Sign in to follow this  
Hellshade

GTX 580 on order! (Christmas comes early)

Well my GTX 280 is starting to show it's age a little bit so after reading a bunch of reviews (and previews of the ATIs next card) I decided to bite the bullet and order an overclocked GTX 580, which is supposedly the fastest single GPU card on the market. It's faster (by about 20%), cooler and quieter than the GTX 480 (and that was the fastest card on the market before this came out) so I figure it should really make OFF fly even on the highest settings. I was looking at possibly getting the new ATI card when it ships sometime next month, but even ATI isn't saying that it'll be faster than the GTX 580. Just that it will be 30% to 50% faster than their previous generation GPU. Hopefully it turns out to be a great choice. It's on next day shipping but with the holiday season starting who knows when I'll get it. I'll let you all know how it does when I get it.

This is the link to the overclocked version that I ordered.

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6942892&CatId=3669

Hellshade

Well my GTX 280 is starting to show it's age a little bit so after reading a bunch of reviews (and previews of the ATIs next card) I decided to bite the bullet and order an overclocked GTX 580, which is supposedly the fastest single GPU card on the market. It's faster (by about 20%), cooler and quieter than the GTX 480 (and that was the fastest card on the market before this came out) so I figure it should really make OFF fly even on the highest settings. I was looking at possibly getting the new ATI card when it ships sometime next month, but even ATI isn't saying that it'll be faster than the GTX 580. Just that it will be 30% to 50% faster than their previous generation GPU. Hopefully it turns out to be a great choice. It's on next day shipping but with the holiday season starting who knows when I'll get it. I'll let you all know how it does when I get it.

This is the link to the overclocked version that I ordered.

http://www.compusa.c...2892&CatId=3669

Hellshade

Hellshade,

That is one nice looking card, I can't wait to hear your reports on how it works, and see the video's that you produce using it.

Just one question how did you slip it past the finance department?

Suddenly my 2gb ATI 5870 feels inadequate.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

Wow, good for you!

I wish I had 500 to spend on a new card... :dntknw:

Things are very stressed, in economy, here in Greece...

I want to see your movies then... :yikes:

Hellshade,

That is one nice looking card, I can't wait to hear your reports on how it works, and see the video's that you produce using it.

Just one question how did you slip it past the finance department?

Suddenly my 2gb ATI 5870 feels inadequate.

Thanks

Rugbyfan1972

I am the finance department. The wife encouraged me to get it because she says I treat her and the kids so well. I bought her a brand new car last year so $500 for a video card is hard to argue.

I'm not so sure your 2GB ATI 5870 is inadequate at all. The texture fill rates on ATI cards are faster than Nvidia. Cloth and particle stuff gives the advantage to NVidia, so your card might actually be better for OFF than mine. Unfortunately nobody ever uses flight simulators to benchmark perfomance on. It's all Crysis, Bad Company 2 and games like that. They really need to throw at least one flight sim in there for a better global view of how the new cards handle different types of games. I mean they benchmarked Civilization V for pete's sake. I could be wrong but that hardly strikes me as a graphic intensive application. At any rate, it will hopefully ship on Monday and I'll have it on Tuesday. Even if I get in on Weds I'll be happy. That would give me the long weekend to run the new card through it's paces.

Hellshade

Hellshade,

That is sneaky, buying your wife a new car, before suggesting that you need a new graphics card. I will have to remember that one when if/when I get married.

I will have to play OFF extensively (and learn how to use TrackIR5 to discover how good my 5870 actually is.

Thank

Rugbyfan1972

Well, maybe I won't have Christmas early. It's on Backorder!!!! Arghhhhhhh!!!!

Hellshade

Hellshade,

That is sneaky, buying your wife a new car, before suggesting that you need a new graphics card. I will have to remember that one when if/when I get married.

It's a brilliant move indeed. The veterans on this forum dispense wisdom on fighting the Bosche and a managing marriage with equal enthusiasm.

Hellshade, I can only hope your wife won't make me responsible for this spending, because I wanted that "mega-movie"???

Well, seriously now: remember to pick the one with the most memory onboard - I'm looking forward to your future videos.

Hellshade, I can only hope your wife won't make me responsible for this spending, because I wanted that "mega-movie"???

Well, seriously now: remember to pick the one with the most memory onboard - I'm looking forward to your future videos.

It has 1.5GB of GDDR5 ram with an effective speed of 4050Mhz. ATI boards have more ram but it's still a huge jump up from 1GB of GDDR3 ram.

Hellshade

Nice card. Believe it or not, it's more expensive than the last two computers that I bought (the ones I bought for my kids, not for me :grin: )

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Oh for the want of a bigger check book. Very nice HS, keep us posted on when it arrives and you have it up and running. BTW, what are you doing with your old card? :wink:

Oh for the want of a bigger check book. Very nice HS, keep us posted on when it arrives and you have it up and running. BTW, what are you doing with your old card? :wink:

Well my wife's computer doesn't have a big enough power supply to use it and the only games she plays are World of Warcraft and Farmville. Hardly GPU hungry applications, so I was planning on putting it up on e-bay unless someone wants it here. Are you or anyone else interested at, say, $75? It's a 1GB GTX280. Works perfectly.

Hellshade

I would glady buy it from you for $75 Hellshade. Do you have a PayPal account Sir?

Dear Hellshade,

If are looking for the best of the best at the moment then it will be this baby.

http://www.asus.com/...T0w8&templete=2

http://www.guru3d.co...us-ares-review/

Morris

It looks very impressive indeed Morris, however $1,000 is a bit out of my budget at this time. I should have bought my wife a less expensive car, damn it. :rofl:

That and the noise levels on this are very loud. 52db under load compared to 41db for the GTX 580. Since my computer is in the bedroom and I do a lot of my gaming after the wife is going to sleep I need to keep the noise levels down as much as possible. That said, 4GB of GDDR5 on a dual GPU board will certainly crank out the FPS. It's a beast in every sense of the word. Loud and powerful!

Hellshade

I would glady buy it from you for $75 Hellshade. Do you have a PayPal account Sir?

No, but a check would do if that worked for you. Naturally I have to wait and see when my new card shows up and verify that it all works. Other than that, consider it yours sir.

Hellshade

A check it is then. And of course you wouldn't want to part with it until you have the new card dialed in properly. I'll PM you. Many thanks Hellshade.

A check it is then. And of course you wouldn't want to part with it until you have the new card dialed in properly. I'll PM you. Many thanks Hellshade.

No problem. I'll send it right out to you sir once I have the new one working. When you have it setup and working to your satisfaction, then you can send the check. Make sure you like it and it works for you first.

Hellshade

I wish my ambulance customers were half as easy to do business with as you are Hellshade. :smile:

Thanks again Sir.

good example why this is the best forum ever.

good job guys :drinks:

Ditto, Creaghorn!

I love it, that you will both get a better card now, Hellshade and Lou!

Nice work guys and congrats on the new card Hellshade! It should be amazing!:yikes:

Just thought I'd mention that my new card is a GTX 460 768MB version and it runs OFF smooth as silk. I have all the sliders set at 5 and I haven't even gone in to the config. this time around to tweak any settings!

I love it!

Hopefully the added eye-candy in P4 won't make me cry.

I'm running off a "gaming" laptop so unfortunately there's no card upgrading for me without getting a whole new computer. I should have gotten a real computer in the first place but alas I was young and foolish when I got this comp. Funny thing is the screen was too heavy for the laptop's hinges and they cracked, now the laptop's screen won't stay upright anymore. Thankfully the wife got me this nice HD monitor last year, I just hook up the laptop to this. But basically I can never take the laptop anywhere so it may as well be a PC except I can never upgrade it.

Lesson learned! I'm betting by the time P4 comes out I'll be out of college and have a career with actual income, then I can get a really sweet rig. Hell I might even get that Obutto gaming cockpit they reviewed over on the Hardware forum and live like a king good.gif

Nice work guys and congrats on the new card Hellshade! It should be amazing!:yikes:

Just thought I'd mention that my new card is a GTX 460 768MB version and it runs OFF smooth as silk. I have all the sliders set at 5 and I haven't even gone in to the config. this time around to tweak any settings!

I love it!

Hopefully the added eye-candy in P4 won't make me cry.

Outstanding. That gives me a great deal of hope that I should be able to run OFF:BH&H just fine and likely P4 when it ships. Now if the card would just come off backorder I'll be in good shape.

Hellshade

Hi Hellshade,

I forgot to mention that I'm not running the HiTR expansion yet. I hear it puts more demands on your graphics card than stock BH&H.

Before anyone says anything...HiTR is on my Christmas list! :grin:

Ratatat

Hi Hellshade,

I forgot to mention that I'm not running the HiTR expansion yet. I hear it puts more demands on your graphics card than stock BH&H.

Before anyone says anything...HiTR is on my Christmas list! :grin:

Ratatat

You'll probably get HitR before I get my new video card. It's on Backorder still. :suicide2:

What kind of frame rates do you get with your rig, sir and what resolution settings do you run at?

Hellshade