Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

It's Time To Play,"What's My Plane" !

Folks, no fears about any of you missing the end of this contest. Sounds like you're all around until Friday, and I will likely get another photo set or two posted before then, along with the odd Wild Card. And then my weekend is quite busy as well so I likely won't be posting the final photo set, or sets, until early next week. And Dej, I have several such fiendishly difficult photos that would keep you all busy for a while and then some.

Now, where did I leave the pic of that thing-a-ma-jig that looks like it should be a radio but in reality is a martini shaker and scone toaster?

Cheers!

Lou

Well, I say, it wouldn't be sporting if some were not able to be in the game when they wish to be. It's in the hands of "the man". What do you say Lou?

I am just fine with not posting any new pics from Friday through Monday. That means I get a break too...WOOO HOOO!

Sounds like a plan "the man". Full steam ahead 'til Friday then a nail-biting final match... Superbowl XXV for WW1 fans. :good:

Whuh? There were more pictures?

Damn!!rofl.gif

ZZ.

Thats ok....I'm happy with my 1 point.grin.gif

You guys are quick.

Thanks chaps for your gamesmanship, this is what makes this forum so special. drinks.gif

DING DING DING !!! WILD CARD PHOTO !

The first to correctly identify the object highlighted by the arrow in the photo, how it functioned, and what aircraft it is fitted to will be awarded 2 bonus points. You must be spot on with all answers to win.

Good Luck!

I say it's a Barograph, a special Version of that would be the "Höhenschreiber" (Altigraph), which was used

in aeronautics. In this picturem it is in the canopy/cockpit of an airship.

It is attached hanging freely, so it can work.

I hope I understood that right, that you don't want the specific airship here?

A barograph is a recording aneroid barometer. It produces a paper or foil chart called a barogram that records the barometric pressure over time.

Barographs use one or more aneroid cells acting through a gear orlever train to drive a recording arm that has at its extreme end eithera scribe or a pen. A scribe records on smoked foil while a pen recordson paper using ink, held in a knib. The recording material is mountedon a cylindrical drum which is rotated slowly by clockwork. Commonly, the drum makes one revolution per day, per week, or per month and the rotation rate can often be selected by the user.

Because the amount of movement that can be generated by a singleaneroid is minuscule, up to seven aneroids (so called Vidie-cans) areoften stacked "in series" to amplify their motion. It was invented in1843 by the Frenchman Lucien Vidie (1805-1866).

As atmospheric pressure responds in a predictable manner to changesin altitude, barographs may be used to record elevation changes duringan aircraft flight. Barographs were required by the FAI to record certain tasks and record attempts associated with sailplanes.A continuously varying trace indicated that the sailplane had notlanded during a task, while measurements from a calibrated trace couldbe used to establish the completion of altitude tasks or the setting ofrecords. Examples of FAI approved sailplane barographs included theReplogle mechanical drum barograph and the EW electronic barograph(which may be used in conjunction with GPS). Mechanical barographs are not commonly used for flight documentation now, having been displaced by GNSS Flight Recorders.

Nowadays, mechanical recording barographs for meteorlogical use havecommonly been superseded (though not all) by electronic weatherinstruments that use computermethods to record the barometric pressure. These are not only lessexpensive than mechanical barographs but they may also offer bothgreater recording length and the ability to perform further data analysison the captured data including automated use of the data to forecastthe weather. Older Mechanical Barographs are highly prized bycollectors as they make good display items, often being made of highquality woods and brass.

The most common weather Barograph found in homes and publicbuildings these days are the 8-day type. Some important manufacturersof Barographs are Negretti and Zambra,Short and Mason, and Richard Ferris among others. The late Victorian toearly 20th century is generally considered to be the heyday ofBarograph manufacture, many important refinments were made at thistime, including improved temperature compensation and modification ofthe pen arm, to allow less weight to be applied to the paper, allowingbetter registration of small pressure changes (i.e Less friction on the knib). Marine barographs (used on ships) often include damping,this evens out the motion of the ship so that a more stable reading canbe obtained, this can be either oil damping of the mechanism or simplecoiled spring feet on the base.

Geesh, I think Olham pegged this one. But I will offer the ship its in. I'd wager its in a Zeppelin type airship, due to the Naval style steering wheel and the large windows and HUGE cabin.

ZZ.

Forgive me if you already said this Olham, I've got to go back and re-read.

Edit....Nope..Olham nailed that too...Good Job!clapping.gif

Edited by zoomzoom

Yuppers, Olham definitely grabbed this one, WTG Sir. It is ineed a höhenschreiber installed in one of the Kaiser's Zeps. Here is a pic showing the inner workings of the device:

This particular unit was calibrated all the way up to 8,000 meters. How you would like to be cruising that high for hours on end with the drafty cockpits and cabins, flight gear, and oxygen systems available in 1918? blink.gif

Here are the contest standings as of right now:

Olham, 22 points

Dej, 19 points

Red-Dog, 14 points

Rickitycrate, 14 points

Bullethead, 5 points

Duce Lewis, 5 points

Luftace, 5 points

Burning Beard, 4 points

Check Six, 2 points

rhythalion, 2 points

JohnGresham, 1 point

Shrikehawk, 1 point

TonyO, 1 point

zoomzoom, 1 point

Cheers!

Lou

Lou, I always wonder where you manage to find those pics.

Even when I assumed it might be a gyroscope or a Barograph or Altigraph,

I didn't find these pics or even pics near that in Google picture search.

You must be a museum - well, you even knew the Seeflieger Norderney. :salute:

Well Olham, over the years I have collected together a few WW1 aviation books and references of my own in addition to a rather extensive list of online resources. Also, as I mentioned earlier, I will be posting a list of links to the websites I used during the course of this contest, so you will have that at your disposal too. :smile:

Cheers!

Lou

Yep, Well done, Olham. You nabbed that one well... in barely an hour.

Lou, are we on the 4 day break yet or will there be more?

As far as I understood, the break will be from Friday to Monday?

Lou: Folks, no fears about any of you missing the end of this contest.Sounds like you're all around until Friday, and I will likely getanother photo set or two posted before then, along with the odd WildCard.

Edited by Olham

DING DING DING !!! WILD CARD PHOTO !

The first to correctly identify the objects in the photo, what aircraft they belonged to, the thread count of the canvas used on said aircraft and who the manufacturer of the canvas was, the country of origin and name of the designer of the valve stems on the tires fitted to this aircraft, who the first pilot to ever fly this plane type was and his older sister's middle name, and what Kaiser Wilhelm II's favorite fruit was will be awarded 500 bonus points. You must be spot on with all answers and you must post a video of yourself performing MC Hammer's 1990 hit "U Can't Touch This", (complete with dance moves), in order to win.

Good Luck!

PSYCH! biggrin.gif

Enjoy the sabbatical everyone, I should be back from my business trip by Wednesday night of next week, and I will have the next photo set ready to go upon my return.

Cheers!

Lou

Business trip, hmm??? I can only hope, someone sober will do the driving.

Have fun, Lou!

Like the prodigal son, I have returned. I ended up with a few more stops along the way than originally intended so I did not make it home until last night. Did have the excitement yesterday of seeing a full grown, full antlered bull moose meandering along the edge of a small rural road as I was coming back through North Dakota. Pulled over and just watched him for a while as he worked his way across the bogs in the low mist that hung in the cool, early morning air. An impressive and inspiring sight.

I will be posting the next set of photos in several hours, so be on the look-out.

Cheers!

Lou

Damn! Tough week at work, get to Friday night and I still can't relax! LOL! Welcome back Lou. Good luck everyone. :salute:

Edited by Dej

Once more unto the breach, brave contestants, once more. Remember the rules, have fun, and give those fantastically complete answers you've all gotten so good at.

Round 10 begins now. Good luck everyone. Let's play What's My Plane!

HI, No 39 is the Handley Page Type O/100 Which fell in to German hands ?

The first bomber squadron of the HP O/100 was formed in August 1916 and was deployed on the Western Front in November 1916 by 7A Squadron, RNAS, stationed at Dunkirk, France.

• Construction: bi-plane; wings with a parasol type bracing towards the end of the upper wing and a bi-plane tail; wooden frame covered with doped fabric (linen); glazed cockpit and armoured plating to protect the crew and engines. The complete bi-plane wing folded to a maximum width of 34ft (10.4m) and height of 18ft (5.5m) thus facilitating under-cover storage.
  • Crew: four or five – pilot, observer and two or three gunners.
  • Engines: two Rolls Royce 260hp Eagle II, V-12 cylinder, water-cooled, mounted in two nacelles, situated between the wings one on each side of the fuselage and powering tractor propellers. The fuel tanks were located in the engine nacelles.
  • Dimensions: wingspan = 100ft (30.5m); length = 62.8ft (19.1m); height = 22.0ft (6.7m).
  • Speed: 76mph (122kph) at 6,500ft (1850m).
  • Operational ceiling: 8,500ft (2,590m)
  • Armament: one or two 0.303in (7.7mm) Lewis guns mounted in each of the forward, dorsal and ventral gun turrets – total three to six guns.
  • Maximum bomb load: 6,000lbs (2,700kg) carried in internal bomb bay as eight 250lb (93kg) bombs, or sixteen 112lb (42kg) bombs plus a 1,650lb (616kg) bomb carried externally.

The first prototype flew on 7 December 1915, but was found to be overweight. Accordingly, the cockpit glazing and armoured plate was removed in the second prototype which first flew in April 1916. This type became the production model and a total of 42 production

The HP O/100 first saw service in a night attack on the 16/17 March 1917, when a single aircraft attacked a German railway station at Moulin-lès-Metz in occupied France. Also daylight attacks began including a successful attack on a German destroyer in April 1917. However, due to a loss of an aircraft to German fighters, the HP O/100 was restricted to night attacks, usually by single aircraft, whilst the targets were changed to enemy-occupied Channel ports, airfields and the railway system.

Other deployments were anti-U-boat patrols in British waters and to Greece where a HP O/100 based at Mudros, Lemnos attacked Constantinople, the capital of the Ottoman Empire

One HP O/100 fell into German hands in January 1917 when it strayed behind enemy lines, but it subsequently crashed whilst being test-flown

The HP O/100 was successfully flown throughout the war but was superseded by a more powerful engined Type, with some additional technical modifications, the HP O/400.

Handley Page Type O/400 (hereafter HP O/400)

The more notable specification changes of this Type were:

• Engines: two 360hp Rolls-Royce Eagle VIII, V-12. Other compatible engines were used i.e. Liberty (USA), Sunbeam Maori and Cossack (British) and Fiat (Italian).
  • Fuel tanks: relocated from the two engine nacelles to the fuselage.
  • Speed: 97mph (156kph).
Edited by Red-Dog

Outstanding Red-Dog! It is the HP 0/100 as evidenced by the larger engine nacelles housing the fuel tanks. I don't think this was the particular craft that fell into German hands, but it was one like it. Great info Sir. And just as a reminder to all, please remember to note your sources.

Two more point for you Red-Dog.

Cheers!

Lou