Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

2010 Oscar Results.

don't forget though the fact that the money made by Avatar is seriously scewd because people paid almost double for the 3D tickets.If you change the price per ticket sold to the standard rate then Avatar comes in around 40th or so in overallIt had a revinue.It had a average at best story and groundbreaking special effects.It's not Ishtar but it certainly isn't the second comming of Gone with the wind or Casablanca.good entertainment for the younger ADD types but not a serious evenings entertainment.

Well, I loved Avatar...I thought it was entertainment, and well worth the extra to see it in 3d

Cannot stand the Arty Farty snobs who are part and parcel of these ludicrous award farces, and indeed the film industry generally

You know the type?

The Ones who sit around in Restaurants, who are determined that you should hear what they have to say

"Oh Tarquin...what did you think of La Controverse de Valladolid?..You know darling...the Jean-Daniel Verhaeghe one?"

"Oh God Rupert..I was moved to tears my Lovey..It was Pugnacious of Jean-Daniel to move to a Franciscan Motive...he is such a dream boat"

AAAAAARGH...... I just want to get up and Thrust a Toasting fork into their ********* skulls!

Uh uh. No, no...there's a difference.

See, I have no problem with popcorn movies...I enjoy them immensely. I mostly stay away from Oscar movies after the debacle that was American Beauty. The Hurt Locker seems to be a rare exception...a movie that is entertaining, while still making smart commentary on the human condition.

If Avatar had marketed itself as simply an entertainment movie, I personally wouldn't have a problem with it. And it probably would have faired the same in the Oscars (ie awards for being pretty if not deep).

The problem was that the plot was meant to make social commentary (as admitted by James Cameron himself)...but did it in a VERY clumsy and contrived away (really, the only supply of unobtainum within the reach of a race capable of interstellar travel is under one tree on one moon in one solar system?). And a plot about 'harmonizing with nature' done using probably the most advanced technology ever used for a movie? I could state other obvious weaknesses...but I digress.

And I disagree...the folks who looked at Avatar knew exactly what they were looking at...that's why it didn't win awards for anything but SFX and art.

FC

Well, I loved Avatar...I thought it was entertainment, and well worth the extra to see it in 3d

Cannot stand the Arty Farty snobs who are part and parcel of these ludicrous award farces, and indeed the film industry generally

You know the type?

The Ones who sit around in Restaurants, who are determined that you should hear what they have to say

"Oh Tarquin...what did you think of La Controverse de Valladolid?..You know darling...the Jean-Daniel Verhaeghe one?"

"Oh God Rupert..I was moved to tears my Lovey..It was Pugnacious of Jean-Daniel to move to a Franciscan Motive...he is such a dream boat"

AAAAAARGH...... I just want to get up and Thrust a Toasting fork into their ********* skulls!

Actually enjoyed that TV Movie: Sepulveda vs las Casas, and some of my favourite old actors. Would you enucleate me with an oyster fork for that?

Actually enjoyed that TV Movie: Sepulveda vs las Casas, and some of my favourite old actors. Would you enucleate me with an oyster fork for that?

That would very much depend on the level of your voice...and your choice of Restaurant :drinks:

(I was of course merely using that film as an example)...would'nt quite work if replaced by Reg Vardy's 'On the Buses'

Edited by UK_Widowmaker

You know the type?

Well, I'm a pop-corn movie fan myself and I dinn't like Avatar. Sorry but, paying double for watching "Pocahontas 3-D" is, in my opinion, too close to stealing people's money.

Edited by shotdown

ACtually, I believe the percentage of tickets sold to Avatar that were for the 3-D version was quite small compared to the 2-D ones. Besides, it's not even double the price, it's more like 50% more. So in other words, the revenue to 2 3-D tickets is the same as 3 2-D tickets. So I think the total % for the 3-D version was less than 25% of the total, but even if it was 25% that means changing the prices back to the 2-D one would only drop the total something like $80 million (on a rounded total of $1bn for the film).

As a 2d movie, I would have said it was average...it was the 3d that did it for me!

As a 2d movie, I would have said it was average...it was the 3d that did it for me!

I don't agree about the 2d version.......it was still an exceptionally entertaining film in 2d, a long ways above average ......allthough the 3d version did hit it out of the park cool.gif

It is strange the way our human nature wants us to down play this movie because it has become so popular and successful........it is a bit disconcerting to think that "I" am just like all the other sheep that liked this movie, and it's easy to have this knee-jerk reaction saying "yah, it wasnt THAT good"..... this kind of thinking helps to set us apart from the masses(in our own mind)

Even if this type of movie(sci-fi) isnt your thing..........this is still a great movie

It is strange the way our human nature wants us to down play this movie because it has become so popular and successful........it is a bit disconcerting to think that "I" am just like all the other sheep that liked this movie, and it's easy to have this knee-jerk reaction saying "yah, it wasnt THAT good"..... this kind of thinking helps to set us apart from the masses(in our own mind)

Nah although there are those kinds of people I have to agree with Flashy on this one - I also felt it was the 3D that made the film stand out.

For us older folks weve kinda seen it all before - and although I'm no movie buff I could predict the whole story in the first 5 mins, you had pretty much all the same characters youve had in so many other similar type films - so effects were amazing, the film was good overall - but in 2D it wouldnt be half as good.

Wait a minute, were the smurfs meant to be the good guys? WTF??!!

Frankly, EVERY film has a plot you've heard before, unless you just came out of the jungle and are seeing films for the first time. Pick any film and you can easily find another film with the same plot if you boil down the details to the base. I think someone once pointed out there are basically around 2 dozen different plots out there, and every film made can be summed up as one of them.

So harping on a film because the plot is familiar is actually worse than what you accuse the film itself of doing. It's like pulling someone over doing 10 mph over the speed limit because, well, they're speeding, when everyone around them was doing 15 mph over the limit.

Don't like the characters, fine. Dislike the acting, the visual design, the music, whatever, that's fine, but saying "it's bad because the plot has been done before" is just a cop out.

No actually - Most films ive seen have surprised me with plot lines and twists - although I certainly dont care to analyse story lines of films I just turn up to be entertained.

So when I blatently notice it and it spoils my enjoyment of the film thats when its **** - and has me hoping the planet gets nuked at the end and the bad guys win - which pi**ed me off even more as the tree hugging smurfs won out :good:

Nah although there are those kinds of people I have to agree with Flashy on this one - I also felt it was the 3D that made the film stand out.

For us older folks weve kinda seen it all before - and although I'm no movie buff I could predict the whole story in the first 5 mins, you had pretty much all the same characters youve had in so many other similar type films - so effects were amazing, the film was good overall - but in 2D it wouldnt be half as good.

Predictable...........I'll give you that, but not to the point that the movie was spoiled.

I saw it twice, first time in 2d and I thought the movie showed well in 2d......it was better in 3d, but if it was only released in 2d I dont think it would have been any less of a movie, it was still a BIG screen movie in 2d......just not quite as big

Last night I watched the Hurt Locker...........Great movie!!