Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Why not have some fun some of the time?

To all newbies:

You may perhaps know, that I am taking part in the "Full DiD Campaign Krauts vs Crumpets",

where we don't use TAC and Labels, targetting cone and brackets. We don't even warp.

Real tough, difficult, hard boiled action with little hope to see next year alive.

Now you may want to be a real tough fighter pilot, and therefor fly with all those hepls

switched off. But why not learn it with a "soft curve"?

Today, I wanted to check, how a new skin would fit on the aircraft, and when I had seen it,

I thought: what the heck, why not have some simple pure fun?

I switched Labels and TAC and yellow brackets on and enjoyed a f(l)ight with my new baby.

I ran into a bunch of tough British SPAD VII, which I wouldn't even have seen without TAC.

During the fight, they were much easier to trace and re-find after some turns, cause their

Labels were red. And I could read the names of the pilots - so they were aces! Damn!

When I had all ammo used up, I tried to escape. But they wouldn't let me go, since I had

sent three of them down (where's the good old British sportsmanship?!?).

Now my TAC showed white dots approaching. I pressed "pause", marked one of them with

the target marker, and switched through the views, until I saw the marked aircraft.

It was an Albatros D V from Jasta 21! Friends!! I only had to lure my Tommies close enough,

and they would come down and shoot them up!

Well, to cut it short: they didn't. They seemed to have an important mission. So I flew to an

army camp, and their ground fire killed one of the SPADs. But the other one hit me twice,

so I performed a landing inbetween trees. It cost my wings (but not my life).

What I wanted to say here is: use the helps and assisting tools, until you are more advanced

and fit to try it without. And all the BOFs here: why not have some "good old fun" for a break?

Yep, I recommend UncleAl's "trace of crumbs", as it's called in the stickies.

Brit's without Humour Olham?...surely, there is no such thing?? :rofl:

No, not in RL, Widowmaker - I know that from 5 visits to your country.

Guest British_eh

Hi there,

Thanks Olham, and Uncleal for posting this. It is truly a toopic that is near to my objective for the project in mind of providing Settings for the Newbies, and another Standard. GOOD SHOW!

Cheers,

British_eh

well done. I had a good laugh.

m

I, too, have never liked the immersion-killing red and blue labels, but the poor quality of my monitors (the two in my head as well as the one on my computer desk) makes it too hard for me to find planes at an acceptable range. But I got to noodling around in the viewui file and came up with an alternative that I feel bridges the gap between the stock "Hey! Here I am" labels and having nothing at all. A discussion with pictures of what it looks like as well as the file itself (about two-thirds of the way down) can be found here. http://forum.combata...ality-settings/

Enjoy or ignore, up to you. I'm gonna go grab a beer.drinks.gif

I will try this. As a newbie I have attempted to live DiD from the beginning. I don't have TrackIR and only have a logitic wingman that I use the POV hat to view different positions. Makes things rather difficult and the end result has been losing pilots at the rate of 1 every 2 flight hours. (Have been trying to get a pilot worthy of posting on the K&K board, but they keep dying) So I have been looking for a reasonable mix to still get the immersion result of DiD but at the same time improve my playability. Trying a few different things and trying not to stray to far from Siggi's DiD outline.

I have a button assigned to Joystick..which, is labels, I flick on and off again real quick, when I 'suspect' enemy aircraft may be in the area... due to my eyes not being quite what they were.... doesn't ruin the immersion too much though on campaign flights

Widowmaker had a great suggestion of putting Labels on a Joystick Button, but all too soon most joysticks will run out of buttons.

One solution is too permanently get rid of all the multible keystroke commands, using in it's place a single key

The HOW TO is described at some length in, Tips & Cheats #26 over in the Knowledge Base

Great tip...heading there now :salute:

Olham old chap had a good laugh at that... Brits with no sense of humour totally unheard off...

But we do get slightly miffed when you shoot down one or two of our chaps...

Well he was man enough to say he was going to try it.

OFF and fun? Always fun but yes, use any aids to make it most enjoyable. I don't always fly DiD. If a person flies with certain aids and views it can be very dramatic and almost like watching a movie. Use the TAC, when you encounter enemies target the enemy with the TAC and then cycle the views to get a close look at the enemy. You can see how they manouver to attack you or how they seem to be disinterested. Sometimes with TAC you can see there are planes in a distant furball. If you cycle targets on the TAC you can view the action from afar and see what kind of aircraft are involved and identify the squad and pilots. Old news maybe to old-timers but maybe some new guys have not done this yet. :bye:

Olham old chap had a good laugh at that... Brits with no sense of humour totally unheard off...

But we do get slightly miffed when you shoot down one or two of our chaps...

Yeah, I thought, it might have been that then. :grin:

And really - the British could have the copyrights on humour. We Germans actually got and still get educated

by all the great British stuff we import since the early seventies.

It began with a TV sketch of Freddy Frinton, then came Monty Python and Marty Feldman; A Hitchhiker's Guide

to the Galaxy (Don't panik!) etc. etc.; and I was amazed to get all those little Fawcett books with Andy Capp.

We are still learning, but it will probably always be like a foreign language to us, while the British people just

have it in their blood, as I noticed in many a pup during some visits to England.

Indeed, Rickitycrate - when I was hunted down on my last Jasta 5 mission, and my ammo

was out, I put the bird down near a machine gun position.

Instead of leaving the sim via "escape", I remained sitting there, and switched through

the outside views and targets. That way, I could watch a Nieuport 24 and two Pups,

circling over our field, getting fired at from all angles.

Edited by Olham

With the ultimate proof that the truely British amongst us, Never Bother to look at the instruction sheet, as they THINK they know it all already.

That particular hunk of information, has been in one version or the other of Tips & Cheats since midway Phase II drinks.gif

It's the flat pack furniture instruction sheets that have turned me off, any way where is the challenge following instructions.:dntknw: