Sign in to follow this  
Herr Prop-Wasche

Who wants white Allied flak?

Fellow OFFers.

Awhile back, someone mentioned they wished Allied flak was white, as it was historically. Well, now you have your wish! I have been able to successfully create white Allied flak with just a couple of tweaks to the effects.xml file, which is located in your main OBD Software/CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder. Note that this mod has NO effect on German flak, so it will remain as black and scary as ever.

Here are a couple of screen shots. I apologize for the quality, as I am not much into artistic composition, but I think it effectively illustrates the effect. BTW, my mod does not decrease the lethality of the flak at all. If you look closely in the pictures you can see that my aeroplane has a dead prop, courtesy of Mr. Flak:

To get the new flak, simply right click on the following file, save it, and copy it into your OBD Software/CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields folder. Be sure to rename the original effects.xml file first.

Finally, I should tell you that a very highly (P)laced (O)fficial source, (L)ol, has informed me that white Allied smoke will also be included in the upcoming OBD plane pack. So, if you would rather wait and get the "official" version, that is fine by me. But, the plane pack will be ready "when it's ready." My little mod is available now! Enjoy!

It was me asking about it. This is fantastic! Another element of realism to an already immersive game!

Gonna be a bugger to see that against clouds. :grin:

Actually, it shows up fairly well, even against clouds. Each "puff" starts out relatively bright (some even with a brief yellow flash), then gradually fades to a dusty gray-white color.

Brilliant piece of Work Prop...thats a really nice touch..thank you!

Thanks Mr. Prop-Wash,

at least you were lucky enough to still fly, as soon as german FlaK hits my BE2c, i will always go down vertically, with still spinning prop - but this does not help. I'd prefer a dead stick and be able emergency-land lol

Now i know why Germany is called the "dark" side, it's those smoky puffs grin.gif

But really, maybe the devs should implement this in the next version. One more point for reality ..

Greetings,

Catfish

Catfish it was already implemented in OFF in previous versions - just not super white.

Almost black for German and dark grey for Allied

The coming expansion has it already lightened more to make it more obvious difference.

In fact here's some pics

:declare:

ALLIED:

post-7478-12581300045975.jpg

GERMAN:

post-7478-1258130010865.jpg

Catfish it was already implemented in OFF in previous versions - just not super white.

Almost black for German and dark grey for Allied

The coming expansion has it already lightened more to make it more obvious difference.

In fact here's some pics

declare.gif

ALLIED:

post-7478-12581300045975.jpg

GERMAN:

post-7478-1258130010865.jpg

Nice view of the French countryside

Thanks, WM and Catfish!

Yes, getting the color right is the trickiest part. What you see when looking at the palette versus what you get in the game can be quite different. Although the color palette appears to be light gray, the flak tends to be much lighter inside the game. I have a feeling this may have something to do with alpha channels, but I am just a duffer when it comes to the artwork part. I'll probably experiment some more, at least until OBD comes out with the "official" version.

Guest British_eh

Great work Herr PW!

Cheers,

British_eh

Thank you everyone for the kind words. I am planning a small update to make the Allied flak somewhat more "dirty," but not by much. I'm still tinkering but should have something within a few days.

Also, would anyone be interested in a slightly brighter sun to hide the infamous "Hun in the sun" on bright, relatively cloudless days? On clear days, I think the stock sun is a bit wimpy. This would not effect the sun on cloudy or rainy days.

yikes!......spoiled for choice......thanks fellas!

Great stuff, HPW. I tried it out tonight, got back into my DiD campaign after a forced absence of a few days and was landed my first Scramble. It was snowing heavily and I couldn't find the bombers at first and then couldn't reach them when I did spot them. I was circling slowly back to the aerodrome expecting to land without any result when I noticed white archie off to my forward starboard, even despite the snow. I hurried on over and there was a Halb DII, blinded by the weather, which I duly shot down for my first Krauts vs. Crumpets campaign victory.

Real good to get on the scoreboard and even better to do it in such an immersive way. Thank you very much indeed :grin::salute:

Nice view of the French countryside

I've been there recently... it's much nicer when it's not full of shellholes :grin:

Edited by Dej