Sign in to follow this  
feldwebel

tutorials for sf2? How to take off, etc.

I have all those......:drinks::yikes:

How cool is that! You would probably love the IfTach Spector book then - an easier read but describes some remarkable dogfights - particularly one where he ends up in an almost static scissors (F-4E vs MiG-21), tactics used, Osirak, USS Liberty - some priceless info!

The Iranian pilots were actually trained in the US by the USAF in the 1960s and 1970s and had far superior equipment compared to Iraq - the Iraqi pilots were really up against it until the later years of the war.

From the late 1960s Israeli pilots were USAF trained.

The USAF were also surprised at how good some Egyptian pilots were when they started training them (when Egypt started receiving allied equipment) - because like you they assumed they must all have been useless pilots.

And this refutes the pathetic combat record of arab militaries from 1945 onward how, exactly?

It doesn't matter if you have individually skilled pilots if the rest of the military including the leadership is incompetent at best and downright useless at worst.

And this refutes the pathetic combat record of arab militaries from 1945 onward how, exactly?

It doesn't matter if you have individually skilled pilots if the rest of the military including the leadership is incompetent at best and downright useless at worst.

**** sorry - guess I will try to make it a bit clearer next time!

The combat record of all Arab militaries (is that the Army/Navy also?) was never up for discussion - you know that - In case you didnt get it I was setting you straight on your last 2 posts with a few facts (well as close as) which I can actually back up and show that what you put was mostly utter ****.

The fact is they did have some good pilots despite losing the overall wars and fought and flew as well as they could.......so an F-15C merging with an Iraqi MiG-29A for a gun fight potentially provided a very dangerous and experienced MiG driver.

The fact is they did have some good pilots despite losing the overall wars and fought and flew as well as they could.......so an F-15C merging with an Iraqi MiG-29A for a gun fight potentially provided a very dangerous and experienced MiG driver.

Except noone cares about individual pilot skill since aircombat is a team game. And if your team isn't up to par you lose and it doesn't matter how good you are as an individual. Same reason noone can build a good football team around one star only. The last time a military valued individual skill over everything else it eventually ended up as the great Marianas turkey shoot.

Except noone cares about individual pilot skill since aircombat is a team game. And if your team isn't up to par you lose and it doesn't matter how good you are as an individual. Same reason noone can build a good football team around one star only. The last time a military valued individual skill over everything else it eventually ended up as the great Marianas turkey shoot.

And that doesnt change one of the things I was getting at - that the Arabs actually had a few good pilots.

No it doesn't, but in the context of the Mig-29's 0-12 kill ratio it doesn't really matter.

I have a question, is there a way to know wether the target you locked on to is enemy or friendly?

I have a question, is there a way to know wether the target you locked on to is enemy or friendly?

for my little knowledge, when flying an aircraft with a computerized radar capable of TWS mode (Track While Scan) with the Friend or Foe system like F-15 and from MiG-29, Su-27 you can see after some seconds, the radar recognize if the target is friend or foe.

Example, on mig-29/Su-27 radar, friendlies are circles while bandits are triangles. beware to wait few seconds every new spot or pass to let the IFF system work.

Aircombat mode (as far as i know in thirdwire games) will lock on every target it gets... friend or foe.

If you use difficulty setting RADAR easy or normal you cant lock friendly... in hardmode you can lock and fire on friendly.

about the mig kill ratio what i think is:

- USA really great gap versus Soviet is the all-time radar superiority. Starting in sixties, phantoms got very long range radars while early MiG-21s didn't neither have a crappy radar.

- USA second really great gap versus soviet was the armament:

the firsts AIM-9B rear aspect was quite inaccurate but somewhat effective compared to rear aspect Atoll-A or Aphid-A. When USA developed AIM-9L (all aspect IR missile) then the gap in short range missiles was really too much.

the AIM-7 sparrow was another really great advantage. in later sixties. phantoms firing range was near 15-20 miles while soviet firing range was again in visual contact.

- USA unmatched ECM and ECCM capability.

- USA really great AWACS support.

- USA planes like phantoms could load unmatched number of air-to-air missiles. MiG-21s could only load from 2 to 4 missiles, mig-23 in the seventies from 4 to 6.

the gap became too much when F-15 start filling the ranks. whas the first plane with unmatched speed (only mig-25 at high altitude could overrun a f-15) computerized radar, etc...

from my point of view, the mig-29 and the Su-27 was the only fighters that could have some chance against USA fighters in the second half of the eighties. the chart performance of these planes was good, R-73 archer missiles wasn't so bad, R-27 alamos wasnt so bad too. Su-27 got really nice air-air missile tonnage and hardpoints.

that's is what i can say... on the chart mig-29s and su-27 was the projects that shortens the gap but still behind USA planes... a lot behind.

Hi ASRAAM, er Moongoose:blink: ..... (I know who you are, can't hide your IP from me)

Those Mig-29's and SU-27'a are only as good as the pilots in them. So far the war records for them arent too hot.

Hi ASRAAM, er Moongoose:blink: ..... (I know who you are, can't hide your IP from me)

Those Mig-29's and SU-27'a are only as good as the pilots in them. So far the war records for them arent too hot.

WOOT! i knew i shoulda reboot the router this.gif

well i suppose war records are about export mig-29s since cold war ended just when mig-29s and su-27s entered service... so russian version (with russian weapons) never fought against western planes...

i suppose you're talking about iraq records or export countries...

Citation:

"For example,in Serbia,during 1999,5 Mig-29s got shot down,they were unable to acquire any target due to non functioning radars and jamming and were greatly outnumbered by an enemy that had support of

AWACS aircraft. Therefore this cannot be considered as "combat record"... "

Citation:

"The only known combat of the MiG-29 involved Ethiopian Su-27s and Eritrean MiG-29s all allegedly flown by mercenary pilots. The Combat started BVR and ended up with R-73s, The MiG-29s were shot down...I think you can find more details on acig

Another rumour is that Indian MiG-29s painted Pakistani F-16s during Kargil war but were out of range of the R-27s"

There aren't kill records about USSR/Russian MiG-29s or Su-27s.

and im not saying that 29s and su-27s was/are superior to USA/Nato fighters... i'm only sayin that are the projects that reduced the tech gap... since there aren't non-export version records, i think we'll never know.

but at same pilot skill, in a 1vs1 dogfight, i can suppose that a pilot F-15/F-16 should at least do his best.

... And im really impartial and objective because im not neither american neither russian... i'm just italian... and italy is not really famous for aviators and pilots drinks.gifheat.gif

EDIT: and i'm talking about that specific era ('80s '90s) because actual F-31s F-35s are LOT superior. (in datasheets (?) terms).

Edited by MoonGoose

for my little knowledge, when flying an aircraft with a computerized radar capable of TWS mode (Track While Scan) with the Friend or Foe system like F-15 and from MiG-29, Su-27 you can see after some seconds, the radar recognize if the target is friend or foe.

Example, on mig-29/Su-27 radar, friendlies are circles while bandits are triangles. beware to wait few seconds every new spot or pass to let the IFF system work.

Aircombat mode (as far as i know in thirdwire games) will lock on every target it gets... friend or foe.

If you use difficulty setting RADAR easy or normal you cant lock friendly... in hardmode you can lock and fire on friendly.

Alright, thanks for the info.