Sign in to follow this  
Dave

The AIM-9G, SEAM and YOU!

KB,

Stop lurkin' man...that's two jarheads we haven't seen in a while... (you and Jarhead1)..

FC

. It was to take advantage of the new AIM-9L Seekerhead Improvments. The AIM-9L was released in 1971.

The Lima sidewinder introduced in 1971? :blink:

Of course it took some time to really get out there in service. The AMRAAM was in use during Desert Storm but was never fired because so few of them were in the field. It took several years for its first combat use.

The Lima sidewinder introduced in 1971? :blink:

In 1971, the USAF and U.S. Navy agreed to jointly develop the AIM-9L, a vastly improved Sidewinder based on the AIM-9H. Major development goals were ALASCA (All-Aspect Capability) and effective use against violently manoeuvering and high-speed targets at all ranges. The AIM-9L had new long-span pointed double-delta canards, a modified MK 36 solid-fuel rocket motor (MODs 8 through 11), and a new AN/DSQ-29 solid-state guidance and control section. Additional improvements include a completely new Argon-cooled Indium Antimonide (InSb) seeker, a DSU-15/B AOTD (Active Optical Target Detector) laser proximity fuze, and an improved 9.4 kg (20.8 lb) WDU-17/B annular blast-fragmentation warhead. All AIM-9L features resulted in a vastly improved missile which could acquire targets at all aspects, and had a much improved tracking, manoeuvering, terminal homing, and killing performance. Production started in 1978, and more than 16000 AIM-9Ls have been built by Philco-Ford, Raytheon, BGT (Germany), and Mitsubishi (Japan). The AIM-9L was used very successfully by the Royal Navy in the Falklands War during 1982.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/m-9.html

I thought the Harrier had a gun ranging radar? If so then that could do SEAM as well IIRC.But I'm not sure. If Gunny said it could then it could.

Nope.. no radar on harriers until the SHAR and 8B+

The SEAM software forced the AIM-9G/H/L seeker into a scaning pattern, typically a circling motion

This increased the area the seeker could scan from the normal ~2.5° with a caged seeker

The seeker could scan and acquire targets which were somewhat off the aircrafts nose in az/el

So no need to point the aircraft/missile seeker directly at the target

This scanning pattern is emulated by the "Uncage Seeker" function in SF weapon data

If "Slaved Seeker" is checked too, then the seeker should be forced to look at the target which is locked by the aircrafts radar

"Slaved Seeker" function is not enabled in several stock missiles which should have it, eg. the whole AIM-7 series should have this box checked ...

Great info Otto. I guess I will be doing some editing tonight on some missiles.

Which AIM-7's should have that checked as well?

Nope.. no radar on harriers until the SHAR and 8B+

Right on Target Crusader! :good: But don't forget about the Gr.3's. They had a Radar....

The G&C Patteren is suppose to be in a Circular Pattern, But in reality, It does it in a Egg Shape. Why? Well, It doesn't spend alot of time looking Up as opposed to looking down and side to side.

331KillerBee

Kind of a sidebar, but how does seeker head coolant amounts play into this? Later models having more or better utilizing the amount on hand? And/or better optics, etc...

With the LAU-138 BOL rails, I know it was meant to increase the number of chaff bundles a jet can carry, but I thought I read that the nose assembly has a larger coolant tank in it as well. Gunny can you enlighten?

-S

This scanning pattern is emulated by the "Uncage Seeker" function in SF weapon data

If "Slaved Seeker" is checked too, then the seeker should be forced to look at the target which is locked by the aircrafts radar

"Slaved Seeker" function is not enabled in several stock missiles which should have it, eg. the whole AIM-7 series should have this box checked ...

More out of the box thinking, but can the "Slaved Seeker" function be used for visual locking? Using the Easy mode for the HUD or Avionics, you can designate target wthin visual range. Closest to center or next visual target, etc.

Can a JHMCS or DASH helmet/AIM-9X, Python IRM combo be created?

-S

Right on Target Crusader! :good: But don't forget about the Gr.3's. They had a Radar....

I don't think they did. They had a laser in that 'dolphin' nose.

I don't think they did. They had a laser in that 'dolphin' nose.

I stand Corrected. Forgive Me.....I was thinking FRS, and wrote Gr.3. You're right. That's a Laser in that Nose.

My Age is telling on Me now....

331KillerBee

Edited by 331Killerbee

KB,

Stop lurkin' man...that's two jarheads we haven't seen in a while... (you and Jarhead1)..

FC

Hey, im around, just not as often as I used to be. Gotta hopefully get my sim computer back from the Ex when everything is final then ill be back and playing again. But so yall know, I am still alive lol, and drop in here once n a while to see how things are. Just got alot goin on right now but hey thats life right? Anyways hope everyone has been ok and all is well with everyone. If yall want, drop me a line on facebook, or add me as a friend, as I check it either every night or every other night. just look up Kevin Alan Stinson n u found me. See yall later.

Kevin,

AKA Jarhead1