Sign in to follow this  
tranquillo

What joystick

What joystick do people recommend for OFF?

I was donated a Logitech Attack 3 when I got OFF but it looses calibration in about 2 seconds flat. Seems to be a problem with this model. I'm thinking of getting one with HAT.

By the way my main problem is I'm left-handed and it's not easy to get a stick that's comfortable. There must be someone else here that is likewise afflicted.

Some of the Saitek sticks are now designed so that they can be reconfigured to left handed... I use the Saitek Cyborg X Joystick not sure if this can be converted over to Lefty yet as I have only had it a few weeks... Last stick I used which I had for 5 years and still works great is one of these Saitek Cyborg EVO Joystick (It can be converted to Lefty as well comes with instructions) and it is very accurate for flying.

If you don't want to go down the whole full flight stick etc...

If you don't want to spend much money I recommend Thrustmaster T.16000M.

I'm quite happy with it.

And yes it can be set to play by right-handed or left-handed.

Edited by Von Paulus

Rudder pedals are mandatory for flying tail draggers. I've been happy with my CH Pro Pedals...going on six yers of hard use without a problem.

The view system in CFS3 is difficult to operate even with a hat switch. The panning speed can be adjusted, but just isn't up to snuff. Save up for a TrackIR. It will add immensely to your experience with this sim, mostly because you might stay alive long enough to enjoy it.

All you have to do is ask, and you'll get a variety of opinions here!

Rudder pedals are mandatory for flying tail draggers. I've been happy with my CH Pro Pedals...going on six yers of hard use without a problem.

The view system in CFS3 is difficult to operate even with a hat switch. The panning speed can be adjusted, but just isn't up to snuff. Save up for a TrackIR. It will add immensely to your experience with this sim, mostly because you might stay alive long enough to enjoy it.

All you have to do is ask, and you'll get a variety of opinions here!

I think padals and TrackIR are the way to go for me but I'll have to save up for them.

I'm currently looking at the Saitek evo force as a possible joystick. I agree with uncleal that sensing the stall before it happens can be crucial - I know this from my RC experiences.

There is also the Speedlink Black Widow, which is a sort of poor man's HOTAS, in that it has a seperate throttle lever and joystick with the rudder neatly incorporated in the throttle. Also has force feedback. Costs about €30-35 in Europe. Not sure if left hand version available, though.

Edited by Sky High

I hear what your saying, uncleal, but if lefty sticks are available I'd rather get one. Even if by buying a RH one I'd be getting a better stick. Better to use a bad stick with my L hand than a good one in my R hand. I've been left handed for more years than I care to think about and by the time I learnt to use my right with the same efficiency I'd be too old to play :-((

If I was unfortunate enough to be in your position then, of course there would be no other option.

Thanks all for your input.

I'm a natural left handed person too. Back when I was a kid, people would "train" left hand people to become right hand. They would do every kind of stupid things, like tying left hands to the chair, etc. In my case, at school, they would beat my left hand if I would use it. Yes like a Pavlov chicken. I've never understood why they did that. The fact is that now I'm a left hand person that do almost all things with the right. The only problem was that during my first 25 years of life I couldn't quickly distinguish left from right. There are only two things that they weren't able to change... eating and beating.

I use the joystick at right.

Sorry for the off-topic.

Just for GPs it's Pavlov's Dog not chicken, it wouldn't work with a chicken, as there just ain't enough intellect to get a responce from drinks.gif

Thanks for correcting. I don't have slightest idea why I wrote chicken... :no:

ahhh..so thats your problem....

Maybe one day I'll fly with you, and you ask me to turn left and I..... :yikes:

What joystick do people recommend for OFF?

I was donated a Logitech Attack 3 when I got OFF but it looses calibration in about 2 seconds flat. Seems to be a problem with this model. I'm thinking of getting one with HAT.

By the way my main problem is I'm left-handed and it's not easy to get a stick that's comfortable. There must be someone else here that is likewise afflicted.

Look here:

http://snomhf.exofire.net/

That's Homeboy's site; Home of the Lefty HOTAS. Check it out.

plug_nickel (Al)