Sign in to follow this  
rabu

What WWI fighter is this?

Ah, but I didn't.

How about this one...

Could it be a Lohner type? But I don't have the faintest idea, which one?

Rabu, Rabu - you are some hero! If you leave the footnote in the picture,

it is a quick shot to just go to that site and check out, what aircraft it is!

Mmuahahahahahaaa!!!!

Ya, I know, I just think some of these are so interesting though. BTW, the Russians ended up getting the Tri-Noop.. did that lead to their revolution?

So it was really used in combat?

Could it be a Lohner type? But I don't have the faintest idea, which one?

Nope. It was built by a German Aircraft Works :wink: . Here's a clue. It's a very early war aircraft that might have caused some upset to the RNAS. Why?

Could it be an "UNION Pfeil" or a "Bomhard Pfeil"? But still I can't answer, why it caused upset to the RNAS.

Could it be an "UNION Pfeil" or a "Bomhard Pfeil"? But still I can't answer, why it caused upset to the RNAS.

Well, 'Pfeil' will get you closer, but not close enough :grin: Gibt es jemand anders, der dieses flugzeug wisst?

It's a D.F.W. Pfeil but all I could find is the picture, though I think it is a 1912 Model, and I have no idea what the connection to the RNAS is.

Beard

Yep, or a DFW Mars "Pfeil". And here is what you possibly meant about the RNAS, Dej:

Captain Collet lost his life on 19th August 1915 when the aircraft he was flying crashed soon after taking off from Imbros aerodrome,

having climbed to 150 feet the engine cut out and the aircraft crashed and caught fire.

Chief Petty Officer Michael Sullivan Keogh (HMS Ark Royal) attempted to rescue Captain Collet from the burning wreckage and sustained

serious burns himself. He managed to drag the pilot clear but Collet had died of his injuries.

For his bravery Chief Petty Officer Keogh was awarded the Albert Medal.

The aircraft was built by DFW (Deutsch Flugzeugwerke GMbH, Germany) and purchased under contract no. C.P. 36909/14.

On 17th March 1914 it arrived at Brooklands from Germany and was assembled before being tested on 25th March 1914 and accepted at

Brooklands. On 13th May 1914 it suffered a repairable accident whilst on the flight from Porstmouth to Wick, flown by Lt C H Collet RMA,

(who was it's regular pilot thereafter) with a supplimentary fuel tank installed, the engine failed (a 100 h.p. Mercedes) which resulted in a

forced landing at Jenning's Farm, near Donna Nook, Lincolnshire. On 3rd June 1914 the aircraft was delivered to R.N.A.S. Eastchurch,

possibly on arrival at Eastchurch it was re-engined with a Beardmore 120 h.p. motor. By 8th Augsust 1914 it had been allotted to

the R.N.A.S. Eastchurch defence and became part of the Eastchurch (Mobile) Squadron. There is no record of it's arrival at Scarborough

Racecourse on 10th August 1914 but it did arrive at Skegness on 11th August 1914 so it must have been quickly repaired.

The Mobile Sqn. were based at R.N.A.S. Immingham from 9th August 1914, moving to R.N.A.S. Skegness on 11th August, moving back to

Eastchurch on 24th August. For some reason No.154 was left behind at R.N.A.S. Killingholme, and it was back at R.N.A.S.

Immingham on 28th August, again flown by Collett.

Whilst stationed at Immingham in October 1914 it was grounded for identification reasons. It was dismantled at Immingham on 6th October

and then transported to R.N.A.S. Eastchurch on 8th October. It was deleted from R.N.A.S. records on 20th February 1915 and parts were sent

to R.N.A.S. Killingholme and Wormwood Scrubs on 19th June 1915.

May I post the next one now?

Edited by Olham

That's the gen. Here is the photo. As you can see I had to do some research of my own :grin: Next?

Okay, here comes the next one. The Sopwith Triplane and the Fokker Dr.1 were not the first Triplanes.

This one was only built in a very small number, but the constructor built more types.

What's this plane?

Edited by Olham