Sign in to follow this  
HotNess

Nimrod rant

I know the whole nimrod investigation over here in uk has to take place,and so it should as people died..but theres a witch hunt going on,and yet again its the little man who is going to be blamed,im a good friend of the head of the nimrod team at Bae,infact my kids going to his halloween party as he himself has taken time off due to the stress and pressure put on him to give names of peopel who could take the blame,and the investigation team has all ready picked out 3 guys from his dept to name and blame themselves,yet strangly enough the top brass of the Mod were interviwed and statements taken regarding there part,but the actual decision makers of Bae have been completely ignored and not interviewed at all,not even a statement taken from them,the whole investigation has gone to my friends dept bypassing important people,these are the guys who..yes do alot of work regarding the aircraft,they put there ideas n fears through,but in the end they are told whats what and dont get a choice,if Bae and Mod wanted an aircraft with only one wing and a rubber band for power,the little man may say its wrong n wont fly,but he is told to build it,if he doesnt someone else will do his job in his place...it bloody anoys me that the guy who bolts on the wings n tighten the nuts etc are the ones who are going to suffer,yet the big decision makers of both MoD and Bae and the ones who said yes its safe to fly dont even get a slapped wrist x

xx v xx

I must have missed something somewhere. What happened to the Nimrod?

It exploded over Afghanistan in 2006 during air to air refuelling because of a fuel leak. The finding from the enquiry was reported this week.

The main point of the report, was the failure of the military covenant (Britain's duty of care to its armed forces). Some news organisations & families of those lost, are asking if legal proceedings should be taken against those concerned. The Top Brass in the MoD and the then Minister of Defence, knew there was a safety issue with Nimrod air to air refuelling, but were too tight to fix it.

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/8329117.stm

http://www.channel4....+blamed/3402302

The small men highlighted the issue to their superiors, who in turn did nothing because it would cost money.

Neither the MoD nor BAE would appear on the news to explain this week, why they allowed air to air refuelling to continue, but instead blamed the small man (3 at BAE and 2 at QinetiQ).

The Top Brass & Government have done this before whereby they ignored warnings about safety. A Hercules was lost in Iraq 2005 when hit by enemy fire and a fuel tank exploded.

http://news.bbc.co.u.../uk/7683909.stm

A quote from that inquiry "the failure to fit Hercules planes with explosion suppressant foam was a factor". (I believe that the USAF had these suppressants fitted in Hercs on active service for that reason).

I agree with Racindriver, the Top Brass & Government do nothing because it will cost money, then blame someone else when it all goes wrong.

thanks for the info. Does sound like a nasty mess.

I agree with the lady at the top of the rant... there are many issues with the way our non military minded government like to think of amusing ways to save money and give jobs to the old boys club without looking at what is best for the military to do their job...

SA-80 anyone or L85 same rifle still a feck up... amongst other things...

Going to stop now before I really start and I dont want to take over the thread...

SA-80/L-85 theres a good one... About 7 years back I had a barrel melt on me on the range after two clips. Really "great" pice of kit the A-1 was.

As for accidents involving the Nimrod, didnt something very simillar happen in the 90's off the Morray Firth, port engine bay caught fire and the pilot ditched it before he lost the wing.

Craig

SA-80/L-85 theres a good one... About 7 years back I had a barrel melt on me on the range after two clips. Really "great" pice of kit the A-1 was.

As for accidents involving the Nimrod, didnt something very simillar happen in the 90's off the Morray Firth, port engine bay caught fire and the pilot ditched it before he lost the wing.

Craig

To the Nimrod yes your right was one of the Intel jets from 51 Squadron...

http://aviation-safety.net/database/record.php?id=19950516-0

Above is the crash report for the Moray one...

And as to the SA-80 I got lucky and very rarely used one... my weapon of choice chambered a .308 Lapua round :blink: