Recently I have been messing around trying to make an accurate QF-100D. I have the default F-100D, and QF-100D skins from column5. I changed the data files, so there is no armament, no pilot, and so on. I can't figure out how to get rid of the refueling probe. The real ones didn't have one. I went into the drone picture/texture (don't know what its called)set and erased it from there. In the game, the probe is still there, but now its white. I couldn't find anything in the data.ini that shows the probe. Saving any advanced modifications, is there a way to do this? Had the same problem with the gun ports. Any help would be appreciated.

There's some MAJOR differences in between the A and D models, as stated in Dave's readme for the ROCAF Rehab

Version. The FM edits alone will make it unusable for the D model drones.

--------

The reason the probe is now white, is you've removed the 'paint' by fiddling with the skin map. The right and proper way to remove it is use the "remove components trick' via data ini edits.

What you need to know is the node or mesh name of the probe. One needs to extract the F-100D.LOD from the Objects.cat (Classic series games) or from which ever it's in in the NextGenners, and have a hex editor, and know how to use it. In this case, only to find the mesh name. Then, you take the hex editor, open the LOD and search for... "probe".

This will turn up the name "refuel_probe" (without the quotes, of course).

Then, you extract the data ini, if you haven't already --one can assume you're building the specalized QF-100 drone, and have already edited the various and sundry inis to create the stand alone type- ...

Open the data ini, and in the ]AircraftData[ section, where the major Components are listed, add this, where *** is the next number in sequence

Component[***]=Remove1

Component[***]=Remove2

Then, below that, add this statement, that'll REMOVE the probe from sight

[Remove1]

ParentComponentName=fuselage

ModelNodeName=refuel_probe

DestroyedNodeName=refuel_probe

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

HasAeroCoefficients=FALSE

[Remove2]

ModelNodeName=refuel_base

DestroyedNodeName=refuel_base

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

save and close the QF-100D_DATA.INI

Note: if you only want to remove the MAIN probe, just use the first statement. The 2nd statement will remove the mounting base that's under the wing.

you're probe will now be gone. I've done this LOTS of time, and it works like a charm.

Post a screenie when you're done, so all can see!

Just wish I could remember WHO found this trick in the first place...Fubar? FastCargo? AD??? :dntknw:

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench
oppsy-forgot there's 2 parts to the refuling thingy

Crusader discovered the trick.

Yeah the REHAB F-100A wouldnt work as a QF-100D, although they might of looked alike (they used D parts to the REHAB version) they flew very differently.

BPAo.

Declaring mesh parts as damage model to hide them was used first in his F-100D_FR mod.

Excellent...!!!

Then, with every such edit we perform, we can honor him. One of the very coolest tricks in the Modders Kitbag!

Olivier, we thank you!

wrench

kevin stein

It actually worked, No more probe! You guys rock! I'm bad with computers, and don't know how to do all that was suggested, so I improvised. I based these modifications on how they are in the ROCAF F-100. If I'm not mistaken, that model is based on the standard model of the D. I'd post a screenie, but I don't know how to. When I figure it out, I will. By the way, the gun fairings still show, is this a similar fix?

[AircraftData]

EmptyMass=9361.4

EmptyInertia=78490.6,17267.8,115760.9

ReferenceArea=37.16

ReferenceSpan=11.81

ReferenceChord=4.14

CGPosition=0.00,0.12,0.00

Component[001]=Fuselage

Component[002]=Nose

Component[003]=LeftWing

Component[004]=RightWing

Component[005]=LeftStab

Component[006]=RightStab

Component[007]=VertTail

Component[008]=LeftOuterWing

Component[009]=RightOuterWing

Component[010]=Remove1 <========New Line Added

Component[011]=Remove2 <========New Line Added

[Probe]

ParentComponentName=wing_right_inner

ModelNodeName=probe_ok

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

[Remove1]

ModelNodeName=refuel_probe

DestroyedNodeName=refuel_probe

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

[Remove2]

ModelNodeName=refuel_base

DetachWhenDestroyed=TRUE

Edited by Delta6Actual

Delete the "probe" section ... just use the data EXACTLY as I've supplied it. (as in copy/paste it from the post above)

Looking into the LOD, there is only a listing for "gun_holes_right" and "gun_holes_left", so it might not be possible to remove the blisters. As seen below, the recessed area for the muzzles seem to be cast into the nose, and probably can't be filled in with Bondo.

--

To post a picture, look at the bottom left of the screen, when typing a new post or when replying ... you'll see the "Attach This File" blue button, along with an empty window and the Browse and Clear Selection.

Browse will open a popup for your computer, navigate to the folder where the screenie is (making SURE it's been converted to a jpg) and attach. Or upload to our Gallery, right click to find the URL, and copy it. On the post/post reply screen, you'll see the little buttons at the top, you can use the Picture to create the place to paste the screenies URL into, is hosted in our Gallery or on a personal site.

wrench

kevin stein

Bpao again!!! :salute: I've been wondering lately who came up with this trick, I couldn't remember but I knew at one time. Thanks fellas/fellattes.

One example I use. I bpao'd the Thudwire B-52 "drop" tanks which are not droppable, nor even unselectable. I can now replace them with suitable large functioning drop tanks. Don't know where I'd find a B-52~esque tank for this though. Maybe use the PASKO B-58 pod.

Nice threat! Wondering If is possible to associate "enemy" planes into a terrain, so for example when you fly over the "Range" terrain, you can encounter and shoot down only QF100 and that unmanned drone.

Possible?

Nope.

No enemy airfield for them to spawn from

wrench

kevin stein

What if you changed it so the NationName=SOVIET. This is how the Firebee is set up. I suppose you would have to mess around a lot with the range is set up too. :dntknw:

See above, particulary the 2nd line.

For enemy aircraft to appear, they have to have someplace to come from. The Ranges (both Red and Blue), ain't got no enemy airfields

Of course, there's always my "Empty Desert" terrain ... it has one airfield ONLY for each side.

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

Have you fellas done a red/blue dissmimilar training type thing? Two sides competing from different bases. A new install setup just for this. Guns could be given invisible tracers, damage modelling might be tailored to just disable AI combat flying, and coloured smoke emitted by damaged/destroyed parts to simulate feedback from the ground, instead of the usual burning smoke type thing. Didn't they do whole campaigns like this for training? That would be ALOT of work molding the game into something as completely different as this. **haha** try molding the game to SAC~vs~PVO you could spend YEARS doing this.