Sign in to follow this  
76.IAP-Blackbird

X-51A Scrammissile tested

pretty cool pics.

How long does it thrust?

200 seconds

so its performance is based on the average guy......

All snide comments aside, this is actually pretty significant for a couple of reasons.

One, the previous attempt at scramjet propulsion was 12 seconds, which was considered a success. This was almost 20 times longer in duration...a true cruiser vs a quick jolt of thrust.

Two, for a technology pusher, a lot of stuff used was cribbed from other systems. The FADEC was from an F-35 F119, the booster was from the ATACMS, and the igniter was from a TF33...from an old C-141. There are more examples all throughout the system. The idea was to minimize new tech risk and increase redundancy (the history of test missile flights are usually only 50% success) to increase the chances of having 4 good flights.

Both of these are significant...because it means lots of room for growth in capabilities/range in future versions. If your foundation is solid, adding to it is much easier.

If you've ever read up on the challenges of having a successful SCRAMJET engine, you know why this is significant for future transportation and weapon systems.

FC

Thx FC, I have read nearly all accesable articles writen in languags I can understand about Ramjet and Scramjet technologie. A very fascinating system and the next stept in aviation, so for me this test was important enough to be posted here.

Sorry can`T understand the other comments here :dntknw:

Edited by 76.IAP-Blackbird

Thx FC, I have read nearly all accesable articles writen in languags I can understand about Ramjet and Scramjet technologie. A very fascinating system and the next stept in aviation, so for me this test was important enough to be posted here.

Sorry can`T understand the other comments here :dntknw:

they're just being thilly............

:rofl:

this is an awesome development.

of course (sarcasm alert) - we all know that we've really been flying this for years under the Aurora Program. We are just doing this now to get Plausible Demiability....

:grin: