Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

Question for the car people

My Grand Am has a dent in a really awkward spot on the hood. It's been there since I got it in January. No, I didn't do it. Whatever the case, it's annoying and I want to get rid of the dent without spending money. Any of you gear/petrol heads have a way for removing dents? Also, do they sell champagne beige paint anywhere? I need to do a little touch up in some places.

Here's a picture of it. The dent is on the edge of the hood just above the Pontiac emblem.

post-26481-12756869212984.jpg

Edit: this topic posted twice. Can a mod delete one?

Edited by Viggen

Least aggressive way of doing it is spray some of that compressed air cleaner that is used to clean keyboards over the area of the dent. The air is super cold and will force the dent to contract a bit. Then immediately blow a hair dryer on it. The hot air will cause an immediate reversal of what the compressed air cleaner did, causing a rapid expansion of the dent to form back to how it's supposed to be. Right down the VIN number on the car... usually the last 5 to 6 digits, and bring it to the local Pontiac/GM dealership. They should be able to have touch up paint available. If not, then you can order some.

I would say it's in a dumb spot the dent. Since the only way to get rid of it is either filler or a new Hood.

how about wetting down the hood, and using a toilet plunger? It just might pop back

depending on the year, there should be a paint code on a placard (used to be in the trunk). If not, a trip to the dealership for color matching, possible via the VIN, or they should know where the tag is

wrench

kevin stein

What you need is a planishing hammer and a dolly of some sort. You'll probably have to work at it quite a bit, but it should do the trick as long as you're careful.

What you need is a planishing hammer and a dolly of some sort. You'll probably have to work at it quite a bit, but it should do the trick as long as you're careful.

and you may also cosider usig oxy/acetylene on the area to shrink the metal as you do this, either way you are left with a patch that needs filling and wet/dry sanding, in terms of painting it is only ever worth painting the entire panel, feathering in a patch is never going to be invisible, or just get a new hood.