Sign in to follow this  
jamieandnici

At last I have the money to finally build my dream machine

Well its a new year with new resolutions. My first resolution was to start burning off all this fat. Yep, man boobs and all!! A typical New Year's resolution I presume. However I also decided to take the plunge after saving up over several months and to finally buy and build a new computer. I currently have an:-

AMD 64 4000+ (watercooled & overclocked at 3.00GHz),

Asus A8R32-MVP,

4GB DDR 3200 (Win XP 32bit only detects 3GB),

ATi HD4670 graphics card,

Soundblaster Audigy 2,

(Windows XP SP3 32bit),

.....which I have had for a good 5 years now (I started out with the ATi xtx1900x graphics card but replaced it last year as OFF was losing framerates). I have decided to finally build my dream machine with the goal of having it up and running by March or April 2011. It will consist of an:-

AMD Phenom II 1090t (OCed to 4.2GHz)

(watercooled with a Corsair H70)

Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard,

2TB Samsung Green HDD,

Corsair 1200W PSU,

Antec nine hundred mid tower case,

8GB (4x2GB) of OCUK DDR3 1600MHz (OCed) RAM,

Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound Card,

..and either 1x ATi 5970 or 2x 6970 (Crossfire) graphics cards,

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OS.

I already own:-

TrackiR 5 (with track clip),

Saitek Quadrant,

Thrustmaster T16000m Joystick

....so I will be christening this new build with guess!! Yep, you got it OFF!! Can't wait, as I intend to get this beast working like a 'Sopwith on steroids'!! If anyone has a similar spec or some great tips, tricks, hardware help or advice, etc, or if anyone would like to share their POV, thoughts, feelings, concerns, etc. drop me a post. For now though, I'm off to play OFF on my trusty faithful AMD 64 4000+. Tally Ho!! Chocks Away and see you in the skies over Flanders OFF pop pickers!! J.

Edited by jamieandnici

Well its a new year with new resolutions. My first resolution was to start burning off all this fat. Yep, man boobs and all!! A typical New Year's resolution I presume. However I also decided to take the plunge after saving up over several months and to finally buy and build a new computer. I currently have an:-

AMD 64 4000+ (watercooled & overclocked at 3.00GHz),

Asus A8R32-MVP,

4GB DDR 3200 (Win XP 32bit only detects 3GB),

ATi HD4670 graphics card,

Soundblaster Audigy 2,

(Windows XP SP3 32bit),

.....which I have had for a good 5 years now (I started out with the ATi xtx1900x graphics card but replaced it last year as OFF was losing framerates). I have decided to finally build my dream machine with the goal of having it up and running by March or April 2011. It will consist of an:-

AMD Phenom II 1090t (OCed to 4.2GHz)

(watercooled with a Corsair H70)

Asus Crosshair IV Formula motherboard,

2TB Samsung Green HDD,

Corsair 1200W PSU,

Antec nine hundred mid tower case,

8GB (4x2GB) of OCUK DDR3 1600MHz (OCed) RAM,

Creative X-Fi Titanium Sound Card,

..and either 1x ATi 5970 or 2x 6970 (Crossfire) graphics cards,

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit OS.

I already own:-

TrackiR 5 (with track clip),

Saitek Quadrant,

Thrustmaster T16000m Joystick

....so I will be christening this new build with guess!! Yep, you got it OFF!! Can't wait, as I intend to get this beast working like a 'Sopwith on steroids'!! If anyone has a similar spec or some great tips, tricks, hardware help or advice, etc, or if anyone would like to share their POV, thoughts, feelings, concerns, etc. drop me a post. For now though, I'm off to play OFF on my trusty faithful AMD 64 4000+. Tally Ho!! Chocks Away and see you in the skies over Flanders OFF pop pickers!! J.

Man Boobs ? :suicide2: Now there's a visualization that I didn't need. Good luck with the New Rig I too will be getting one in a month or so.

Jamieandnici, that rig will not only run OFF, BHaH, HiTR, P4, P5, and P6, but also the National Defense Grid. You might actually have to dial it down a bit to avoid hinkyness with the old CFS3 engine. Wowzers!

Thanks guys.

@Uncleal Unfortunately I had a bugger of a time finding the right joystick as I am a lefty. There aren't many out there that can be set to left or right handed. This is why I ended up with this one. It's okay but after 10 minutes in the air dogfighting the tension in the springs in the base of the joystick can make your arms ache abit. If you know of any great lefty capable joysticks please let me know. I'm gonna use my rig more than just for OFF (I hope). I love the sim but am not that infatuated with it to build a rig just for this, LOL. I will be using it for other games (BFBC2, other flight sims e.g DCS Black Shark, IL2 etc), apps...and whatever else, you can name.

@Carrick58 Hi mate. This nice to speak with you, as it's usually on Youtube (comments) that we often converse. Yes i'm afraid my man boobs are here for a while at least, but there's nothing like a good 4 mile run twice a week and a hearty session in the gym to start burning them off is there!! When are you making/releasing another OFF vid for Youtube? I'm missing them. Good luck with your new rig. May I ask what you are hoping to build/buy?

@RAF Louvert LOL. Thats funny. I hoping to link my computer to a little known company called SKYNET. I saw their computer systems operating quite efficiently and effectively in the Terminator Trilogy and thought I wouldn't mind having something like that to play OFF with!!

@Morris thanks for the heads up on the Asus Xonar D2X sound card, my friend. I will look into it.

BTW I also have CH Pro Rudder pedals as well, which I forgot to mention at the start of the thread.

might want to look at another case. I have the antec 900 and cable mgt is a slight pain.

UncleAl,

I could have swore you said "a little cut and paste".........:blink:

Jamieandnici,

There are a couple of things that pop right out in that hardware list. Morris mentions the Xonar sound card. Good advice there....and I own a Creative Soundblaster X-Fi Titanium Pro. Go with the Xonar. Creative makes a good product, but their drivers suck....and always have.

Follow Gordohk's advice with regard to the case. It would be a shame to try and cram all that nice, new hardware in the Antec 900. Go with a full tower....not mid-sized. You won't regret it. I'll be happy to point you in the right direction if need be.

Your choice of hard drives.....I'd take a long hard look at that. The WD Greens are fine for external storage, but I wouldn't even consider them as primary drives. Their average sustained read & write speeds are quite horrible. Not good in a gaming environment at all.

Yes, they use less power, and yes, they run a bit cooler, but these are 5400rpm drives and not geared toward performance. Go with the Black series or look at some of the Seagates. Trust me.... http://www.hardwarec...e-review-7.html

Graphics cards......hmmmm. Always good for some interesting debates, but if I was limited to a choice between a single 5970 and 2 x 6970's in crossfire, I'd go with the 6970's in a heartbeat....and I'm currently running a Sapphire 5970 (which I'm extremely pleased with, but only after flashing it to a new BIOS) The card was a complete POS with the original. There are umpteen million references to some of the issues it suffered from on the AMD forums. Quite honestly, If I wasn't limited to a choice between those two specific solutions, I'd be inclined to take a long, hard look at a single GTX 580 with an eye towards dropping a second one in somewhere down the road. Those are magnificent cards, although a bit overpriced at the moment.

That "OCUK" RAM you refer to. I've never heard of it. Did you mean OCZ?? Regardless....the last few gaming rigs I've tossed together, I've been using G Skill memory. Outstanding RAM.....fast, affordable, and very, very reliable. Just a thought....

You have the makings of a very nice rig there, but don't make the mistake of being impulsive and making hasty decisions as I've done in the past. Take your time, do a bit of research, and maybe consider some of the advice you'll get here. It may just save you some grief...

Cheers, and best of luck with whatever hardware array you finally decide on.

Parky

P.S.

Lou......how's that tumor of your's coming along?? :crazy:

It's all gone now Parky, I stuck my head in the microwave and zapped it. Worked like a charm. Only side effect is that I now seem to have developed ADD and it's....hey look at the spider! Why is Austrailia so far away? How do they make pencils? I like oranges! Did you see "House" last night? Woah, my shoe's untied! It's snowing, it's snowing! I want popcorn!

Lou, take these pills. I've given them to Olham in the past, and they have always calmed him down. :grin:

MYN04770.jpg

:off_topic: Sorry guys.....lol

Lou,

Look at it this way. Things could have turned out much worse. The microwave experiment could have resulted in you developing sudden-onset ADHD at which point you'd be looking at also having to get your Homeopathologist to prescribe some lemon-flavoured Valiums. Apparently you have to be extremely cautious when taking lozenge-based tranquilizers because they desolve at such a slow rate. There's the everpresent risk of falling asleep and choking to death on a half-desolved candy.....at which juncture the distance to Australia wouldn't matter at all.

Cheers,

Parky

Edited by Parky

Parky, things can always turn out much worse, as our current government has so aptly proven. I'll be sure and make a mental note about the lozenge-based medication.

Thanks Hasse Wind, but no need for those tablets. I've been taking two pilsners every hour as needed, per my doctor's orders, (at least I think that was his prescription). Seems to be working just fine.

two_pilsner.jpg

(When taking this or any medication be sure to follow all label instructions. Consult your physician or bartender if symptoms do not improve within 48 hours.)

We now return to our regularly scheduled topic...hic...

:lol: Okay, now you guys almost killed my keyboard! It's fortunately a good one from Mickeysoft

(yes, they CAN build good things too) with a water- and coffee-proof inlay protecting the contacts.

Careful with Valium, guys - no joke. Any Benzodiazepan tranquilizers build up in your system,

because they don't fully decay in 24 hours. If you take them for longer, the result maybe negative.

You can get panic attacks. Honestly - no joke.

Pilsner Urquell is a very good and much more biological choice (if you like a slightly bitter touch).

Edited by Olham

How do you advise to correct the issue of Direct X 11 and OFF???

A double Dimple!

No, seriously - my card doesn't do Direct X 11, as far as I know, so I have no idea.

What issues do you have?