Sign in to follow this  
DukeIronHand

American Campaign...

Been away on RT stuff but I just d/l'ed all the patches.

Usually I have three pilots going - one German, one British, and one American.

Tried to start a American campaign in April 1918 where I presumed I would be flying N-28's with

Eddie Rickenbacker however the soonest I could start was (IIRC) September with Spads.

Have not tried this with all the new patches.

Am I doing something wrong?

nope, you're not doing anything wrong. the SPAD XIII and SPAD VII are the only aircraft in the current OFF campaign for American careers.

the Nieuport 28 hasn't been modelled yet. the earliest you can start is around Feb-March 1918 flying the SPAD VII.

Not fully true, Waldemar - you can also join American squads flying the Camel.

You can also fly American with the Lafayette Esquadrille starting in N11 and going through 16's, 17's and SPAD VII.

Beard

No N-28!?!

Hehe...I guess I always presumed it was modeled and never bothered to check.

Guess that would explain the problem! I think every WW1 flightsim I have ever touched has had a N-28.

Anyone up to the challenge of making one? OBD?

Thanks all.

Edited by DukeIronHand

I think it was Sandbagger who said they had one in the works

Can't wait for that sweet li'l bird! nyam.gif

Is Sandbagger part of OBD or will this be a aftermarket plane?

And I am not familiar with the CFS3 campaign structure.

Will OFF campaign files have to be modified to fly the N-28 in

campaign mode? I.e., Flying with 94 Sqd in April. 1918 with the

N-28 then the campaign switching to Spads in July 1918?

After reading that last paragraph I probably answered my own question.

Certainly it won't be as easy as just adding the N-28 to the AC folder.

Don't worry, Duke, Sandbagger is doing his craft for OBD, and so it will be fully integrated,

once it is ready. I am also looking forward to it, cause I guess, that it was a much underrated craft

with wing problems early on, which got solved, but by then, they had already decided for other craft.

My Albatros DIII and DV versions also show a weakness in the lower wings, but once you learnt what

to avoid, they are still very good fighters. I believe, the same could be said about the N 28.

The more I read about the N.28, the more interesting the crate becomes. It seems that after the initial wing problems were fixed, it was a good scout, quite fast and definitely much more nimble than the SPAD, like any Nupe should be. With a more reliable engine it would have been much more successful, I think, but it never got the chance as the Americans had already decided to get the S.XIIIs - not a bad choice, either...

Winder will be building the model, Sandbagger will be doing the skins, and the Yank squadrons are all being rebuilt, with full complements of historical pilots. However, it will be a little way down the airfield - we have been busy with patches, and still have a couple of other aircraft to push out the door first.

Cheers,

shredward

Great news, Shredward!

Time doesn't matter there, as long as we know it will come.

We have craft enough, we haven't experienced yet, I think.

And now we have something to look forward to as well.

I am also looking forward to it, cause I guess, that it was a much underrated craft

with wing problems early on, which got solved, but by then, they had already decided for other craft.

That's pretty much my thoughts too

Ironically the USAS ordered 600 more N. 28; at wars end

Most probably the birds in Dawn Patrol and Hell's Angels

I find the wing issues a little vexing

No one ever died in a N.28 wing failure

Earlier Nieups and Abatri had much more serious wing failures with lower wings breaking completely off

Yet of the 3, only the N.28 was spurned

Winder will be building the model, Sandbagger will be doing the skins, and the Yank squadrons are all being rebuilt, with full complements of historical pilots.

Yahoo.gif

Yes - I will admit some odd attraction to the N-28 also.

I have a passion for all WW1 aircraft but the N-28 is somehow different and I can't

explain why.

Looking forward to the release!

The N28 is rarely seen in anything but US colors, whereas the SXIII was used by the French and British in large numbers. Maybe that is why Americans are attracted to it.:english_en:

The N28 is rarely seen in anything but US colors, whereas the SXIII was used by the French and British in large numbers. Maybe that is why Americans are attracted to it.:english_en:

I am sure that The Germans will be attracted to it as well!? ratatatatatatatatat :yikes:

You know, there may be a little truth in this.

I would guess if there was a "American" plane in the Great War it would be the N-28.

As a bonus in any sim I have ever played (even in FITS/Dawn Patrol - any fans here?) it has always been a solid performer.

And reference Dawn Patrol (the movie) I have it on tape - were they not N-23's or N-27's? I forget, its been a while - note to self - find Dawn Patrol on DVD.

You can also fly American with the Lafayette Esquadrille starting in N11 and going through 16's, 17's and SPAD VII.

Beard

How can i enlist a new american Pilot in Lafayette Esquadrille? In the american Pilot choose section there is no option for. only us squads.

horowae, in the USA section, there are only the really American squads.

If you want to fly the Escadrille Lafayette, you must create a pilot in the French

section. You could still give him an American name.

I am sure that The Germans will be attracted to it as well!? ratatatatatatatatat yikes.gif

You know, there may be a little truth in this.

I would guess if there was a "American" plane in the Great War it would be the N-28.

As a bonus in any sim I have ever played (even in FITS/Dawn Patrol - any fans here?) it has always been a solid performer.

And reference Dawn Patrol (the movie) I have it on tape - were they not N-23's or N-27's? I forget, its been a while - note to self - find Dawn Patrol on DVD.

I'm not sure if the British ever showed any interest in the N.28

...but the French rejected it completely and passed it on to the USAS

Maybe USAS Brass felt like they were getting a 2nd rate plane right from the beginning

The wing failures might have just reinforced their thoughts and gave an excuse to dump her

There is a fairly modern equivalent to this

At the time of the development of the F16, Northrup redesigned it's F5 to become the F20

The F20 was a very good plane but the USAF selected the F16 for contracts

Offering both for sale worldwide, most favored nations were allowed to purchase the F16

Not so favored nations could only buy the F20

Well, nobody wanted the 2nd banana and F20 sales totaled "0"

D-I-H, the Dawn Patrol planes were N.28's, Errol Flynn (err, the stunt pilot) performed a nifty barrol roll near the end

There were also N.28's in Hell's Angels

They were only background though in the Se5 squadrons to fill the ranks

Se's got all the close-ups

Well, courtesy of YouTube I saw a bit of Dawn Patrol - though it was kinda slow so I didn't watch alot.

I certainly saw some N-28's plus several others. Thomas Morse Scouts (I think that is the correct name) + some other Nieuport types?

In the short bit I watched it appeared some N-28's took off but then in the air they became, I think, the Morse Scouts.

Anyone with a good connection - and great plane knowledge - want to try and name all the types? I think there a 4 kinds on the "allied" side.

EDIT:

Well, I guess you can find about anything on the internet. This is from Wikipedia:

"Aircraft

Howard Hawks assembled a variety of planes in a film squadron to shoot the flying scenes for the original version of The Dawn Patrol. Hawks used rebuilt Nieuport 28s as the primary airplane for the British squadron, and Travel Air 4000s (reconfigured for films and popularly known as "Wichita Fokkers")[20][21] for German fighters, but other aircraft in his small fleet included Standard J-1s for shots of entire squadrons, some of which were blown up in explosions, and Waterman-Boeing C biplanes for German aircraft destroyed in crashes. The scene in which Scott takes off with Courtney clinging to the wing switches to a shot of a Travel Air 4U Speedwing fitted with a round cowl over its Comet engine to resemble the Nieuports. Stunt pilots included Leo Nomis, Rupert Symes Macalister, Frank Tomick, and Roy Wilson.[22]

1938 director Goulding used much of this footage in the remake to save production costs.[1] For new closeups of airplanes with his own actors, he acquired three Nieuport 28 replicas from Garland Lincoln, a Van Nuys, California, stunt pilot who also recreated World War I aircraft for Hollywood films. Built by Claude Flagg, these "LF-1"s were constructed from Nieuport plans and had many characteristics of the actual aircraft, including upper wing fabric that ripped in dives. In Goulding's production these aircraft also appear in a few scenes of Nieuports taking off, landing, and taxiing. Additional Nieuport 28s were simulated by Thomas-Morse S-4C Scouts, and two were used in the flying scene in which Courtney and Scott attack the German airdrome. 59th Squadron's airplanes were marked in standard RFC camouflage and national insignia, had the marking "NIEU 24" painted on their tail fins,[23] and displayed a cartoon Hornet painted on each side of the fuselage just behind the cockpit.[22]

For scenes at the German airdrome in which aircraft were moved or had engines turning, Goulding used Wichita Fokkers painted black with German markings. His "Pfalzes" had their wings painted in a large and striking black and white checkerboard pattern. Goulding also acquired two genuine Pfalz D.XII fighters for static closeup shots of parked fighters, with at least one re-painted white in a later scene to "expand" their numbers. Actual Nieuport 28s and Pfalz D.XIIs were used much later in the war than the 1915 setting of The Dawn Patrol, and the model 28 Nieuport was not used by the RFC at all, but their familiarity of appearance to American audiences gave a verisimilitude to both films.[22]"

Edited by DukeIronHand