Sign in to follow this  
Wels

Nice plane colour photos for the skinners - turkish

Hello,

i accidentally stumbled over those photos at Canakkale, Turkey (Gallipoli) while searching information on the LVG I and II types in the BAM and BAO squadrons, and the early Albatros B.Is.

Maybe those photos have been recoloured later, but they look like "the real thing":

http://www.dijitaldunyaforum.info/forum/ataturk/777-canakkale-uzerindeki-ucak-filomuz-ilk-defa-goreceginiz-resimlerle.html

Greetings,

Catfish

Very cool Wels. I am quite sure they were tinted by hand from black-and-white photos, but they are still a great resource. Thanks for sharing.

good.gif Talk about snapie dresser. Good pics.

Great stuff Wells... thanks!

OvS

Is it only my feeling - when I see those people from some 93 years ago,

they look so much less worried and stressed; so much more relaxed?

Is it only my feeling - when I see those people from some 93 years ago,

they look so much less worried and stressed; so much more relaxed?

Must be the more relaxed Turkish Weltanschauung - Germans who were serving in Turkey and the Middle East during the war often complained about how slowly everything was done there by the local people. They had a different attitude toward life than the German officers who wanted everything done as quickly and efficiently as possible. These cultural differences always caused problems for European expeditionary forces in Asia, especially if the troops were led by men who didn't even want to understand the differences. But able and understanding commanders like T. E. Lawrence (Lawrence of Arabia) were able to achieve good results in cooperation with the local peoples.

Those pictures are hand-coloured, and they look great. I've never seen anything like them from the Turkish front of the war. A fascinating glimpse into a world that was lost long ago. Thanks for sharing them, Wels. Too bad I don't understand Turkish... :good:

They do look great.

What's the story behind the black squares? Did the Germans block out their crosses to avoid antagonising their Turkish allies?

Hello,

i guess the black square was indeed the turkish official marking of the time, but if the planes had initially german crosses overpainting would have been sure convenient ..

cool.gif

Greetings,

Catfish

Great looking pics,thanks for sharing

Hector