Sign in to follow this  
MikeDixonUK

What cost Immersion?

Doesn't quite relate to OFF as such, but I know this community has a number of, shall we say 'enthusiasts' who are probably used to this sort of thing.

Just bought an (aparantly -t'eBay after all) WW2 era Fleet Air Arm Type C Flying Helmet for a silly amount of money, same style as these but not quite as good condition - it looks pretty much the same as the B Type RAF style they wore in the Battle of Britain, to me at least (no doubt there are major differences that a real enthusiast would spot):

faahelmet.jpg

The plan being to get a pair of PC headphones, get rid of the connecting band between them and stick the ear pieces inside those two zip up pockets on the headset - then try to attach the TrackIR Track Clip Pro to the leather strap just above the left ear pocket.

I already bought some cheapo reproduction RAF Goggles from the gift shop in Duxford incase you were wondering. :grin:

And I don't even know if the thing will fit my massively over sized head! :heat:

Just wondering if anyone else has done anything even more mental in the name of immersion?

Edited by MikeDixonUK

Can't even begin to imagine what your outfit will look like should you want to fly in winter uniforms to replicate the season.

Still, think it's kind of cool. Me, I have trackir coming via reindeer and can't wait to take this game to another level. Who knows, maybe I will survive long enough to get my first credited kill and some award.

Well, even if I wouldn't go as far as wearing such a cap during my OFF fights, I find this a lovely piece of historical equipment, MikeDixon.

Great stuff!

Good on you!...Just please don't go the whole Hog, and cover yourself in petrol, light it...and jump off a tower block ok? :lol:

Pfft - I'm not totaly crazy!

Obviously I'd pour petrol on my boots, set them on fire - then shoot myself with a revolver. :grin:

Pfft - I'm not totaly crazy!

Obviously I'd pour petrol on my boots, set them on fire - then shoot myself with a revolver. :grin:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:swoon: I did have a Flyers Summer type (cloth) helmet . I used it on the motorcycle once in awhile. Pre-Helmet Laws and a very long time ago Mid 70 s ? I think its cool to have one for OFF.:kudos:

Here's my WWII stuff...

A Netzkopfhaube Lkp 101 set with early type splinter goggles and oxygen mask!

post-10763-021576300 1292239026.jpg

:salute:

Edited by elephant

That's a great piece of equipment!

The name and the goggles suggest, it's a German one, elephant?

It seems to have larynx microphones.

The fact it's web instead of full leather suggests it was used by the Africa Corps,

or on Sicily or in Greece? Do you know more about it?

Edited by Olham

I will admit I knew a guy who used to fly Tornado on the Amiga back in the early 1990's and he had a full flying suit helmet etc... to play the game. He once came out riding his motorbike with crash helmet and his flying suit on over his leathers...

Yes, I know about the helmet and your thoughts, Olham are logical and justified but, it has a different story actually...

From 1940 and on, the Net helmet became the most popular one between LW crews not only as a lightweight summer or for tropical use item, as it was first intoduced, but in every front every season.

In my example the leather earphone parts have wool fliece lining...(earphones made by Siemens).

Back to our story, the helmet belonged to a pilot or crew member of a Ju-88 that was downed over river Mercey at Liverpool during a night Blitz bombing mission in 1941. The pilot or crew used his parachute and aparrently his kapok filled type life-jacket when he was dragged out of the river and stripped off his items by angry civilians. The helment and life jacked were found, forgotten, in an attic a few years ago when I bought the helmet at an e-bay auction...(I could not afford both).

:drinks:

Edited by elephant

Better a Track air Hat the an Aluminum one . ( The story goes that a man was asked why he was wearing an Aluminum Hat. he reply's

that they are Aliens among us who eat brains, but they cant see through Aluminum. By wearing the Hat, they wouldn't know that he had a Brain.:declare:

Very neat flying caps Mike and Elephant. Here is my WWI French aviateur's version:

WWI_French_Aviateur_Cap_01.jpg

And I can appreciate immersion and wanting to feel more connected to the men who actually flew the Great War planes in combat, which is one reason for the uniform that stands to my left whenever I am flying in the OFF skies.

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_2.jpg

So who's crazy here? :grin:

Cheers!

Lou

Here's my WWII stuff...

A Netzkopfhaube Lkp 101 set with early type splinter goggles and oxygen mask!

post-10763-021576300 1292239026.jpg

:salute:

Wow U have some good stuff. :bowdown2:

Very neat flying caps Mike and Elephant. Here is my WWI French aviateur's version:

WWI_French_Aviateur_Cap_01.jpg

And I can appreciate immersion and wanting to feel more connected to the men who actually flew the Great War planes in combat, which is one reason for the uniform that stands to my left whenever I am flying in the OFF skies.

OFF_Old_School_Throttle_2.jpg

So who's crazy here? :grin:

Cheers!

Lou

Nice, Way to go Lou

Olham, if in fact I do "top you all" with this sort of thing, (and I don't believe I do), it is only because of my excessive compulsion with WWI aerial warfare. Whether or not that is a good thing is very much up for debate...just ask my lovely wife. :biggrin:

Carrick, thank you for the kudos Sir.

Well - in questions about war and combat, you should never ask your wife, Lou.

Some hours ago I talked to my almost-wife (the longest relationship I ever had - still my best friend) -

and I told her that I may do a trip by bike and train next year, to visit some WW1 aerodrome sites.

She said, she would rather drive somewhere, where the landscape is nice.

I then told her, that the landscape IS quite nice around there.

She replied, that she doesn't understand it then, why I should look for reminders of a long ago war.

We ended up in a discussion about the differences between men and women.

Edited by Olham

Some hours ago I talked to my almost-wife (the longest relationship I ever had - still my best friend) -

and I told her that I may do a trip by bike and train next year, to visit some WW1 aerodrome sites.

She replied, that she doesn't understand it then, why I should look for reminders of a long ago war.

It's not that you're looking for reminders of the war, it's just a fascination with history. I for one would -love- to visit the Western Front today, but I have the disadvantage of living on the other side of the big pond. Plus it might get rather morbid as I've read that, at least on the Somme and presumably on other former battlefields, they still uncover remains to this day. Still, it's important to remember that these things did happen once and there was a generation of people who were thrown into that mess with little choice in the matter, particularly now in our comparatively 'pampered' age. 'tis my philosophy at least.

An airplane I understand a computer I understand, I understand and can strip an engine down I can field strip multiple types of weapons rifles pistols etc... Women though I will never understand and I will challenge any man alive on that one... Women just as soon as you think you understand them the rules change!!!

... Women just as soon as you think you understand them the rules change!!!

So true... :ok:

Javito, I would rather visit places like the Chateau at Roucourt, or simply a field besides a village,

which I know had been an airfield for some time - so there's not too much morbid about that, I think.

Slarti, a first important thing to begin with, is to understand this different approach towards the world:

Men: try to get to grips with everything via logic and rationality

Women: they live emotional

And that may also explain, why we need each other - to complete each other.

(Now please, don't you think I was THE expert, boys - this was so far all I understood.)

Best line someone gave me about Men and Women is...

Men go to buy Women shop... :rofl:

Here is a guide I have kept handy for years. You may want to have a laminated card-sized copy made that you can keep in your wallet for quick reference.

When she says, “We need…”

what she actually means is, “I want…”

When she says, “It's your decision.”

what she actually means is, “The correct decision should be obvious by now.”

When she says, “Do what you want.”

what she actually means is, “You'll pay for this later.”

When she says, “We need to talk.”

what she actually means is, “I need to complain.”

When she says, “Sure...go ahead.”

what she actually means is, “I don't want you to.”

When she says, “I'm not upset.”

what she actually means is, “Of course I'm upset, you moron!”

When she says, “You're so manly.”

what she actually means is, “You need a shave and you sweat a lot.”

When she says, “You're certainly attentive tonight.”

what she actually means is, “Is sex all you ever think about?”

When she says, “I'm not emotional! And I'm not overreacting!”

what she actually means is, “I'm on my period.”

When she says, “Be romantic, turn out the lights.”

what she actually means is, “I have flabby thighs.”

When she says, “Hang the picture there.”

what she actually means is, “No, I mean hang it there!”

When she says, “I heard a noise.”

what she actually means is, “I noticed you were almost asleep.”

When she says, “Do you love me?”

what she actually means is, “I'm going to ask for something expensive.”

When she says, “How much do you love me?”

what she actually means is, “I did something today you're really not going to like.”

When she says, “I'll be ready in a minute.”

what she actually means is, “Kick off your shoes and find a good game on T.V.”

When she says, “Is my butt fat?”

what she actually means is, “Tell me I'm beautiful.”

When she says, “Yes.”

what she actually means is, “No.”

When she says, “No.”

When she says, “Maybe.”

When she says, “I'm sorry.”

what she actually means is, “You'll be sorry.”

When she says, “I'm not yelling!”

what she actually means is, “Yes I am yelling because I think this is important.”

When she says, “You have to learn to communicate.”

what she actually means is, “Just agree with me.”

When she says, “Are you listening to me!?" (Too late, you're dead.)

:grin: