Sign in to follow this  
Fates

Negative G

Ahhahahahahahaha!!!!!!!! Puke central right there! Reminds me when I took a ride in a sail plane/glider for my 16th birthday. My best friend went along with me, both of us squeezed in the back seat. He puked his guts out... luckily he had a barf bag and it didn't end up like this video. I was totally fine and having a blast.

Bad move.

Airsick passenger, straps, luggage: I'd perma-ground the loser "flying" the plane.

I'll bet he didn't get any (you know what) for quite a while.

I always carried barf bag in "G" suit pocket or under pilot seat in civilian airplane.

I needed it several times. Once for me,several others for passengers.

You never forget it once you have to clean up airplane yourself(Gag,choke,puke).

I've never had a problem with postive and negative G's. Always thought they were fun to experience.

As someone who's given their share of incentive rides, a few observations.

1) With any person riding with me who isn't an aviator, I give them the full brief, show them how to use the puke bag, how to double bag it, how to keep it easily accessible, how to quickly disconnect the mask, and how to not to 'John Wayne' it. In other words, if you think you're going to puke, let me know early, go on 100%, and get your bag ready...do not try to man up, because you will look that much stupider if you puke IN your mask...because it will immediately blow back on your face, clog your outlet value (which may cause the spew to blow out the seals) and cover yourself. And, because you didn't use the bag properly, you get to clean up ALL of it...the cockpit, the seat and all the equipment.

2) If the ride is for the person (orientation, incentive, etc), I keep the profile to what the person is interested in. If they want a tour, they get a tour...if they want acro, they get acro. And with every manuver, I ask to make sure they're ready...I don't deliberately try to make people sick or aggravate the situation if they do get sick...because I have to listen to it and smell it. Usually, as soon as they get sick, I'll make like an airliner for home, unless they don't want me to (I've had a few incentives who would puke, tie off their bags, wipe themselves and immediately say 'lets do it again!'...hard core!).

3) For 'sandbag' sorties, it's a bit different. Sometimes we get 2Lt's who are awaiting a pilot training slot. The USAF doesn't have a job immediately available, and so they'll sit at a flying base for a few months doing odd jobs for the squadron. We usually will try to get them on a flying status, so that they can fly on a non-interference basis (ie a pit opens up, and there are no student or IP sorties that can be flown). Where it can be a pain is if the sortie is part of a formation, and the other aircraft is doing student training. At that point...the 'sandbagger' is kind of on his own. Basically, student training takes priority, and if that means the 'sandbagger' has to spend most of the sortie in the 'bag'...well, sucks to be him.

4) I've never understood the person who likes making folks puke...man is a 1.0G, 10 mph, 2 dimensional creature...moving in 3 dimensions at 300+ knots from -2 to 6+ Gs is bound to make him/her uncomfortable. Why do that...flying is supposed to be fun (plus, it probably won't help you get laid if you make the target of your affections violently ill)...

FC