Sign in to follow this  
Slartibartfast

A-4E and F-8 landings...

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65675055330_United-States-A-4E-Skyhawk_USS-Hancock-CV-19_Vietnam-Carrier-Air-Strike_F-8D-Crusader

Whilst wandering the web as you do looking for something and nothing I came across this video footage of A-4E's and F-8's landing on the USS Hancock. That F-8 looks like it wants to eat the deck on landing...

• Like 2

Great find! I always had a problem landing the Gunfighter on deck! And I think it's interesting when the Scooters land, the deck member running up to the leading edge and riding it while it taxis forward. Does anyone know why or what's he trying to do?

If you look closely,you'll notice that the 'Scooters' nosewheel casters around backwards after it stops and starts to roll backwards to release the arresting wire.

The ground man is there to assist the pilot in turning the aircraft in case the brakes fail(differential braking for steering) or the pilot has trouble getting the nosewheel to turn back around forward. :heat:

Later model 'Scooters' had nosewheel steering.

Edited by ezlead
  • Like 1

great find...

i was wondering about what the guys on deck were doing, noticed they release the wire wasn't sure about steering the jets :lol:

What a great Vid - yes you can see the F-8s almost get it in the chin