Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

Find the Copperhead

Went down to our fine state of Texas once with a friend. Turned out we were in a dry countyso we took a drive to get some beer. On the way back we stopped at some historical marker to have a beer and I got out of the truck and went to check out the cement marker that had two small trees flanking it, one to each side and a bit in front of it. By then it was darkand my friend hit the lights on his truck, and I had stopped in my tracks just before he did, and this was about an inch from my face,,,,,48116303gardenspider5.th.jpg

he was about the size of my hand

Edited by ONETINSOLDIER

Chalk me up for a spider-hater as well - I had a furry one jump at me whilst I was in the shower, FFS!!! :yikes:

Anything that has more than four legs for me I can do without, but anything with 8 legs is definitely Kill-on-sight material!!!

My favourite bug-cleaning critter that I love to have in my house - the more the better:

EchseItalien.jpg

Tarentola Mauritanica, commonly known as moorish gecko, is present in mediterranean countries and supposed to bring good luck to those who have it - and very bad luck if you accidentaly kill one. I don't know why, but I really like these geckos, they're cute, and they sure as hell don't bother me in any way - and they're free to eat all the bugs they can get in my place - preferably, including spiders!!!

The only trouble with a free roving gecko is tha they have to crap. And they'll be like birds about (whenever, wherever).

I had a Bearded Dragon as a pet and some of their dumps can be massive and wet and unpleasant and smell really bad. He was insectivourous too. Technically Beardies are supposed to eat plants as well, and for a while he did, but he developed a taste for crickets and just started refusing to eat salad, so I had to give him more crickets (which he knew would be coming if he held out).

While all creatures, including spiders and mantises do this, the smaller the creature, the smaller and less noticable the output. lol

Lots of irrational fear in this thread. blum.gif

From what I've seen, most people imagine themselves on the same scale as the "creepy crawlies", as if they were a threat (I'd say a good 90 - 95% of spiders are absolutely not a threat, ever). Yet people aren't creeped out by Preying Mantises.

Here, picture yourself on his scale (or vice versa) -

PrayingMantis06.jpg

diablo.gif

My fears are quite rational thank you. Spiders suck.

I once saw a mantis dine on a dragonfly. Observed the whole process from the capture to the moment the tail of the prey disappeared in the mouth. Yum!

lol on_the_quiet.gif

Spiders are awesome. Absolutely amazing creatures with ingenious methods and techniques. From the bolo-spider that throws it's web like a bolo, to the net-casting spider that hangs above it's prey and throws a net on it like Spiderman, to the "jumping spider" class that hunts by keen eyesight.

The Portia spider is exclusively cannibalistic, but it is probably the most amazing of all. It has color stereo-scopic vision, only, rather than moving the outside of it's eyes (like we do), it moves a cone inside, so it can be looking you up and down without moving it's eyes, sorta like built in shades. These little things can solve problems. When approaching prey, it will use problem solving to overcome obstacles in it's path, and to find the best way to strike, if it's initial plan isn't working or is less than ideal. It has been known to drum on prey webs like a mate, or like a caught bug, whichever will work best for it. Or it will use wind gusts to mask it's movement across the web. Or just drop down on a drag-line and attack from above (since web-dwellers can't see very well). I saw a video where a researcher had one sitting in front of a CRT with a CGI counterpart displayed on it, and when the CG Portia began waving it's arms around, the real one responded similarly. Like it was trying to communicate! cool.gif

Speaking of drag-lines, that's another amazing aspect. The silk is more effective than kevlar as bullet absorbing matieral. Would also make for great carrier trap cables too. And the way they can produce sticky or non-sticky, structural or trapping 'cables', or drag-line silk, all from the same organ.... it's incredible really.

They've also managed to exist for millions upon millions of years, and are so numerous in numer of species, it's not even funny. lol

Now I like the mantis. One of the coolest bugs ever.

The moorish geckos are very small, normally between 10-15cm in length, and I've never had to deal with lizard poop anywheres - probably they did their s**tting outside, since they don't limit themselves to being inside the house but outside as well. Some day who knows I'll dedicate myself to breeding these wonderful creatures... due to their small size, they're really cute, and diligent at their jobs.

What about eels?

Oh that's easy. Everyone fears the eels! I mean look, they even get into our hovercrafts!