Sign in to follow this  
andqui

AI wingmen orders

I'm flying an F100 campagin in SF2 WOV, and I have a question regarding ordering my AI wingmen around. If I hit "flight 1 ---> attack ground targets" after the initial, they engage and hit the primary ground target for the mission, except for my no 2 wingman. The only option I can give him is "attack my target," to which he replies negative. How do I choose which target I want him to attack?

thanks

• Dislike 1

First, you only have one wingman. The others are element leads and wings. YOur wingman would be "12", your second element's wing would be "14". If I understood correctly, it sounds as if your asking your wingman to attack an already destroyed target :dntknw:

Have you identified the target before telling him to attack? I noticed that is something that I have to do before sending my wingman in to unload on any target that I want him to take out.

I can't get my wingman to engage any ground targets at all. Even when It's just me and my wingman, I can't get him to attack, even If I go in first and then say attack my target. He just says negative. I'm playing with realistic settings

EDIT: @ serverandenforcer, posted at the same time, how do I tell the game which target I am attacking?

Edited by andqui

Padlocked target is the one your wingman will attack when you give him the order. (ground padlock with "E"). All the others attack what they want to, no way to direct their targeting.

It is not actually padlocked with "E" but visually selected. The same as "T" for picking up on aircraft.

The ranges are ridiculously low in the SF2 series, especially considering the stand-off ranges in more modern aircraft.

I liked the good ol' days when you could scope `em out from WAY back.

Anyway, when you get a red box around a target, then ask #2 to attack, and off he'll go...

To get your wingman to attack a certain target first YOU have to lock it up(do not attack it) then order him to "attack my target" if and when he destroys it you can order him to "return to formation" or you can lock up another target and send him in again. You can send him in to take out the primary while you zip around and do other stuff or you can have him watch your 6 while you zip around lol

Edited by Viper6

Sorry guys, I'm still having trouble with this.

As I've tried more and more complex missions, like Linebacker ones, where there are multiple targets in the same area, I have trouble getting my flight to hit the right one. When I'm about 6 nm out I hit the "attack ground targets" option for flight one. Aboult half of the time, 3 and 4 go and bomb the right target, but for the rest of the time they seem to go off and bomb some random AA gun or other nearby target that is not the primary one.

How are others ordering their flight to attack during the run in? Any suggestions?

thanks

In SF2, you can order only your wingman to attack a specific target, and that's whichever one you have visually padlocked. You have no control over what your other wingmen attack, unfortunalty. This isn't a problem in a target-poor environment (i.e. a handful of ships) or with A2A, when they are actually more effective than your wingman (they'll actually do BVR missile shots; your wingman can't do anything unless he's attacked or you get WVR because he's limited to "Attack My [WVR] Target" or "Cover Me").

When you are in an A2G target-rich environment, you can try to increase the chances of your other elements attacking your primary targets by getting really close (try 3.5nm) to what you want attacked before ordering them to attack ground targets. Wingmen AI prioritize SAMs/AAA that are attacking them, so keep that in mind. When they start wandering off, call them back to formation, then try ordering them to attack ground targets again.

There usually aren't so many primary targets that you and your wingman can't take them out by yourselves, so you have that going for you. Picking the right weapons and being an accurate bomber will take you far.

As above - only your actual wingman can attack the target you have specified by pressing E. This is becuase according to 3rdWire - so it forces the player to try and take out the target themselves.

One bit of advice given above is really good.

Get in close before ordering everyone to attack ground targets. If you can, try to use more of your squadron if you are going into a intensely defended area. The more planes, the more ordnance. Chances that the targets will be taken out are greatly improved.

Thanks for the advice.

As to the fact that "it forces the player to take out the target themselves," that really needs to be looked at. Why would I be playing this sim if I didn't want to take out targets? And nothing is more frustrating than scoring a perfect hit on an installation and not getting credit because you destroyed every building but the trigger one, while your AI flight is unable to figure out the primary target while it could easily mop up what you left behind. I don't think it an "attack priority target" command would be that hard to add.

For me if it is a easy primary i let my wingman go after it to raise his "stats" and yes the rest of my flight needs better brains but the advice given by the other pilots here is a good work around. I just look at it like this at least they are hitting something because going "up north" is not a walk in the park I also use the Range to improve my mud moving skills now I can hit the red box from 5000ft

Edited by Viper6

Thanks for the advice.

As to the fact that "it forces the player to take out the target themselves," that really needs to be looked at. Why would I be playing this sim if I didn't want to take out targets? And nothing is more frustrating than scoring a perfect hit on an installation and not getting credit because you destroyed every building but the trigger one, while your AI flight is unable to figure out the primary target while it could easily mop up what you left behind. I don't think it an "attack priority target" command would be that hard to add.

Im sure thats wonderful - but putting it on here wont help you. Maybe add it to the list of requests on the 3rdwire forum :boredom: