Sign in to follow this  
Typhoid

2 new flight crew positions opening up

I'd love to hear the black box cockpit recording about their "heated discussion"! boxing.gif

Guaranteed they were bitching about the Delta/Northwest merger, ALPA, management,etc.

Morons. I've lost comm before....but never flown PAST my destination...and that's in the middle of the friggin night.

FC

LOL, hope my planes won't overshoot their destinations blink.gif

turns out these two idiotic morons were using their laptops to discuss crew schedules!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,569557,00.html

this is beyond idiotic, unprofessional deriliction of their flight crew duties.

I don't imagine they will have too much difficulty managing their future crew assignments..........

Well, we actually do use laptops in the cockpit for flying purposes, that in and of itself isn't unusual.

It would be the equal of using paper schedules to point out things to each other.

However, again, even losing comm isn't necessarily a huge deal, it sometimes happens, but usually gets fixed pretty quickly with a guard call or just "Hey, I haven't heard from anyone in a while, let me call center...".

But the amount of time out of comm and the very large overshooting of their destination...I can't fathom how that happened AT ALL. Seriously, I haven't a clue on this one other than they were both sleeping.

FC

Well, we actually do use laptops in the cockpit for flying purposes, that in and of itself isn't unusual.

It would be the equal of using paper schedules to point out things to each other.

However, again, even losing comm isn't necessarily a huge deal, it sometimes happens, but usually gets fixed pretty quickly with a guard call or just "Hey, I haven't heard from anyone in a while, let me call center...".

But the amount of time out of comm and the very large overshooting of their destination...I can't fathom how that happened AT ALL. Seriously, I haven't a clue on this one other than they were both sleeping.

FC

that's more the point I was trying to make. I realize that using laptops is just the new version of checklists and kneeboard cards. But to be talking about crew schedules on your laptop for over an hour and running over your destination?

I suspect they are really just trying to cover up that they were both asleep.

in any case, I doubt they'll worrying about their future crew schedules anymore.........

Call Mulder and Scully! Er, Dunham and Bishop from Fringe Division! This is a clear case of missing time syndrome. I believe we're looking at the mass abduction of everyone on the plane!!!

BS. They were using the onboard wireless server to play WoW :lol:

these guys are so toasted....

I've bolded a section below.

------

NTSB ADVISORY

National Transportation Safety Board

Washington, DC 20594

October 26, 2009

NTSB ISSUES UPDATE ON ITS INVESTIGATION OF FLIGHT 188 THAT

OVERFLEW INTENDED MINNEAPOLIS AIRPORT

In its continuing investigation of an Airbus A320 that overflew the Minneapolis-St Paul International/Wold- Chamberlain Airport (MSP), the National Transportation Safety Board has developed the following factual information: On Wednesday, October 21, 2009, at 5:56 pm mountain daylight time, an Airbus A320, operating as Northwest Airlines (NWA) flight 188, became a NORDO (no radio communications) flight at 37,000 feet. The flight was operating as a Part 121 flight from San Diego International Airport, San Diego, California (SAN) to MSP with 144 passengers, 2 pilots and 3 flight attendants.

Both pilots were interviewed separately by NTSB investigators yesterday in Minnesota. The following is an overview of the interviews:

* The first officer and the captain were interviewed for over 5 hours combined.

* The Captain, 53 years old, was hired in 1985. His total flight time is about 20,000 hours, about 10,000 hours of A-320 time of which about 7,000 was as pilot in command.

* The First Officer, 54 years old, was hired in 1997. His total flight time is about 11,000 hours, and has about 5,000 hours on the A-320.

* Both pilots said they had never had an accident, incident or violation.

* Neither pilot reported any ongoing medical conditions.

* Both pilots stated that they were not fatigued. They were both commuters, but they had a 19-hour layover in San Diego just prior to the incident flight. Both said they did not fall asleep or doze during the flight.

* Both said there was no heated argument.

* Both stated there was a distraction in the cockpit.

The pilots said there was a concentrated period of discussion where they did not monitor the airplane or calls from ATC even though both stated they heard conversation on the radio. Also, neither pilot noticed messages that were sent by company dispatchers. They were discussing the new monthly crew flight scheduling system that was now in place as a result of the merger. The discussion began at cruise altitude.

* Both said they lost track of time.

* Each pilot accessed and used his personal laptop computer while they discussed the airline crew flight scheduling procedure. The first officer, who was more familiar with the procedure was providing instruction to the captain. The use of personal computers on the flight deck is prohibited by company policy.* Neither pilot was aware of the airplane's position until a flight attendant called about 5 minutes before they were scheduled to land and asked what was their estimated time of arrival (ETA). The captain said, at that point, he looked at his primary flight display for an ETA and realized that they had passed MSP. They made contact with ATC and were given vectors back to MSP.

* At cruise altitude - the pilots stated they were using cockpit speakers to listen to radio communications, not their headsets.

* When asked by ATC what the problem was, they replied "just cockpit distraction" and "dealing with company issues".

* Both pilots said there are no procedures for the flight attendants to check on the pilots during flight.

The Safety Board is interviewing the flight attendants and other company personnel today. Air traffic control communications have been obtained and are being analyzed. Preliminary data from the cockpit voice recorder (CVR) revealed the following:

* The CVR recording was 1/2 hour in length.

* The cockpit area microphone channel was not working during this recording. However, the crew's headset microphones recorded their conversations.

* The CVR recording began during final approach, and continued while the aircraft was at the gate.

* During the hours immediately following the incident flight, routine aircraft maintenance provided power to the CVR for a few minutes on several occasions, likely recording over several minutes of the flight.

The FDR captured the entire flight which contained several hundred aircraft parameters including the portion of flight where there was no radio communication from the flight crew. Investigators are examining the recorded parameters to see if any information regarding crew activity during the portion of flight where radio contact was lost can be obtained.

The Safety Board's investigation continues.

What really sucks about this is that now the feds may consider getting involved and make a law prohibiting such devices on the flight deck.

One of the things we fight in my civilian job on back side of the clock flying is boredom...not having enough stress is just as dangerous as too much. Electronic devices (non-transmitting) can be just as much of a help as something like a book, sudoku, crosswords, etc. The trick, as with anything else, is a good crosscheck.

One person craps in their pants, and the rest of us have to wear diapers...

FC

One person craps in their pants, and the rest of us have to wear diapers...

FC

Haha, yeah, its the same on both sides of the fence. One Ops guy gets lost at Chicago O'Hare and now all airport vehicles everywhere need progressive instructions and not encompassing ones (IE, can't say, west side of the airfield is yours). Imagine how fun that'll be once the snow falls, or how that could even possibly work when they have to chase a coyote off the field.

Problem is there's no good way of forcing common sense into people. So long as there's people out there who do stupid things that end up becoming a safety risk, we have to make new rules that unfortunately hurt those of us with a working brain.

As a fueler (and a pilot), I've come up with a hell of a solution. Simply give them the planned fuel, none of this 'alternate' or 'reserve' nonsense! Once the engines flame out, they've GOTTA land! :grin:

And for the disclaimer... just kidding.

Heated discussion or not? Personally I think they were catching a few Z's. From my experience in the bus radio chatter can sound as soothing as your mother's voice if you're tired enough. Selcal will definately wake you up when you get an alert. Not sure how much CPDLC (controller pilot datalink communication) is used in the states. We use it a lot flying long haul and it sure gets quiet when you don't have to talk to anyone and the all the controllers do is monitor your position through this equipment. Where were the flight attendants? They're supposed to check every 20/30 mins on the pilots. Regardless one thing I can say is never say it will never happen to me...

Happens to the best. An interesting poast at the Market Ticker forum in a thread on this story.

Ishmael::

My father who was a wing commander with SAC said one time his three man crew B47 all fell asleep flying from Spain to the states one time with two 20 megatons on board. Of course they were not armed and even in a crash would not have gone off. He said the sun shinning into the ****pit warmed everything up so they just dozed off and this was before they had all the fancy equipment. The navigator really had to navigate.

~ http://tickerforum.org/cgi-ticker/akcs-www?post=115397

And a whole B-52 crew.

Sleeping Through an ORI by Lt. Col. Peter Katsufrakis::

:

:

:

In what seemed like only a blink of the eye, I discovered that my chin was resting on my chest and immediately realized that I had fallen asleep. I looked over at the copilot to find him snoring away. I jumped onto the intercom and asked what was going on. Complete silence. The entire crew had succumbed to the sand man and were sleeping like babies.

I looked outside. To my complete horror the ramp was empty. All of those Buffs that had been there what seemed like only seconds before were GONE. We'd obviously slept through the klaxon....

:

:

:

Good story, and they got lucky that time hehe.

~ http://www.strategic-air-command.com/stories/stories_home.htm

Only the best! :salute: Although these guys worked LONG hours (days and days really) so every nap in the pit was well earned.