Sign in to follow this  
Olham

When a butterfly in China flaps with it's wings...

Wednesday, when I was just working in my graphic program, my system crashed down.

I had that before, and after a new start, it was usually all back and fine.

But this time, when I tried to open the same work again (which I had saved on the desktop),

my system froze. Another reset failed to boot Windows at all.

A friend of mine helped me to get it all working again. We had to write back a safety backup

of my C: partition from September.

My OFF couldn't find several data anymore, so I'll have to re-install it now.

In the new year, I'll save money to get me a new system now, with Win 7 64bit.

I feel your pain Olham, but as Slarti has noted at least you have it sorted out for now. Last weekend I did a total reinstall of my OS and all programs in my flying computer to get rid of something that found it's way in via the internet and had severely impacted performance. But all is "as new" again and running like a finely-tuned Daimler Mercedes D.III inline six.

I'm sorry to hear that, Olham. You know that I lost my hard drive a few months ago, so I know how it feels. It's good that you didn't lose everything like I did. Well, I did have backups of the most important things, except OFF. I was mightily annoyed when I lost all of my pilots.

Yes, my pilots are all lost now, Hasse Wind.

OFF was installed on another partition than C:, which we had to write back from an earlier saving.

Still though, OFF didn't function anymore.

I will now re-install it all again, after checking the install order in OFF's website.

In the new year, I'll save money to get me a new system now, with Win 7 64bit.

With RAID-1 drive mirroring, I hope.

Just terrible, isn't it? My PC is behaving badly, too, with odd freezing, crashing, ... So, I decided to quit PCs and move over to Mac! Because I want to continue flying OFF, I'll have to install Windows 7 on it, but if it wasn't for OFF and other flight simulators, I would entirely forget about Windows. Soooo many problems with all my previous Windows based PCs!

Hope you guys have good luck re-installing.

Edited by foreigndevil

This is totally screwed up today!

After de-installing all remains of OFF and CFS3, I had made new installs of both.

(I made one flight on CFS3, as required).

With the result, that OFF couldn't find a CFS3 map, and my campaign wouldn't start.

So I de-installed it all again.

This time I made sure to install CFS3 in English (before I had chosen "German").

Now I got the message during install: "Please insert CD 2"

I am installing CFS3 from a one-DVD-box!

I checked and made sure I hadn't accidently used the older CD's.

No - I had used the DVD - and there is only one!

I'll try it one more time today - if it won't work, I'll give it up.

Edited by Olham

Olham, if you are not using a cache and registry cleaner that is likely the problem. Get CCleaner download here:

CCleaner Free Download

Install and run both the cache cleaner and registry cleaner, and repeat them both until they come up with zero entries for stuff. Then reboot and try your reinstall of OFF.

Good luck.

Generally, OFF has not required a pre-install of CSF3 since back in the days of Phase 2. The install instructions on the back of my BHaH DVD case makes no mention of pre-installing CSF3. That's because the OFF install program is now smart enough check if CSF3 is installed, and if it isn't, to ask for the CSF3 disks and get the required files directly from them at the appropriate time.

That said, there shouldn't be any problem if you have pre-installed CSF3 like in the old days. I just mention it here since Olham is having problems getting his install to work, so maybe try not preinstalling CSF3 and see if that works better (?). Its a long shot, but you never know, given how flukey computers can be sometimes.

OMG . Everyone has or had problems with the Operating Systems. Hang in there guys.:frantic:

Got it all back working again! Thank god - nicest pre-Christmas present!

Thanks, Lou - I used TuneUp Utilities to clean the registry; and after a clean install, it all works now.

Not sure about your tip, 77Scout.

Perhaps it works, when you install the sim on the C:bootdrive - I have mine under E:games.

OFF seems to need to know, that there are folders under AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields?

Not sure - never tried to drop the install and one flight with CFS3 (to get those folders created).

Did you really get it all started without that proceedure?

Thank you, foreigndevil - yes I'm very glad to be in the skies again.

That is a tale both terrifying and topical Olham.

I have made a few upgrades to my computer recently, new motherboard, processor and graphics card. It was all for nothing I thought today after a constant barrage of blue screens.

Needless to say I was very disappointed and angry. It turns out that I had downloaded some kind of corrupted file whilst messing around with CFS3 add-ons. I have learned my lesson and will not be doing that again.

My Hard drive was sick and broken, unable to reinstall windows 7.

I have a replacement hard drive in it now, and another on the way. Nothing will be installed on this computer until I recieve my BHaH disc. Which I hope will be coming soon.

I dont think that many third party downloads will be in my future at all. I just want OFF to run.

Once bitten, twice shy - I wish you that your OFF may arrive soon, smilingmonkey.

Not sure about your tip, 77Scout.

Perhaps it works, when you install the sim on the C:bootdrive - I have mine under E:games.

OFF seems to need to know, that there are folders under AppData > Roaming > Microsoft > CFSWW1 Over Flanders Fields?

Not sure - never tried to drop the install and one flight with CFS3 (to get those folders created).

Did you really get it all started without that proceedure?

All I can say is review the install procedure on the back of the DVD ... it is dead simple. It says put the DVD in the drive and click the "OverFlandersFieldsV1.0" file and follow the instructions. Nothing more is required.

Yep, it worked fine for me. As I mentioned, the installer checks to see if CSF3 is installed or not and acts appropriately, exactly as Winder explained to us all here on the forum back when Phase 3 was first issued.

Okay, I'll try to remember that. I seem not to be the only one who didn't remember that.