Sign in to follow this  
rabu

What WWI fighter is this?

Here are some hints. As you all have probably guessed, this is quite obscure and never entered service. In fact, this is the 1st prototype which was thoroughly unsuccessful. It was completely rebuilt several times during testing so the final version looked quite different. But even the final version never made the bigtime.

Also, you all are looking for answers a few hundred miles too far north and west.

OK, here's one that might stump some people, although a major part of the answer is visible in the pic :).

WTF is this? When I was a toddler, I vaguely remember having a pull-toy airplane that looked much like this. It had bigger wheels made of red plastic with a bent axle so it wobbled when I pulled it along by the yellow plastic tube that served as a string. The axle also had a crank on it that worked like a cam on a wooden disk that had some sticky coating on it. When this got turned, it made a squeaking sound.

But, this was a real airplane. Any guesses?

I know, I know!!!... Mattel Toy company's Barney Fokker! They had to do a recall though... too many toddlers getting shot up and crashing at 25 feet.. too bad.. fabulous dynamics and a dream to fly! :heat:

Edited by rabu

OK. here's one for you History experts... what is the plane, model, date, and any other pertanat data on this photograph?

I know, it looks like a joke, but a huge hint... "Max" somebody fired 300 rounds before this went down :yikes:

x_c82cc246.jpg

Not sure about yours Rabu, but I have sorted out Bullethead's after his hints. It is the 1916 Lohner D.I Series 111 prototype.

Oh, oh ... I have yours sorted out now too, rabu. It is BE2c, number 4197, of 8 Squadron, shot down by Immelmann near Pelves, east of Arras, on the 13th of March 1916. :smile:

Oh, oh ... I have yours sorted out now too, rabu. It is BE2c, number 4197, of 8 Squadron, shot down by Immelmann near Pelves, east of Arras, on the 13th of March 1916. :smile:

Go away! :this:

Yea, you're right.. how did you do that? That was supposed to be super difficult! ..yoiu must have seen the phto.

Sorry rabu, you gave way too big a hint with "Max". I just pulled up his record of victories and found it there. I'll leave now.

OK, smartypants.. what is this one? And, RAF Louvert, you stay out of this, you're too smart! smiley_boxin.gif

x_58245ac8.jpg

Another BIG hint, February 2nd 1916

And, no one has guessed what Bulletheads is! (I may be wrong about Mattel)

Edited by rabu

I had thought, that Bullethead's craft was a Hungarian UFAG (Ungarische Flugzeugwerke AG) D 1 - no?

rabu wrote:

And, no one has guessed what Bulletheads is!

Actually, if you look back in the posts, I noted last evening that Bullethead's is the 1916 Lohner D.I Series 111 prototype. Here's another photo of it from a different angle:

Lohner_10.20_Type%20AA_DI_Series_111_prototype.jpg

As to rabu's latest offering...I'm not saying a word.

Rabu, your's could be a Voisin III (Type LA) ? Was delivered to Russia.

But who knows this one - aircraft AND pilot?

Edited by Olham

French Vision or something like that ?

gallery_50835_358_9914.jpg

Yes, French Voisin, very good!

rabu wrote:

Actually, if you look back in the posts, I noted last evening that Bullethead's is the 1916 Lohner D.I Series 111 prototype. Here's another photo of it from a different angle:

As to rabu's latest offering...I'm not saying a word.

Sorry. Louvert.. so my Mattel guess was wrong, should have known you would come up witht the answer. :grin:

Rabu, your's could be a Voisin III (Type LA) ? Was delivered to Russia.

Yep, Voisin type 3, but the date is important too. Any guesses? Oh, well, I'll just spill it. It was V1221 from Escadrille VB108 (sounds strange, but that's the info I have) It was Berthold's first victory on February 2, 1916.

Thanks for the info - I don't have such detailed knowledge of WW1 air combat history.

But now: what about my fighter and it's pilot - does no one out there know him?

Okay, since no one seems to know: you are welcome on my last question, RAF_Louvert.

JFM, you should also know it?

Okay I am thinking that your plane Herr Olham is 2 planes the spinner on the front looks like it has come from a Morane-Saulnier N... from there back it could possibly be a Bristol Type 1 Scout C... but not too sure...

Nope - it's an unmodified type.

Nope - it's an unmodified type.

Hmmm Interesting... maybe I am looking at this the wrong way...

Hint: note the uniforms!

shred

Okay, okay. To stop Olham fretting that noone's trying hard enough :grin: , it's a Ponnier M.1 and the pilot is Abel De Neef. Taken at Koksijde airfield.

Now, what is this fighter; what role was it designed for and what was interesting about its armament?

Edited by Dej