per the photos checkerboards a lil low and there should be a black stripe along the very top of the fin and the rwr fairing(about half the distance from top to your curretn top of checkerboard. can shoot a scan of the photos but prob not sooner than this weekend if my wife can stay outta the hospital. my decal is wrongish too but i'm focusing on the active duty squadrons first then tightening up the AFRES and ANG. finally if ya putting it on there as a skin the squadron CO's bird had a slanted chekerboard on fuselage with sqn in the center. the fin checkerboard should run into tho not onto the rwr fairing. but at least wait til ya put that on Hill 2. with the colors that looked sharp!

Well considering the pain I went through to get the checkerboards there and the pics I have look close enough for me. I'm not seeing the black stripe.

img00407.JPG

Clipboard02.jpg

Clipboard01.jpg

Fixed the panel lines on the nose....couple more touches and this series is done then tomorrow the 401st TFW

img00408.JPG

I'm loving these 'twilight years' USAF Phantoms.

Wasn't "CR" the tail code for Camp Holland (Soesterberg, The Netherlands)?

I thought that the aircraft (from the Phantom on) wore orange tail bands.

Good work on the Rhino's!

Edited by Muesli

Wasn't "CR" the tail code for Camp Holland (Soesterberg, The Netherlands)?

I thought that the aircraft (from the Phantom on) wore orange tail bands.

Good work on the Rhino's!

I'll have to ask Sundowner about that. He made that skin. I tend not to question him on F-4 knowledge. :drinks:

ok SEA Wrap no black stripe tho the ends of rwr fairing are black(front and back tip) Euro1 there is either a black stripe and fairing or the light catches it in a really wierd way throughout the book.didnt look in the book last night cause of back and forth to ER, caught you on a waitin period. lookin in C& M Vol 4, colors and marking's of the F-4D post vietnam, bert kinzey. 89th TFS is the featured squadron for that book so about 6 pages dedicated to it rather than 2 -4. if i can get my wife to get healthy enough to tell me how to work the scanner feature on the printer i'll shoot some photos over this weekend. might be lil late for this production but i told ya there was a wicked wing king bird in that squadron as well all that USAFE before century series book i've been yappin bout. good stuff in that for KAW birds after release (howabout F-80 and F-86 Skyblazers?!?!?)

oh and 32nd TFS was one of them assigned attached squadrons to 36th TFW until the late 80's when they became their own Group. i hafta look up the exact why but the CR both fit in the individual squadron coding of the immediate time created and reflects the fact that the squadron was under the operational control of the Dutch (hence the Crown). the stripe was orange although gained green pinstripestop and bottom towards the end of the Phantom years and endured thru the Eagle era to disbandment. these were the colors of the Dutch royalty, The House of Orange.

Edited by daddyairplanes

DA

If you can get thosed scanned, please do but real life first. For the life of me I not tracking on where that stripe might be. its driving me nuts....:blink: :blink:

DA

Does that tail strip look any better? Longest hour of my life.

img00409.JPG

img00411.JPG

yep looks better. though i still insist there is a black stripe there in euro 1. did you use a decal or plant the checkers on the skin direct?

yep looks better. though i still insist there is a black stripe there in euro 1. did you use a decal or plant the checkers on the skin direct?

I painted it on the skin. The pictures I have posted, I dont see the stripe.....show me and I'll add it.

I painted it on the skin. The pictures I have posted, I dont see the stripe.....show me and I'll add it.

ah was hoping you said direct on skin. have a decal ini that places it on there and would have felt like a douche if you'd spent all that time movin a decal around

hmm interesting update check ya PM

The 89th TFS had 2 D models with Mig kills from Vietnam. So when you select 554, you get the double Mig kIller and when you select 550 you get the single Mig Killer.

img00414.JPG

img00415.JPG

DA

Thanks for that stuff NOW I see where that black tip goes. I'll see if I can do that. You know where that RWR blister is?

Finally got it.

img00417.JPG

Whew....

img00418.JPG

Almost there....

img00419.JPG

Ant I'm spent...

img00419.JPG

img00420.JPG

img00421.JPG

img00423.JPG

Done...

img00424.JPG

img00425.JPG

I'll get it uploaded when I get off duty. Next up, either the 401st, or 49th TFW....

Great work,guys!

IMHO that F-4 "gunbird" is still the most baddest a$$ looking fighter ever. :yikes:

I'll get it uploaded when I get off duty. Next up, either the 401st, or 49th TFW....

examples of both in what i sent ya earlier

history note on both

401 tfw in torrejon spain started as a F-4E operator then devolved to a C operator before moving up at the end of the 70s to D's then Vipers in the 80's.

49th was part of the scramble to get outta France in 67, relocated to Holloman with a secondary assinged based in USAFE (europe tasking)

operated the D, transitioned to the Eagle late 70s.

another interesting unit was the 474th TFW, wrapped up with F-111s after vietnam, operated D's for a while til the transition in the early 80's to the Viper. was responsible for "training aircrews and mainting a ready force for contigencies". hmmmmmm.....