Sign in to follow this  
ArturR

How to reduce G forces?

I wonder how to reduce the possibility of achieving very high G-forces, example in F/a-18s we can reach 16g or even more

Searching some information here and at Thirdwire forum decided to add 'MaxControlSpeed' paremeter in stabilizers sections:

[LeftStabilizer]

SystemType=CONTROL_SURFACE

InputName=PITCH_CONTROL

MovingSurface=TRUE

MaxDeflection=20.0

MinDeflection=-30.0

MaxControlSpeed=160.8

ControlRate=2.0

ModelNodeName=Leftstab

ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

[RightStabilizer]

SystemType=CONTROL_SURFACE

InputName=PITCH_CONTROL

MovingSurface=TRUE

MaxDeflection=20.0

MinDeflection=-30.0

MaxControlSpeed=160.8

ControlRate=2.0

ModelNodeName=RightStab

//ReverseModelOrientation=TRUE

it helps, aircraft now reach max ~8G but problem is that doesnt decelerates on maneuvering :blink: , anyone have idea??

Oh, just put in a few lines that make wings fall off due to stress and have fun :grin:

In full AB, or in mil power? In full ab, a Hornet should be able to sustain 9 Gs in a horizontal turn, without bleed off.

Gr.Viper: right:lol:

Fubar512: In mil power but on pitch up.

a Hornet should be able to sustain 9 Gs in a horizontal turn, without bleed off.

Now I'm confused, Hornet doesnt have 7.5G lock ??

I was gonna say "don't pull so hard on your stick"

wrench

kevin stein

Yup it has, "can" and "does" are different thing though. As a carrier based plane it passes through a lot of stress during it's operational life so I guess they've put a lower limitation to extend it's operational life...

I think Spanish Hornets have 9g limitation and also of course I'm guessing the Blue Angels display team's Hornets lol

Edited by Brain32

It's very simple.

Look for the MaxG parameter...that will tell the sim the Max G the AI will pull...but it also forms the base for the StructuralFactor multiplier in the Component sections. This is a simple multipler that tells the sim at what multiple of MaxG to start applying damage, to the point of destruction if you apply either too much past the multiplier or hold past for too long. This mimics real life 'soft limit' aircraft like the Hornet.

FC

It does , but you can pull past it. Not sure about the E and F models.

Yes and no.

The Hornet, like some other modern FBW aircraft has what are called 'soft limits'.

The computers will help you stay within those limits either by an outright stop or by taking out your inputs as you approach the limit.

In the Hornet (I think), there is a switch or toggle that allows the pilot to go right past the limiter if he needs it. In the B-1B (which is partial FBW), if you pull fast enough, you can go past all 3 limiters. In either case, the idea is that if you REALLY need it, the ability is there for you to use.

Other aircraft that are FBW though can have 'hard limits' that will not let you exceed them no matter what the case (F-16, most Airbus airliners, etc)...

FC

I found interesting stuff, its info about Hornet FM in Freefalcon compared to real data from Natops

so anyone who is good in fm has nice source :grin:

F-18C FM.pdf

In the Hornet (I think), there is a switch or toggle that allows the pilot to go right past the limiter if he needs it.

This is correct, it's the paddle on the bottom of the stick.

Dels

It is possible to effectively impose a G-limit on a given flight model, and thereby simulate FBW controls to a degree. For example, I set up the F-117 FM in the original ODS pack using this method.

It involves setting up the XMAC tables for the aircraft's lifting surfaces (and balancing them against the lift values for the stabilators), in such a way as to limit the aircraft's ability to exceed a set G limit at all speeds. It easily accomplished via a bit of trail & error, and (as FastCargo would say) a lot of "skull sweat" :grin:

One then needs to compare the FMs performance against published performance curves, and adjust as necessary to make the end result seem believable.

Also "ControlMachTable" function on control surfaces can work very good, so one can't pull 800 G's at Mach 2 lol, I think that came in with TK's F-16..