Sign in to follow this  
MadJeff

Brothers In Arms Announced

Brothers in Arms is a new WWII FPS being developed by Gearbox Software, makers of Halo. Some pretty impressive stuff!

The Brothers in Arms Website:

http://www.brothersinarmsgame.com/

A short Preview article at UGO:

http://www.ugo.com/channels/games/features/brothersinarms/

Screenshots:

field_lg.jpg

sight_lg.jpg

assault_lg.jpg

The Press Release:

UBISOFT AND GEARBOX BREAK INTO WWII GAMES MARKET WITH BROTHERS IN ARMS, A REVOLUTIONARY NEW MILITARY FRANCHISE

San Francisco, CA – April 13, 2004 – Ubisoft, one of the world’s largest video game publishers, today reinforces its strategy to dominate the war games market by announcing a long-term deal with award-winning developer Gearbox Software to publish a new military franchise: Brothers in Arms™. With its breakthrough squad-based combat mechanism and unprecedented realism, the first game in the series is poised to revolutionize the WWII genre when it ships on consoles and PC starting Holiday 2004.

“The WWII theme is one of the fastest growing segments of the military shooter market and we believe that Brothers in Arms is the ideal title to expand Ubisoft’s new catalog of war games,” said Yves Guillemot, CEO and President of Ubisoft. “We were blown away by the immersive and realistic combat we experienced when playing this game and anybody who knows the reputation of Gearbox Software will understand the magnitude of this deal.”

Created by Texas-based Gearbox Software, Brothers in Arms is the most realistic and authentic WWII shooter ever. While other WWII games have sugarcoated the war experience, Brothers in Arms is based on a true story and will immerse gamers into the gritty, uncensored and emotionally-charged side of war. The game puts you in the shoes of Sgt. Matt Baker, a D-Day paratrooper squad leader, and asks you to lead the squad as you balance their lives with the success of the mission. The true stories and historical events you experience on your perilous journey take you through real battlefields meticulously recreated from aerial reconnaissance images, US Army Signal Corps photos and eye-witness accounts of war-torn Normandy. Players of all skill levels can battle their way through this intense experience because of Brothers in Arms innovative and accessible command and control system.

“Ubisoft’s proven know-how publishing realistic, tactical shooters make an ideal partnership with Gearbox as we create this new franchise,” said Randy Pitchford, President of Gearbox Software. “With years of research and game design innovation supporting this title, gamers should be ready for an authentic story, a fresh game play design and the ultimate WWII combat experience.”

© 2004 Ubisoft Entertainment. All Rights Reserved. Ubisoft and the Ubisoft logo are trademarks of Ubisoft Entertainment in the US and/or other countries. Gearbox Software and the Gearbox logo are registered trademarks of Gearbox Software, L.L.C.

About Gearbox Software: Gearbox Software, an independent development studio located in Dallas, TX, is respected industry-wide for their ability to create award winning interactive software. Comprised of veteran talent, Gearbox Software has established itself as an industry leader, developing games for many of the industry’s top franchises including Half-Life, Halo: Combat Evolved, Counter-Strike, James Bond and Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater. Additional information regarding Gearbox Software can be found at www.gearboxsoftware.com.

About Ubisoft: Ubisoft is an international producer, publisher and distributor of interactive entertainment products. A leading company in the multimedia industry, Ubisoft’s strong and diversified lineup has grown considerably, as has Ubisoft itself. As well as steadfastly continuing to partner with several high-profile companies, Ubisoft has also confirmed its presence on the global market by developing its own exceptional properties. Founded in 1986 in France, Ubisoft is now present on every continent, both through offices in 21 different countries including the United States, Morocco, Germany and China and through sales of products in over 50 countries. The group is dedicated to delivering high-quality, cutting-edge video game titles to consumers around the world. Ubisoft generated a turnover of 453 million euros for the 2002/2003 fiscal year, up 23% over the previous fiscal year. To learn more, visit www.ubi.com

Those screenshots are amazing! :blink: It's like watching a movie or something.

I'd be so busy looking around and soaking up all the details that'd I'd be shot and killed many times over.

reminds me of CoD :)

looks gooood

This is an incredible inspiration graphically, but will it's Multiplayer aspects ring thru? One of the main reasons I'm not a huge BF:1942 fan was the fact that I never really cared for it's MP. The same rings true for Call of Duty. The SP side is absolutely incredible, but the MP side is much like Bf:1942...a bunny hoppin, no coordination deathmatch.

I'm truely looking for a WW2 game that has an incredible story to tell, like COD or Brother in Arms, but I don't want that sense of fellowship to end after the SP game is over. I want to take that emotion and have it pounded into my head in the Multiplayer side. If this game can do that, I think they will gain an enormous amount of respect from non-sim fans as well.

Cheer!

Fates

I'd like to see a WWII FPS that doesnt have all those med packs, kinda give it a Ghost Recon feel.

CoD's MP sucks, I cant say much more for BF1942 or MOHAA. The Tom Clancy games are still the best MP FPS' in my opinion. Havent picked up Far Cry yet though, dont think it'll run without an upgrade anyway.

Oh and, this game does look very very good.

I'd like to see a WWII FPS that doesnt have all those med packs, kinda give it a Ghost Recon feel.

That's kinda been something that has bugged me a lot. I can't wait for a game that has damage modeling, like, if you get shot in the leg, you have to hobble around, instead of just having a bar that moves down and when its gone your dead. Anyone else feel this way?

As for BiA, wow, that's a perty looking game. I hope it lives up to those shots.

Raptor

like, if you get shot in the leg, you have to hobble around, instead of just having a bar that moves down

America's Army does this to some extent....and with Version 2.1 to be released soon, and the introduction of RAGDOLL physics, It's only gonna get better.

<C>

Fates

Exactly my plan. Now that more info is starting to churn out, I'll get one created, as well as one for the just-announced Battlefield 2.

How's that for service! ;)

Check out www.gametrailers.com for a new demo movie for this. Truly amazing. The guy playing is clueless about tactics, but the graphics and AI look really good.