Sign in to follow this  
RichardG

Vietnam A4-E Missing Tail (with Viet Gold Mod)

I don't know if this is a stock Vietnam problem, or a problem with the Vietnam Gold mod. Anyone else seen this?

img00001x.jpg

It almost looks like the "too many decals on one mesh problem"

Look at the decals ini for that skin, and see if (I'm guessing tailfin or tail) has too many callouts for decals on it.

is it a stock skin or aftermarket?

wrench

kevin stein

I don't know if its stock or not, thats why I asked.

Clean Vietnam2 install with December patch, then Vietnam Air Ground war Mod (Gold). Does that mod do anything to the A4?

I looked at the skin ini, but I really don't know what I'm looking at.

Go into the Decal.INI and remove the Entry "Navy" Temporarly to see if the Skin comes back. If it does, Then the A4SqTail.tga would have to be re-done with "NAVY" on it........

This is just guessing not seeing the Mods entries first-hand.......

331KillerBee

I just noticed it on the A7 too (Navy bird isnt it?), looky here...

img00002e.jpg

Richard:

I assume this is the SF2V Expansion Pack on an SF2V install. Is this a merged install? If so, what other SF2 games do you have installed (SF2, SF2E, SF2I)? Also, what patch level are you at? Did you install the just-released Dec 2009 patch?

FWIW, we didn't make any changes to the the A-4 or A-7 decals in the Dec 3rd Tiles Update package. Before that we had no reports of any issues with those aircraft -- and that's with hundreds of downloads and installs. So, I'm trying to figure out what's new and unique or different with this particular install.

Eric L. Howes

Howdy Eburger,

Not merged. This is Vietnam2 stand-alone install, with December 2009 patch, then the 4 SF2V expansion pack files dropped into the mod folder. I also have Israel2 standalone install with its own seperate mod folder.

I haven't installed the tiles update package. That shouldnt have anything to do with this, since it is all ground textures isnt it?

Richard:

Right, the Dec 3rd Tiles Update shouldn't have caused anything like you're seeing.

So, you're on the Dec 2009 patch, which I simply haven't had the opportunity to test. What DirectX version and Windows version are you on? Are you using the new advanced shaders for DX10?

Eric Howes

I'm on Vista 32, with dx11. Advanced shaders are on when ingame graphic settings are high and unlimited, those are the settings I'm useing., and I havent done anything with the ini config file.

I may do a seperate stock Vietnam2 install tommorow and see if the problem appears there, and/or with the december patch.

Thanks for entertaining my inquiry.

Its definitely something with the mod.

I disabled the mod folder, let the game create a new mod folder, and ran stock game with patch. The A-4C, A-4E, and A-4F are all ok. Also looked at the A-7, no problem there either.

With the mod active, A-4E and A-4F missing tails, but all versions of A-4C are ok.

I tried changing squadron and airforce markings in the loadout screen, that didn't help any. I'll look at more planes later.

Richard:

I just applied the Dec 2009 patch myself. I'm not seeing anything like you're seeing. I'm on WinXP SP3 with DX9, though.

Eric Howes

Richard:

Attached is a ZIP file with revised DECAL.INIs for the A-4E_67 and the A-7B_71. Unpack the ZIP, and drop the two resulting folders in the \Objects\Aircraft dir of your SF2V Mod Folder, overwriting as prompted. Then try flying the A-4E_67 and the A-7B_71. See any difference?

Eric Howes

Roger dodger. I must be the only one seeing it.

A-6A Intruder is tailess too, but A-6B is ok.

It's more than likely a decal issue, as Wrench said. The A-7 is displaying its "damage DDS file"...interesting.

Hey, that fixed it Eric. You da man.

I think I see what you did. Did you just drop two of the decals from the vert tail section? Too many decals cause the problem?

Too many decals cause the problem?

Wrench was right.....AMAZING!!!!!! Ya think that the fact that he's only been doing this for, oh, about 7 years, had anything to do with this? :rofl:

:grin:

what's even more fun, is inducing it on PURPOSE, just for s**ts and grins....drives End User's nuts trying to figure it out (see below)

wrench

kevin stein

Yup, done that too!!

Unfortunatly, I can't remember HOW I did it...it was something with the aircraft LOD itself on an A-4. Might have been in-between patch 3 or 4 ...???? Something changed in the lod, irrc. You still got the pilot/seat figures, and the drop tanks, other ordanance, but no physical aircraft

Hmmm...makes this one wonder if you couldn't substitute FastCargo's FakePilot for an aircraft Lod.....hhmmmmm

wrench

kevin stein

Richard:

Here's a complete set of revised DECALS.INIs for all aircraft that could experience problems like you encountered:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/sf2v/New_Decals.rar

If (after applying this new set of files) you still see the problem on any aircraft, let me know. Tell me which aircraft and which texture set you were using.

I am planning to release an updated set of core SF2V Expansion Pack files sometime before the end of the year. Those updated files will incorporate everything included in the Tiles Update plus this new set of files.

Eric Howes

Eric, can you go into detail, what your fix is? Did you delete some of those (too many) decals or did you (kind of) summarize them?

So, will the new ones look like the ones before? (Great if yes good.gif )

Thanks

Oliver

Stingray77:

I have an updated set of fixed decals that I will be posting. The aircraft will look generally as before. As for what I changed, I'll let you figure that out.

Eric Howes

Richard:

Here's a complete set of revised DECALS.INIs for all aircraft that could experience problems like you encountered:

https://netfiles.uiuc.edu/ehowes/www/sf2v/New_Decals.rar

If (after applying this new set of files) you still see the problem on any aircraft, let me know. Tell me which aircraft and which texture set you were using.

I am planning to release an updated set of core SF2V Expansion Pack files sometime before the end of the year. Those updated files will incorporate everything included in the Tiles Update plus this new set of files.

Eric Howes

Thanks for these, but it wont let me download. Is their a problem with the download?

Dogzero1

Dogzero1:

The download works just fine. I just checked it.

Eric Howes