Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

OT..What's your favourite Christmas Carol?

The merriest joyful tune I know in German is "Kling Glöckchen klingelingeling".

Here are most of the other Christmas songs I know and like.

Kling Glöcklein klingelingeling

Lasst uns froh und munter sein

Edited by Olham

Those are all so beautiful, I love them all.

But uffda, I almost forgot about dis vun! Anudder vun uf my fayverits.

...hee hee hee...

"Ring, Little Bells, Ring"! Another of the songs we sang :good:.

Not to try to one-up Capt. Sopwith's 78, but we were cleaning out the pole barn this summer and ran across something my mother-in-law had brought with us when we moved here from southern California nearly nine years ago. Her father had worked in the recording, radio and movie sound effects business back in the 20's and 30's. When I looked inside a box that was much heavier than I'd expected it to be :heat: I found dozens of glass masters. I'm thinking of talking to my wife about selling them online. I could probably retire.

Oh, and by the way...if anyone suggests "Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer" I will hunt you down!!!

Olham, von Baur, thanks for your kind sentiments - and a question - how do you all get those You Tube items to show in your posts?

Capt. Sopwith, the movie had the same effect on me. And how could it not?

RAF_Louvert, you seem to have been tasting the right combination of spices with the Gluhwein too often, have you?

I didn't know that guy, but I also liked "Who hid the Halibutt on the Poop Deck".

Wayfarer, you copy the line from the little address window in YouTube, and paste it into your post.

mmmmmmmmmmm...Gluhwien...hic...needs more cimmamem...er, cimnamin...no, cimmarin...ah the hell with it...needs more cloves...hic...

Okay, as the the intodruction - introctusion -ahm - the into... well the beginnnnnng of the title of

zzis thread was: OT - heresssssomething off topic tooo.

(Glühwein is also called "Punsch" in German. This TV series was made in the early seventies;

an attempt of German humour and self-irony. Alfred Tetzlaff was a Berliner bigmouth with a

complex about being so small. He behaved - and maybe even looked - like a mix of Kaiser

Wilhelm and Adolf Hitler, and used to call his wife things like "you stupid cow", and his son-in-

law "dirty communist pig". A pity you won't understand most of it, but it's just fun to watch him

get drunk during the making of his "Punsch" - enjoy!)

(Glühwein is also called "Punsch" in German. This TV series was made in the early seventies;

an attempt of German humour and self-irony. Alfred Tetzlaff was a Berliner bigmouth with a

complex about being so small. He behaved - and maybe even looked - like a mix of Kaiser

Wilhelm and Adolf Hitler, and used to call his wife things like "you stupid cow", and his son-in-

law "dirty communist pig".

Ever heard of Archie Bunker? Called his wife "dingbat" and his son-in-law "meathead". He was the central character in the US TV series "All in the Family", which premiered in 1971 and was itself copied from..."inspired by" is the polite term for it... a BBC show called "Till Death US Do Part". He even had a loyal following in a tongue-in-cheek Presidential campaign in 1972. A popular T-shirt had the character warning us all that "There's a little bit of me in all of youse".

The idea for Alfred Tetzlaff may well have been copied from the British - humour is not one of our original strengths.

Don't feel too bad, Olham. The Brits practically have a monopoly on good humour.

I think they invented it?

I believe the Celts, Romans, Anglo-Saxons, Danes, Normans, Hugenots etc etc etc brought theirs with them and added it to the melting pot :grin:

With such ingrediants, you should get an interesting stew. :grin:

... an interesting stew. :grin:

As accurate a description as any of a culture that is laughably referred to as 'British' :grin:

Anyway, back on topic, here's another favourite 'The Coventry Carol'. Genuinely mediaeval, 15th century, as opposed to the 'traditional' ones which are mostly 18th and 19th century. I've selected this version because it's supposed to be sung by women.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUFQoNW7NPs

Edited by Dej

There's always this standard, performed in a new and novel way in this video:

Edited by NS13Jarhead

Here's a good one! My Son loves it. Edited by Cameljockey