Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT USB Hassle

Hi Guys,

Wonder if someone can help with this?

Everytime I start my pc...I have to unplug and reinsert my Joystick and TrackIR...or they dont work.

Once I do, everything is fine...but its a real pain!

Anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome?

thanks

That's a problem from the old days of USB, having to unplug and replug to re-initialise the hardware involved. It shouldn't be happening on any new OS. :dntknw:

I had a worm on my new rig recently, someting with "win32.bason" in it's name.

Not sure if it was responsible, but sometimes my TrackIR would not react, unltil

I did like you.

But it seems, KASPERSKI Anti Virus has cleared that now.

I'd be taking a hard look at your power management settings. Disable the power-saving features. Dunno if it'll help, but in terms of those settings saving you any money (particularly where USB devices are concerned) it's all smoke and mirrors. All frequently used devices powered up all the time is a good policy.

Could also be you've just got wonky USB ports. Which specific motherboard and OS are we talking about here?

And.....as an afterthought, go into your BIOS and try enabling USB Legacy support, or at the very least, set it to "auto". I've seen situations where if it's disabled, it can cause problems.

I'd be taking a hard look at your power management settings. Disable the power-saving features.

Si - How are you?

Soonas i saw your question I was thinking along the same lines of Parky above. It sometimes happens to me. Check whether this happens if you have left the computer on a for a while without using Joystick or trackir.

e.g. Hd a flight of OFF then gone and done something else leaving the 'puter on. As I understand it, some USB port go to standby or shut down as a while unused and stay that way till re plugged in.

Try a google on USB power management.

despite all i've said, i still haven't managed to get mine to work properly at all times-lol,

so take my advice as possibly "the blind leading the blind" :grin:

One way to eliminate the problem for good is to use a USB powered hub with a regulated brick. TIR4 uses 237ma, it's a hog and that's almost half of the power available from one USB port.

I went that route years ago and haven't experienced any problems.

my 5 cents worth.

plug_nickle (Al)

Edited by almccoyjr

Check whether this happens if you have left the computer on a for a while without using Joystick or trackir.

rofl.gif . would never happen to me

Hi Widowmaker, these teething troubles are always a headache aren't they? Almccoyjr was the man for me, some months ago I switched to a powered USB hub and all my continual problems with the Cougar freezing, failing to be recognised etc etc disappeared immediately never to return. I think I paid about 20 quid - I can go and look at what model I'm using if you're interested - so if nothing else solves the problem you could try this without breaking the bank. I seem to recall someone also saying the USB sockets which are soldered direct to the mobo (ie back of the case) give more reliable results than any wired in the front, so that might also be worth trying.

BTW it's all still frozen, so I'm getting some stick (joy, not throwing!) hours in, and clocking up brownie points with the lady wife!!

Thanks guys..I think I may go the Powered Hub route

Thanks guys..I think I may go the Powered Hub route

Be sure you get a regulated "brick" with at least 1.5 amps for 2-port or 2.5 amps for a 4-port. That will give you 500ma per port and because of the "little" extra amperage rating, you won't have to be concerned about any excessive heat being generated. Also see if if the USB adapter has built in L.E.D.'s or lights showing power into the hub and power to the devices. It'll make troubleshooting much easier when the inevitable time comes.

plug_nickel (Al)

I'd be taking a hard look at your power management settings. Disable the power-saving features. Dunno if it'll help, but in terms of those settings saving you any money (particularly where USB devices are concerned) it's all smoke and mirrors. All frequently used devices powered up all the time is a good policy.

Could also be you've just got wonky USB ports. Which specific motherboard and OS are we talking about here?

Look what I found when searching USB testing for W7:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd450454.aspx

I didn't now anything like this existed. I need to do more "surfing".

plug_nickel (Al)