1 with the 220 Hisso. :smile:

Well rooster i wouldn't of got that in a month of sundies,very well done sir.......

Thanks RedDog, I didn't think I was ever going to figure that one out. lol. I learned alot of good stuff looking that oddity up though.

-Rooster

Wow, Rooster - you guys must have sources!

The web fails me on this one, even when I know the name, I don't get a picture!

Raaaahhhhhhh!!!!

Olham, you will all have many of the same sources soon. I have quite a list of links I'll be posting. :wink:

Hi chaps, after 2 day's of looking at every crate ever made i think that No 45 is............................ a Packard Lepere Lusac 11.

Designed in 1917 by Capt. Georges LePere, a French aeronautical engineer working for the U.S. Army Air Service, the LUSAC 11 was the result of efforts to get an American built fighter into combat as soon as possible. The acronym "LUSAC" stood for LePere United States Army Combat. LePere designed the LUSAC 11 to be a combination fighter, light bomber and reconnaissance aircraft that carried a pilot and an observer/gunner.

Capt. LePere, along with several other French aviation engineers, worked on the design at the Packard Motor Car Co. of Detroit, Mich. Packard provided design and fabrication space and additional engineers, and the first prototype was completed in April 1918. After the three prototypes received generally favorable reviews from test pilots at Wilbur Wright Field, Ohio, the Bureau of Aircraft Production planned to order as many as 3,525 LUSAC 11s.

At war's end in November 1918, however, the Bureau cancelled its contracts, and only 28 production aircraft were built (with only seven of these built before the Armistice, none saw combat). The aircraft continued to fly in the Air Service, and specially modified LUSAC 11 became famous by setting a number of altitude records at Wright Field in the early 1920s.

The aircraft on display, the only LUSAC 11 in existence, originally went to France just before the end of the war. In 1989 the museum acquired it from the Musee de l'Air in Paris, France. After extensive restoration by museum personnel, it went on display in 1992. It is marked as it appeared while at the Allied test facility in Orly, France, in late 1918.

TECHNICAL NOTES:

Armament: Two .30-cal. Marlin and two .30-cal. Lewis machine guns

Engine: Liberty 12 of 400 hp

Maximum speed: 136 mph

Cruising speed: 118 mph

Range: 320 miles

Ceiling: 20,200 ft. (modified LUSAC 11 up to 39,700 ft. with turbosupercharger)

Span: 41 ft. 7 in.

Length: 25 ft. 3 in.

Height: 10 ft. 7 in.

Weight: 3,746 lbs. loaded

Serial number: SC 42133

That does it Red-Dog, excellent Sir! Yours is the final answer in "What's My Plane?"

It was a well-played contest everyone, and I hope fun for you all. Here are the final scores.

Olham, 28 points

Red-Dog, 22 points

Rickitycrate, 22 points

Dej, 21 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Duce Lewis, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Rooster89, 6 points

zoomzoom, 3 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

Olham is the grand winner of the event, with Red-Dog and Rickitycrate in a tie for 2nd, and Dej at 3rd. A big round of applause for all our contestants! Olham, if you will PM me your mailing address I will be sending along your Orden Pour le Mérite. The Blue Max is yours Sir, and well-deserved. Display it proudly.

blue_max.jpg

Salute.gif

Cheers!

Lou

Congrats Olham! Wear you medal with pride sir. clapping.gif That was grand fun , thanks Lou and everyone that played. drinks.gif

My god, I can't believe it - I brought the "Blue Max" home!

You wouldn't find anyone, who'd be happier about it than me - thank you very much for a great competiton,

for all the work on the photo sets, and for finding and achieving a wonderful price. I will honour it with a

display somehow, next to my "Cockpit". And I will try to achieve a "Pour Le Merite" in the sim, by flying more

with my "Creaghorn-style" pilot. I'll send you my adress in a minute.

Seeing, how everyone else seemed to "grow" during the last sets, I can only be glad, I got a lot of right answers

earlier on - otherwise you would have left me behind. Astonishing, what you guys all dig up!

For any future competition, I may have to "dress warm", as we say here, when something gets tough.

Dej, I assume you were caught up workwise too much in the finish, but I hope you would join in on any future

competition, if the will be one.

Thank you all - it was a great pleasure to fight with, and against you, gentlemen!

To the winner the spoils, Olham you can wear it with pride....Salute.gif

To every one else, we are all winners because of what wev'e learn't over the course of this comp.

And to Lou, Thanks a milllion for such a good quiz and spending the time and effort so we could all have so much fun. drinks.gif

Congratulations to everyone, and a special thanks to the "producer", RAF Louvert. It was very informative for me and many others I am sure.

You are all more than welcome! It was a lot of fun for me as well, and a learning experience to boot, (as these things always are). When I get back from my business trip I will be posting the links to the resources I used for this so that you all have them. Also, Olham's Blue Max is on its way to his door, and he is going to post a picture of it displayed in his flying room once he has it.

Cheers!

Lou

The coming days, I may be chewing my fingernails off, hoping the post won't get lost nor stolen.

Olham waiting for the medal is a bit like waiting for you claims to be confirmed, only worse. frantics.gif

Red Dog. Well there we are my friend. Tied for second place. You and I were neck and neck for most of the contest. Seems right it ended the way it did. Salute.gif

::salute: :salute: ::salute::drinks::salute:: :salute: : :good:

Edited by Olham

Hehay, it's finished. Almost missed the end.

I'm afraid 14 hour working days these past few left me no time for the necessary research and I had to drop out. Well played everybody and especial congratulations to Olham for the top spot. I expect, nay, demand his graphic designer skills be put to use mocking up an Olham Sanke, proudly sporting his first (but I expect not his last) Blue Max. :grin: Bet you're looking forward to the next facy dress party too.

Can't wait to see those links, Lou, and as everyone else has said, thanks tremendously for hosting a throughly enjoyable and enlightening contest. :good::ok::salute:

Congratulations Olham.drinks.gif There'll be a party in the messhall tonight! Great competition everyone, I really enjoyed it. Thanks for putting it on for us Lou.

-Rooster