Sign in to follow this  
hoongadoonga

HitR update 1.46 - fuel

Great responses.

I'm glad we have OBD doing such an outstanding job to create such a fun and immersive sim, for the genre that we all enjoy and are interested in.

Such attention to detail, and such an incredibly complex total conversion, makes me wonder why OBD hasnt been picked up to produce this product on a more current engine....or perhaps they have :)

They may have, BuB - the few hints I read about P4 made me wonder!

It's been my suspicion. So much talent and inspiration. I'm not asking, I'm just saying, if a publisher or dev/house made an offer I would not be suprised. Pure uninformed conjecture. Please forgive.

If it was a fair world undoubtedly OBD would be rewarded.

But it's not always the best or the better who won.

You may have got that wrong.

I only noticed, that they have made hints recently, that we are in for a good surprise with P4.

That could, but must not, mean a new engine. Or they got much more out of this one.

Who knows...

Guest British_eh

Hi there:

I can't remember exactly from the dozen or so German reference books, but it was very clear that the Germans loaded fuel with the idea of a quick patrol, engagement, and return, +/_ X %. One of the biggest controversy of course was did Voss run out of fuel in his duel, and thus become a sitting German duck? Because the Germans stayed on their side, and had the wind in their favour, the Scouts virtually never took on a full load of fuel.

I will look for the references, but there are a number. The British weren't so lucky of course, and had greater fuel loads, to their detriment.

Cheers,

British_eh

In which case maybe I should redo all the German FMs with 50% fuel instead of 100% if that's what was used, and so reduce climb rate tests etc to match 50% instead. So performance would reduce to the stats known typically.. then you'd want to fly with 25% ? ;-)

I prefer full fuel load, it means I get longer to enjoy the scenery as long as no nasty spoilsports come along.:grin:

Pol, I don't know HOW you had done it before, but it was a noticable difference between 25 %,

50 % or 100 % fuel filling.

I used them very variable - on patrol behind our own lines, I filled in the necessary amount plus

50 % (so for a flight with necessary minimum of 30 % fill I used 45 % fill).

For flights crossing the line I filled in 200 % of the necessary minimum (so if 40 % would have been

the necessary minimum, I filled in 80 %).

The noticable difference allowed me to fight such agile craft as the Pup or the Triplane - with a 100%

filling almost useless to try in an Albatros. But that's the way I would have done or tried in RL too.

Guest British_eh

Hi there BuB " "Sorry that you dont like it, but just because a pilot *could* have done something, doesnt mean they did.

It CERTAINLY was not the norm."

Please let me know your source of information. While I only have perhaps 18 -20 WWI books, and not everything you read is gospel, I can report to you that fuel was added as per the Mission. This was the norm. In fact, many of the Jasta's at the Front, and most notable the German Ace Voss, could have contributed to his demise, by not having enough fuel on board, when he engaged 56 Squadron in his swan song. When the Dr.1 went up, it was for hunting, and they did not carry a full load of fuel. It would negatively affect the performance characteristics of the aircraft, as they wanted all advantages they could get. This even consisted of not taking a full ammo load!

Fuel parameters for the British, were understandably much different.

Cheers,

British_eh

Makes sense to me, British_eh, thanks for your contribution.

I see, that I should also read more books about the whole field.

I have just got one today - a second hand book by

K. F. Kurt Jentsch: "Beim Jagdflug tödlich verunglückt"

He was in FA 66, FA 234, Jasta 1, 2, 5, 61 and had 7 victories.