Sign in to follow this  
VA27Badger

Fixing Decals to the right position of SF1 to SF2

Hey Guys,

Sorry to bug ya again, but I have another question. I was at it again with adding skins to my game and I believe some of these skins are SF1 version that I am adding to SF2 series. My question is this, "if you look at my screen shot how does one go about fixing these to the correct position". There was no decal or "d" folder in the skins folder that I needed to move in the decals game folder. So what do I do from here? any help is appreciated. Thanks

Fix_pic.jpg

Edited by VA27Badger

you will have to create a decal folder for that skin to put in a mods decal folder. also you will have to do trail and error to determine where the correct placement of the decal should be. means alotta decal ini editing mixed with startin up the game loading the bird in question and lookin at it in game.

meaning: this is a VERY old skin (pre-06), where all the tgas are just dumped into the main skin folder. Also, with SF2 all the LODs are 'slightly' different, to say nothing of the skins ALL being remapped (as Piecemeal can speak to from his recent conversions)

If you create a new /D subfolder,

You'll need to rewrite the entire decals ini for the pathways the reference these decals. All other that don't have a pathway (ie: FilenameFormat=Insignia) are stock, cat-supplied (insigina, Modex numbers -usnattack or usnfighter)

Most of the mesh names have not changed, but WHERE the decals sit has. Use the stock decals ini as a guideline (looks like the A-4F, so it'll be in objectdata003.cat)

for the Modex on the nose, "eyeballing" it's position (which I'm good at in the real world), I've move it aft 1 meter. The "NA" looks like the CVW tail code, and needs moving aft ~ 2 meters, and Up ~.75

it's a bitch and a half converting the Ancient Stuff ™ to modern settings

wrench

kevin stein

Holy Crap,

Cant I just add the decals to the fuselage and tail skin in PSP then in game just turn of markings and that sorta stuff?

Edited by VA27Badger

How you are you going to do that for the serial number? You still need decals for that.

And you still need to create a Decals.ini file and remove the relevant entries.

The fastest way would be to extract the decals.ini file for one of the SF2 stock A-4s and put in into the directory of the textures you are using. That should have the proper position information you need.

FC

Not really, I can use PSP or any paint program that uses font. I have all the fonts the are used for US military. If I can skin the plane's skin like you would in FSX or IL2 then its very easy. By the way what is the format for the skins are they dds, DTX,BMP or some other type file?

Edited by VA27Badger

Thanks Spinners. What the standard size 1024X1024 or does it matter?

It doesn't matter, but you still need decals for the serial numbers...unless every plane in your squadron has the same number.

FC

as long as the skin bmps are 'square' (512x, 1024x, 2048x --and if you're sundowner, 4096!!! :grin: )

TK's given us this FANTASTIC decal system. IMHO, the only reason to paint ANYTHING on a skin would be to free up the mesh for more decals. AND .. the only things that I even consider painting on are things like NationalInsigina, or the occasional FinFlash

Case in point: take a look at the SF2 Skyraider skin sets I've done ... you'll find very few things (if any!) painted on the skin; insigina, CVW codes, serials, right down to the aircraft 'name' and BuNums. It's just a matter of determining the mesh name (if stock, with a unicode capable HexEditor to READ the names only!, or if 3rd party -and it's incuded- the OUT file. That names the mesh heirarchy.) It just takes a little time and effort.

But is usually well worth it

wrench

kevin stein

As regards decal placement, it took me a while to work out but I can tell you now that the decals need to be brought back by a value of 1.4. Some of them might need slight slight adjusting by a fraction more or less, but you'll be able to tell by looking at the decals.

The BMPs are a different story. I had to do a lot of doctoring and copying over of pieces of the SF2 stock BMPs to the old ones. That's if you want them to look good

Here's an example of what I mean: post-29988-034650800 1295566526.jpg

what's sad, is that I can ID most of the various circled bits

the one near the middle is the ALE-40 CM dispenser,

the gray w/black holes are internal spars, that show when the aircraft is shotup or destroyed...

the other bits are various vents and panels and such

wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Guys for the help. I think it would be easier to just add the decals or insignia onto the skins without having to mess with all of the decals settings and figuring out all the proper numbers. Unless adding the decals directly to the skin makes them come out blurry or messed up then I am gonna try may hand at doing it this way. I have off the next 3 days and I ll do and A-4 Skyhawk and post it. Regarless how it comes out. Then Ill compare them to your screenshots Amariani.

So let me get this right. I can make a bmp skin in 1024X1024 using a template or another skin and that should work correct......Do I need to have it 8,16,24,32 bit color or does that matter.

Again Thanks Guys for the input its all good stuff.

Well I tried to place the decals on the AC but they do look a lot better through the games default way. Anyway I was wondering if someone out there would be so kind as to make a small tutorial on how to fix the SF1 decals to work in SF2 series aircraft. I for one would be very grateful, cause I would like to fix some of the paints for the planes and post them. I'm just not real sure on how to place the decals by moving the numbers around. Any one out there care to share your knowledge with the community. Thanks ahead of time for your help.

Edited by VA27Badger

this might help some: (the 1stGen KB's infor is still very valid!)

http://combatace.com/topic/37836-decal-ini-definitions/

remember ALL measurments are Metric, the distance is measured from the 0,0,0 position of the LOD

there are several 'Decal Creation' tutorials scattered around, too

http://combatace.com/topic/30702-decals-101/

(old, but good. i use a slightly different method)

and this one in the FE forums

http://combatace.com/topic/23485-decal-tutorial-long-with-biggish-images/

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

I've got question. Where It should be placed the decal folder? In MODS/DECALS or in MODS/OBJECTS/Decals?

most specifically:

SavedGames/ThirdWire/(Version of Game)/Objects/Decals

that is assuming you are using Vista.