Spang 480th TFS WIP for the F-4E ARNie. Thanks to Ant for the skin, he start it for another plane and I adapted it to the ARNie.

img00004.JPG

interestering .... am I the only one to notice the parked Alert Bird??? .....hmmmm.....and where's all the other crap I put there????

while you're at it, the 3rd TFS, 3rd TFW (PN tail code, from DS) could use a new skin too. You know, while you're updated ARNIEs

(make for work for you??? Who ME???? nnnaaaaa :rofl: )

wrench

kevin stein

thanks Dave. nice treat getting back from reserve drill!

I have my drill next weekend. I'm 16 days away from my 20 year mark.

I have my drill next weekend. I'm 16 days away from my 20 year mark.

bit further off for me this is 2nd drill after 14 years active. mob'ing later this year so that'll take a bite outta time and points. between 45th TFW and 480th TFS does this mean a skin pack for the arnies?:grin: if so i can do a quickish search for Arnie operators vs plain 'E' operators circa 1988.

I always thought that only the SP F-4G had the euro camo.

And the F-4E the SEA Camo... :blink:

I always thought that only the SP F-4G had the euro camo.

And the F-4E the SEA Camo... :blink:

I thought the same until I talked to Sundowner, the resident F-4E expert.

bit further off for me this is 2nd drill after 14 years active. mob'ing later this year so that'll take a bite outta time and points. between 45th TFW and 480th TFS does this mean a skin pack for the arnies?:grin: if so i can do a quickish search for Arnie operators vs plain 'E' operators circa 1988.

I have 17 years active duty and man, going from that to full time Reserve was a culture shock. Kevin already released the Warbirds pack. Im trying to find out who all gad ARNies and the information is hard to fine.

One source says,TAC; 4th TFW,57th TWW, USAFE;52nd TFW and PACAF's 3rd TFW

Some of the 4th TFW birds ended up with the 704th TFS at Bergstrom, a couple of them [at least] were repainted in a weird variation of the hill grays.

Edited by Sundowner

Thanks Ant, I'm on them.

Lets get really confusing....red or yellow or blue tail flash?

52TFWTails.jpg

Spang74_0659.jpg

I'm going with yellow I think......

img00006.JPG

it's nice and bright, and makes it easier to find in the parking lot. (at least, that's how it was on my 69 Camaro!!)

wrench

kevin stein

also most units had a mix of the paint jobs as they went thru maintenance. 163rd TFS at Fort Wayne Indiana had mostly Hill 2, some Euro 1 and two SEA Wraparound F-4Es on hand according to dr doyo and his readme. (photos are out there to support though), fer example. as for the 704th TFS i have pics (in b+w) of some of their birds where one side of the tail was nuetral gray with gunship gray markings (like normal) and the other side reversed light markings on dark tail! of course there is the cow pattern used by the 924 too...... so many options with Phantoms!

as to users, according to USAF Phantoms 37th TFW also used Arnies with their Weasels to reduce hours on the airframes and also in hunter killer mode like 3rd TFW and 52d TFW did, pairing thru the squadrons instead one type in each squadron. (mod that into the game!) 4th at Seymour Johnson was primarily strike tasked, with previously mentioned book citing them using dumb bombs and compensating for the CEP gained with DMAS upgrade by using M117s to ensure target destruction! also remember Wrench has good idea with limiting PGMs in his Warbirds mod as they were not as prevelant in the 80's as they are today. they were the special rounds used on the most heavily defended targets, not what we dropped on the guy shooting at troops in a toyota! well just a few thoughts on the matter anywho.

Red = 480TFS

Blue = 23TFS

Yellow = 52TFS

Well that answers that....thanks again Ant. Going with Red.....

Dave the yellow is the 81st TFS outta Spang, 480th was red

dang im slow tho i think he meant 81 not 52( the squadron not the wing)

Edited by daddyairplanes

Yeah that is much better...

img00007.JPG

Ok why not all 3 squadrons......

3 Squadron flagships and a line bird...

img00009.JPG

img00011.JPG

img00012.JPG

img00013.JPG

img00014.JPG

That's hot.....

img00014.JPG

img00015.JPG

img00017.JPG

Hotter...

img00023.JPG

Hottest.....

img00028.JPG

very cool:good:

drdoyo's 163 TFS skins in the Gen 1 d/l section feature a good skin for the SEA Wraparound skin. i have added the chaff and flare dispensers from Ant's Euro 1 skin to make it very workable for late model Phantoms in Gen 2 (including some cut and paste in good old Gimp to make it work on short nose Phantoms)

and it may be transferable to TMF's Arnies and Weasels. the SEA skin is tight though by 79/80 many Phantoms round the fleet were Wraparound. some straight SEA Phantoms had white letters and regular national insignia while some were black letters and low viz insignia. all wraparounds were low viz , though they usually had full color unit markings.

finally to do some rivet counting before bed the muzzle on the Hill 2 bird should be darker. mayber not black but darker give the heat from firing and the exhaust gases coming out. still a damn sight better than i can do though!

Edited by daddyairplanes