Sign in to follow this  
Skyviper

Footage of a C-130 landing on Carrier

I must say that this is a first for me. I've never head of this and I'm glad I could see this other wise I would've never believed it. Wonder if this has ever been done again?

in JAG (the series of course) they mentioned it about 7 years ago... :good:

Yes, but it was done dozens of years ago!

The concept was tried but proved far too risky so they gave it up and stuck with the C-2.

Check out this link.

http://www.theaviationzone.com/factsheets/c130_forrestal.asp

The initial sea-born landings on 30 October 1963 were made into a 40-knot wind. Altogether, the crew successfully negotiated 29 touch-and-go landings, 21 unarrested full-stop landings, and 21 unassisted takeoffs at gross weights of 85,000 pounds up to 121,000 pounds. At 85,000 pounds, the KC-130F came to a complete stop within 267 feet, about twice the aircraft's wing span! The Navy was delighted to discover that even with a maximum payload, the plane used only 745 feet for takeoff and 460 feet for landing roll. The short landing roll resulted from close coordination between Flatley and Jerry Daugherty, the carrier's landing signal officer. Daugherty, later to become a captain and assigned to the Naval Air Systems Command, gave Flatley an engine "chop" while still three or four feet off the deck. :yikes: