Sign in to follow this  
RAF_Louvert

Paul Blum's Story: A BHaH Pilot's Saga

Right - I got that misunderstood; my fault. I dare to assume, that he may later change to Jasta 28w - the Württembergische Staffel.

They operate in a far more dangerous area, and I am already curious about his further ways and deeds.

Assuming Paul survives until April of 1917 a transfer to the Württembergische Staffel would seem to be inevitable given his status, his local citizenship, and King Wilhelm II's and Queen Charlotte's personal interest in the brave flieger. We shall see what fate has in store.

Just the best reading, Lou. So good to read, wo well put together.

Many thanks Ras, I am glad to know you are still finding Paul's story enjoyable. Will we be seeing one of yours soon in "Reports From the Front", yes?

Ras, you seem to be counting the days 'till you get the new rig?

You are a flyer, for whom I really wish, that it will all work out best, and you can soon enjoy "our OFF" again.

Excellent reading on quiet days... even for an ardent RFC man like me... shame my Strutters seem to fall out of the sky courtesy of a certain Mr Oswald Bloeke... 3 times now in RNAS 5 I have been shot down by him...

No shame, Slart - the man must have been VERY good at that.

You guaranty a good read each time; I sat with my mug of freshly brewed hot coffee, and felt again

like I would have liked to be there with Paul and his comrades - despite the cold weather.

Next time take at least half and half normal rounds and incediary ammunition - then it should blow

up, in the second run at least.

From Julius Buckler's book, it sounded as if he only had incendiary ammunition belted, cause he

said he couldn't really fight an enemy fighter with it. Do you know about the differences?

Many thanks Olham, glad you are still enjoying the read. As to your question on the difference in the ammo, from what I remember the incendiary rounds had very little "punch" when they hit an object so I can imagine it would be hard to damage an aircraft in a dogfight with them. I believe they had a much more limited range than regular ammo as well.

Thanks for the info - sounds like it would be better to mix ammo then; you want to get enough holes into the bag.

Cause as far as I remember, Buckler said, that you can flame the gas only, when it is mixed with the air

surrounding the leakage. That's why the flare gun method from "Der Rote Baron" (or was it "Flyboys"?)

would not work, if there were not leakages in the hit area.

Edited by Olham

This is marvelous! I really enjoyed the read. I found some parts to be quite moving - like Paul's first reunion with his family. I look forward to the next chapter!

Excellent bit of writing - look forward to reading more - keep it coming!

Olham,

Would raising your guns slightly before firing a second burst above the holes that you have punched in the balloon not work to ignite the escaping gas?

Just a thought, as I have not been on many balloon busting flights since the ground gunnery was improved and they are not shooting down their own balloon as I approach.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Well, in OFF it is rather easy for us to do.

I fire two or three short bursts while diving on the sausage, and up it blows.

Many thanks Ratatat and Beanie for your kind words regarding Paul's story. I'm glad to know you Gents are enjoying the read. I hope to be adding the next installment sometime later this week, if time allows.

Cheers!

Lou

Thank you Elephant, glad you're enjoying Paul's saga Sir. Thought it was time to give his sweetheart Sophie a "voice" in the story.

Supplied with a big chunk of "Böhmische Walnusstorte"* from "Coppenrath & Wiese"**,

and a good mug of hot coffee, I sat down to read the next adventure of Paul Blum.

I had equipped myself like that, because I expected a bitterly cold wind around my nose

in the read of another big fight. Instead, I find the worries of that cutie, like a handwritten

torture for our poor Ritter Paul. Women! She is surely a good and nice young woman,

full of desire for, and worries about our Paul, and that is only natural.

But let's have some action again soon, eyh, Lou?

*a tarte with apples, cinnamon and candied walnuts

** a Munich confectionery

mmmmmmmmmmmmm...Böhmische Walnusstorte mit kaffe.

Olham, I promise more excitement in the next installment. :smile:

Ratatat, glad to know you are also enjoying Paul's saga.

Wasn't meant too serious, Lou - after all, she is somehow part of his story; even if she is far away.