Sign in to follow this  
CowboyTodd41

Windows XP Service Pack 2

It's up at the MS site right now. It doesn't just stop viruses and worms, it powerbombs them into oblivion, Hulk Hogan style.

Be aware, it's also going to break some apps. By default, XP SP2 locks all posts, you have to reopen some if you do any game hosting, etc. It's a great update, just go in with your eyes open. ;)

where is it?I went to M$ and it said coming soon....can you give me a link to the download?

my favorite tip: Wait for everyone else to DL it....and see what they have to say.

<C>

Fates

I'm with Fates.... :D

Too late. Already installed. I will be one of "those people" to give you a report of how's-it'going!

NC

Wish me luck. If things go South, I will NOT be a happy Chief.

Well I got it installed and the most surprising thing is the new firewall protection panel, a giant leap forward from the on/off button buried in the network connections panel. Haven't tried most apps yet, everything seems to be in order, here's hoping.

As per Fates' recommendation (and mine also) I give you the following article (and I guarantee you it WON'T be the last):

IBM Just Says No to XP Update

Concern over compatibility prompts IBM to delay wholesale adoption of Windows XP Service Pack 2.

IBM, for one, is holding off on installing the security focused update for Windows XP. In a note headlined "To patch -- or not to patch" posted Friday on its corporate intranet, IBM tells its employees not to download SP2 when it becomes available because of compatibility issues. A copy of the note was obtained by IDG News Service.

"While this patch may be good news for other Microsoft Windows XP owners, IBM is directing XP users not to install SP2," the note states. With close to 400,000 desktops, IBM is a very large Microsoft customer.

"[...] Currently, some high profile, business-critical applications are also known to conflict with SP2"

SP2 for Windows XP is more than the usual roll-up of bug fixes and updates. Microsoft has made something of a trade-off, focusing on security at the expense of compatibility. As a result, SP2 can render existing applications inoperable. Microsoft has urged developers and IT professionals to test the update.

And here's the part I found most laughable.... get ready for this:

Microsoft's own software is also affected. Earlier this week the software vendor released an update for Microsoft CRM 1.2 because SP2 will prevent the original application from running correctly.

Nice. Glad to see they got a handle on patching THEIR OWN SOFTWARE. :blink:

IF they didn't effect thier own....someone would have sued them

<C>

Fates

Too late.  Already installed.  I will be one of "those people" to give you a report of how's-it'going!

NC

Wish me luck.  If things go South, I will NOT be a happy Chief.

ohh so you gonna be one of 'them' !!!! good for you!...from what I have read here and other places I thinks if one is not overly attached to one's hardrive it might be worth a shot,meaning one just might need format the hard drive,re-install and leave alone lol lol

Just an observation thus far, but no problems to report whatsoever.

All seems to be working just fine.

I will say this, though, the built-in popup stopper with SP2 works fantastic!!!

Navy Chief

All seems to be working just fine.

The flight sims Chief,how the flight sims doing????

Ok, here's the deal. I have not installed SP2 on my Game Hard drive yet; only my C: drive. I don't expect it to cause any difficulties, EXCEPT the firewall being on. I do not use a firewall with my game drive, as my router takes care of that. Have always had trouble flying online if firewall is on.

Navy Chief

I've been running SP2 since RC1, and have installed on about 10 different PC's and laptops without a single issue. My boot times and general response times have felt slightly better, but I don't have any hard numbers. ;)

While I'm paid to be skeptical of all patches/software, I have to admit my experience with SP2 has been good. From a security standpoint, it's something that has been a long time coming.

The IBM article is a little misleading. IBM SHOULD have been ready for the new port stuff, the beta patch has been out for 8 months or more. The reason this is going to break some apps is not really MS's fault, as not allowing just ANY port access to a box is something that should have been that way since the beginning. SP2 is just going to force programmers to actually think about security for a change. :D

well our systems at work needed to be"tweaked"but it seems to work fine in our network...

Installed yesterday an havent noticed anything not working. It def gives you a sense of being alittle more secure I guess. Im not planning on installing on the rest of the machines at home. Think Ill run it on mine for abit an watch the forums. Can someone tell me if the link on this thread is for the beta or the official SP 2?

R/S

Creepy847

Semper Fi.

Edited by Creepy847

I have to admit my experience with SP2 has been good. From a security standpoint, it's something that has been a long time coming.

. SP2 is just going to force programmers to actually think about security for a change. :D

yeah it has,ok heres another question,does it play good with any other firewall programs? for example zone alarm,or jimmysurf ad blocker?..or for that matter with symantec products?

I have to admit my experience with SP2 has been good. From a security standpoint, it's something that has been a long time coming.

. SP2 is just going to force programmers to actually think about security for a change. :D

yeah it has,ok heres another question,does it play good with any other firewall programs? for example zone alarm,or jimmysurf ad blocker?..or for that matter with symantec products?

Exactly what I'm wondering, or does it replace them?

my favorite tip:  Wait for everyone else to DL it....and see what they have to say.

<C>

Fates

Safe, and works great. The network install is actually the safest way to assure that you get a good install. It contains more alternative installs so as to ensure platform compatibility. The smaller single machine install is 88MB, barely a third of the size, and optional platform device compatibility is sacrifices for a more manageable code size.

I always opt to use the IT/Developer versions whenever I can for this reason. None of my machines are of the pure vanilla variety, and this way, I make sure that my devices are covered as best as possible by the download.

Go 'head and git' it. :)

-Skater

I've been running SP2 since RC1, and have installed on about 10 different PC's and laptops without a single issue. My boot times and general response times have felt slightly better, but I don't have any hard numbers. ;)

While I'm paid to be skeptical of all patches/software, I have to admit my experience with SP2 has been good. From a security standpoint, it's something that has been a long time coming.

The IBM article is a little misleading. IBM SHOULD have been ready for the new port stuff, the beta patch has been out for 8 months or more. The reason this is going to break some apps is not really MS's fault, as not allowing just ANY port access to a box is something that should have been that way since the beginning. SP2 is just going to force programmers to actually think about security for a change. :D

It's the same here. I work for Merrill Lynch, and we are directing users not to install it, and have been doing so since RC1 was released to the net. This patch is huge and has a very wide scope, and our systems, some 300,000 desktops and other devices of which XP represents about 40% and soon moving to more than 75%, are not homogenized.

Our internal patch verification and testing process has not finished certifying the SP2 package, and won't be finished for some time. It boils down to a manpower issue, and I suspect the same is true over at IBM. It will eventually be certified and released to our XP users via our internal processes, but for now, the answer to the SP2 question is no. It has nothing to do with whether SP2 works as advertised or not. IBM is an IT Services vendor of ours, and I know that is their policy as well.

I have dissected the package at length, and it is probably 99% safe for all home users. The only issues I have seen were with some VB and VC, Powerbuilder and FoxPro created (homegrown) apps. I can also verify the MS CRM issue, but they released the patch on CD to all CRM users before RC1 was finished testing. CRM was not an issue for MS, the uswer base was not extensive, and including the fix in the SP2 package for all users would mean increasing the size of the SP2 MSI by more than 30%. Not really an option.

Trust me guys. SP2 is completely safe to install.

-Skater

Installed yesterday an havent noticed anything not working. It def gives you a sense of being alittle more secure I guess. Im not planning on installing on the rest of the machines at home. Think Ill run it on mine for abit an watch the forums.  Can someone tell me if the link on this thread is for the beta or the official SP 2?

R/S

Creepy847

Semper Fi.

Official SP2 Network Multi-Machine Install.

Better than the single machine install, and more than 3 times the size, weighing in at about 272MB versus about 88MB.

-Skater

MS reccommends that you use only one firewall to avoid problems. They say use either their FW or use a third party FW, but not both. I say bulls**t!

I use a three-tiered defense.

I use a hardware firewall (Watchguard Firebox 700) as my Primary Layer.

I use a software firewall (Norton Internet Security 2004) as my Secondary Layer.

And I also use another software firewall (Windows SP2 FW) as my Tertiary Layer.

It works fantastically. I have been using variations of my three layer defense for the last 8 or 9 years, and I have NEVER had a successful intrusion yet. I upgrade as the technology available (at a reasonable cost) improves, and so far, after thousands and thousands of attempts, not one hacker has made it through all three layers. Most are neophytes who do not have the skill to even try, but there have been a few good ones over the years that I have seen. Still, I have always prevailed.

So the answer to your question is YES. It plays well with other firewalls, just ignore the MS warning not to do that. They are basically covering their ass against litigation with that statement.

-Skater

Exactly what I'm wondering, or does it replace them?

Bingo! that's the question I thinks a lot of folks want to know..