Sign in to follow this  
Wayfarer

Enemies Nearby!

On the last leg of reconnaissance missions, behind our lines, I usually accelerate time, or warp a little, to get back to the airfield. Sometimes I get the 'cannot leave ... enemies nearby!' message. A couple of times I have got this message even when no other aircraft were showing within 8 miles on the TAC. Does anyone know the actual distance that has to be clear before acceleration/warp is allowed?

On the last leg of reconnaissance missions, behind our lines, I usually accelerate time, or warp a little, to get back to the airfield. Sometimes I get the 'cannot leave ... enemies nearby!' message. A couple of times I have got this message even when no other aircraft were showing within 8 miles on the TAC. Does anyone know the actual distance that has to be clear before acceleration/warp is allowed?

Should be 4 miles. I'm personally hoping the Devs figure out a way to drop that down to 2 miles for Phase 4.

Hellshade

I though it was 8 miles, but no matter. Just keep flying at normal time and you'll eventually fly out of their range or they'll get close enough to see (Hint: let the Archie be your guide - you can see that before you can see one moving pixel)

I always choose a TAC setup of 4 miles, and once the last white blip disappears at one edge,

I can warp shortly after that. So it may be four miles.

Thanks for your replies. I thought I'd been able to warp with the enemy over 4 miles away before now. I'm wondering whether I could actually have had enemy aircraft flying parallel directly below us - being one of the few times nowadays that I returned with most of my flight, and in close formation. We were at about 8000'. Could I have missed a different coloured spot under the gaggle of blue.

As far as my recollection of the situation, friend or foe are of no difference, anything outside of your flight, will trigger the reaction :drinks:

Uncleal, that could be it.

It is possible there was the remnant of another flight near us. Unfortunately, it was one of those landings where all the AI aircraft flew into a wood at the edge of the field and blew up. I wasn't quite sure who made it back.

Don't know about warp (folks round here say bad things can happen when you warp), but using time acceleration you only get pulled up ('can't leave') when there are enemy planes in the vicinity. 'Friendly' white dots can appear and disappear on your TAC and there's no message or interrunption to your acceleration.

What I've wondered (but haven't got round to trying) is whether the 'can't leave' messages come up when you are using time acceleration irrespective of whether you have the TAC up or not. Can't think why they wouldn't, in which case this would be a good interim step if one is trying to wean oneself of using TAC.

Happy New Year! :drinks:

I use time warp a lot and I have noticed that it only kicks out when enemies (not friendlies) get just outside of the 4 miles from your plane. That is not just horizontal distance, but takes in vertical distance also. I have also noticed that aircraft only show up on the TAC at that distance. If you are set on the 8 mile screen, aircraft will not show up until they get within that radius that kicks off the warp. You can however see ground objects on the screen all the way out to 8 miles. That allows you to target a ground object, like a railroad or airstrip at the greater distance.

Beard

Note this is NOT a radar device, it's actually an "Awareness" device.

Not ALL enemies are always in your "awareness" radar. The ones you see there are ones you may be aware of ;)

Friendlies that are yet unrecognised will cause it sometimes until you get closer to identify and they turn from white to blue.

I think, decrypted Pol is trying to say, that enemies may be hidden by clouds, or in the sun.

As long as they are invisible for you, they won't appear on the TAC.

Guynemer has once attacked our flight like he had attacked Udet's.

(Well, I think it was Guynemer - his attack out of the sun was so sudden, and he was gone,

before I could read "Le Vieux" on his SPAD).

Note this is NOT a radar device, it's actually an "Awareness" device.

Not ALL enemies are always in your "awareness" radar. The ones you see there are ones you may be aware of ;)

Friendlies that are yet unrecognised will cause it sometimes until you get closer to identify and they turn from white to blue.

Now that explains a lot! It may help me break the habit of using the TAC if it doesn't show all enemies anyway.

I start off with the best of intentions, but the paranoia gets to me. I realise that accelerating/warping also tells you when enemies are close so I should really stop that. It's just that I have to fit OFF inbetween people's coursework. Still, my wife's course ends in August ... perhaps I'll just carry on using them until then!

I don't fly with TAC or any of the other little aids, so this is normally how I discover that enemies are nearby:

enemies_nearby.jpg

:grin: