Sign in to follow this  
Pappy55

Which Joystick?

Which joystick are you guys useing?

I have the Saitek X-52 since its release about 5 years ago and I still hate it.

It just feels way too loose.. I can't control the aircraft well with it and loose any dogfights in combat sims

Anyone recomend a good joystick?

Twist function is not needed since I use my CH Peadles for rudder. I MSFS I use all my ch gear (yoke,quadrent and peadles)

I need somthing thats has a good feel and fairly tight. (in before thats what she said)

Hi Pappy,

Like a lot of users, I swear by my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick.

The Force Feedback really tells you when you're about to enter a stall, so you can fly to the limits a lot easier - plus it doesn't feel loose at all.

The bad news is they stopped making them a few years ago and they still fetch high prices on Ebay.

Good luck in your search!

Hi Pappy,

Like a lot of users, I swear by my Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 joystick.

The Force Feedback really tells you when you're about to enter a stall, so you can fly to the limits a lot easier - plus it doesn't feel loose at all.

The bad news is they stopped making them a few years ago and they still fetch high prices on Ebay.

Good luck in your search!

I know I sold one years ago :(

i might take my X-52 apart and get a strong spring put in there

I got a Saitek Yoke and Throttle quadrant and I live it! I use the pedals of a Logitech Drive Force, although not the best option, the whole works rather good.

itifonhom

Currently using a Saitek Cyborg 3D Gold, after I found my Cyborg Force 3D doesn't work properly under W7.

Dosent it feel weird flying a ww1 bi plane with a yoke?

Pappy, if you want a very exact stick with a fine steering, get the THRUSTMASTER

HOTAS Cougar stick, and pedals.

If you want a cheap solution, the THRUSTMASTER T. Flight Stick X is useful cause it

has all the buttons you want, plus yoke for rudder.

Well as much as i want to spend more money on flight simming. I will have to hold back. I may be going to spend 1 year in Japan after crimbo.

I have made a compramise and set the fligtht model to easy. I can get on ok with my x52 now.

Everything else is set realistic though and still play dead is dead.

damn papy,,you are way out there across the pond,,,lol...was hoping to snag a x52 cheap...

i have the x45,,,and i love it so much i watch ebay like a hawk for used ones going cheap......so cant belive you are having so much problem with your x52

i know there is a friction screw for the throttle,,,,but that big spring on the base of the joystick should be enough to pull it back to center when you let go...

but,,if you are goiing to deep six the x52,,,let me know how much you want for it,,,

The centering is not the issue. The stick just feels light and loose.

I guess I just need to practise more..

Hey Pappy,

no, actually flying a WWI plane with a yoke feels really ok, it's quite precise, having a lot more movement freedom than a stick and I got many buttons on it too. And the throttle is just at the right position too. After all, if you look closely, the WWI sticks looked more like a yoke. Ok, moved like a joystick, yes, but the grip is like a yoke.

I'm getting really well with it for sure, itifonhom

UC,  Your right to make a WW1 flysim more realistic you need a Force Feedback. I have a Logittech forcefeedback,  but Saitek and Thrustmaster seems also ok, here are the suppliers website, to get more additional info!! Be aware that on the Dutch website the thrustmaster does not support Vista or Win7. 

http://www.thrustmas...12&PlatformID=5   

http://www.saitek.co...od/evoforce.htm

Logitech

Sorry some are in Dutch!!  

Edited by Dutch_P47M

It also depends on what side of the globe you reside, in the America's, Thrustmaster Does NOT market a FFB. In Australia, China offer a cheap immiation Sidewinder II for about $25, but buy a 1/2 Dozen at a time, as if you get 6 months out of one, you got a good one Salute.gif

Mmmm this seems to be the US site, Thustmaster there is also for Pappy an English site, but still no Vista or Win7 so Thrustmaster seems to a bad choice for the future.  I know there is another brand who is making FFB joysticks, the only point was, they were very expensive.   

Edited by Dutch_P47M

The problem is, if this is an issue between FFB, CFS3 and W7, nobody's going to fix it. So it's no FFB for OFF and W7 users.

I used to use a sidewinder FFB (the first one not sidewinder 2) and it was fantastic, didnt like the build quality so much of 2... but cant get 1 with up to date plug!

If however anyone wants a budget stick I cant recomend enough the Saitek aviator, its amazing value for a low end stick. Nice strong springs, good centering, nice twist rudder, dual throttle levers (in ROF I have one set to mixture, for other sims they can be locked together for dual engines). Whole thing is made in nice retro style with paddle switches etc.

If you have the money though get a good FFB but if on a budget this one is great at around 15/20 pounds.

“Especially with WWI Birds, many times after take-off, you can attempt to gain altitude too quickly and stall. It's very easy, to change, just level out and build some speed, when you feel the 'Death Rattle'. Without Force Feedback, just stall and die.”

This is too true. One of the very few things I miss in OFF is aural stall warning. In IL2, for example, stall is distinctly queued by the sound of buffeting. I don't know that this is realistic but it makes flying at the envelope much more manageable when one's without force-feedback.

I wonder if it's possible to manually introduce such a sound file to OFF? Didn't CFS III feature this originally?

Cheers,

Greg

Pappy,

There is a simple fix for the X52's looseness. Take the top of a DVD stack canister, cut the center out of it, cut around the circle, do a slit to the center then put it between the spring and the handle, than walla it isn't loose anymore.

That was suggested by somebody somewhere, I use basicialy the same method with the top of a 35mil film canister, which you can get anywhere that still develops film (Walmart, photomat, grocery store, etc) just cut the center out, slit to the center and put it in that spot. It is cheap and easy.

Beard

Guest British_eh

Obviously each to his own. While I enjoyed the FFB, on long flights it became a bit cumbersome, and if you have a tendency towards tendonitis, then you are doomed. Thus, the Saitek X52 came to the rescue. I had to apply some wax to it the other day as it was squeaking a bit, but seems to be back working fine. I just figured out how to disable the twisting motion on the Joystick, so that has made it even better. I like the idea about putting in a spacer to squeeze the spring a bit,brilliant!

Cheers,

British_eh

I thought I would post my setups for the joystick and quadrant. For me this is enough hardware to support the WW1 flight sims very well and is sim authentic. I also use chpro pedals and track IR. Strongly recommend the quadrant still very available. I'm using the Cyborg Evo Force....certainly not available in the big box electronic stores. I keep wandering thru Fry's hoping to see the replacement similar force feedback joystick and doesn't seem to be there. Is FFB not that popular anymore? What I like about the Saetek product is the stick is reversable for leftys like me.

OFF.jpg

ROF.jpg

BOBII.jpg

good advice....I actually had switched the exterior to the float view, feels a little more dynamic. Combining the recenter and cockpit view is a great idea.

is it something about cfs that it only recognizes the hat channel as a single button? my first attempt was to try to do up and down as in and out on the hat channel but seems like cfs only recognizes pov01 no matter which direction i push

You can buy an adapter from Gameport to USB . . However they all say: NG for FFB

--- Just an addition to the "you can buy an adaptor from Gameport to USB" post from Uncleal.

I bought an adaptor from Maplins but as Uncleal said above, it doesn't work for Force Feedback.

I tried it unsucessfully with a Microsoft Sidewinder 1 (The original gameport based Force Feedback Joystick) and the original Microsoft (Gameport based) steering wheel.

To be fair to the manufacturer of the adaptor - The box does state it won't work for force feedback but I thought (as the adaptor was only £7) it was worth a go anyway.

Just as a comment - The feedback effects on the Microsoft Sidewinder 2 (ie: The USB one) are better than the Microsoft Sidewinder 1 (The gameport one) but I prefer the stick design of the original.

However I did manage to snap a Sidewinder 1 during some mad jinks in Flying Corp Gold... :(

Saying that....Both are brilliant sticks and I'm glad I bought three (1xFF1 and 2xFF2) of them when they were still in the shops. I've been using the same FF2 for about seven years and it's still as good as new. (The second one is my spare...just in case)

Well I my luck never goes away..

This morning at about 11:40am my x52 died

I now have no Joystick..

I also have no money to replace her since I am getting my Japanese visa in a few months..

Stuff like this always happens to me..

Unless I can find a budget stick that is any good I am afraid my combat sim days are over for a year at least.

Well I my luck never goes away..

This morning at about 11:40am my x52 died

I now have no Joystick..

I also have no money to replace her since I am getting my Japanese visa in a few months..

Stuff like this always happens to me..

Unless I can find a budget stick that is any good I am afraid my combat sim days are over for a year at least.

Pappy, check your messages. :)

I just tried to setup my MS FFB2 stick and found the FFB to be WAY too strong to be useable and I could not adjust or diminish the effect. I went back to my Logitech Wingman Force 3D. I decided, for now, against my X45 for OFF as I find the FFB to be an aid and an immersion heightener. Nothing wrong with the X45 but it is better suited to my other flightsims IMO. The Logitech stick works very well and if it does break I am good to go with a backup. Shopping the thrift stores gives me all these options.

Pappy: As you're bound to discover shortly ( if not already) The vision provided by the Hat Switch in OFF, just plain SUCKS Big Time

This is the CHEAP alternative

Its not my track IR thats broken ikts my joystick..