Sign in to follow this  

Hi Guys,

got a quick question to the skinning masters here.

How can I best create agood base for an bare metal / aluminium skin?

I have seen some outstanding FS repaints, but find no info on drawing them...

Here's how I make my aluminium in Photoshop...

Create a new file, with whatever dimensions you want, set the background to transparent. Make a new layer on top of this so you have two active layers, both transparent.

Then, using the colour palette, select two different greys, one dark and one light. Something like these:

alumtut1.jpg

Now with the dark grey selected as the foreground colour, fill the bottom layer using the Paint Bucket Tool. Now hit "x" to swap

the background and foreground colours, so that the light grey is the foreground colour. Now fill the top layer with the light grey using the same tool again. Should be like this...

alumtut2.jpg

alumtut3.jpg

With the bottom layer selected and the top layer invisible, go to Filter > Noise > Add Noise and using roughly the following settings:

alumtut4.jpg

Now make the top layer visible and select it. Go and add the same Noise filter to this layer using the same settings as the last one.

Once this is done, again, make the top layer invisible, and select the bottom layer. This time go to Filter > Blur > Motion Blur and use the following settings. (Note - the direction is key in which way you want the "brushed" effect of the aluminium to be.

Usually, this is horizontal, so a direction of 0 works just fine.)

The bottom layer should now look like this:

alumtut5.jpg

Go ahead and apply the same Motion Blur filter with the same settings to the top layer.

Now comes the part where you want to blend the layers together a little bit. I have found that changing the blending mode of the top layer to "Overlay" works okay:

alumtut6.jpg

You can play with the opacities to fine tune it to achieve different types and grades of aluminium.

You can always take this slightly further by going ahead and applying a texture on top of what you have just created. This may give it a more realistic appearance. Copy a metal texture aluminium (I now get all of mine from http://www.cgtextures.com (thanks Julhelm)) into a new layer on top of the two existing layers:

alumtut7.jpg

Now you can play with the blending mode and opacity a bit to make it look a bit better:

alumtut8.jpg

Edited by Jimbib
  • Like 4

That's an excellent tutorial!

What does the final skin look like, in game?

Also, I think this should go in KB. Would you mind writing it again and putting it there? I think all the skinners would appriciate it

with thanks,

wrench

kevin stein

I use real metal texture photographs...found on web.....I have a few large jpgs...select metal texture picture that the mopdel is skinned in..ie ..aluminium..then I cut a section and paste into panels on my metal skins...if you get a decent jpeg,you also get variety in shading and light\dark areas so the cut areas are not constant in looks...I also play around with the areas,darkening ,smoothing edges etc..

see results below.

top pic...is using basic colour and gradient fill to give a curved look to wing...

2nd pic...process I described above...after filling in rivets ,panel lines etc..

3rd pic...adding details,dirt,and general wear n tear...

post-1981-12563230349613.jpg

post-1981-12563230469876.jpg

post-1981-1256323055836.jpg

Edited by russouk2004
  • Like 3

Thank you guys, ´that would help me a lot! :good:

Edited by Soulfreak

You guys are magicians !!!good.gif

Hou doe,

Derk

Jimbib that's a kind of post that belongs in the KB, sorta like a "Texture Artist/Skinner" section... beautiful post, and russouk2004, just something more for me bag o' tricks :good:

Edited by EricJ

example...this selected area is a good texture...can be used for areas on skin as in photo its taken from...I even copy rivets and panel lines to use...saves a lot of time in some skins...

post-1981-12564948368708.jpg