Hi All,

I'm trying to fly the F-4 with HUD on hard mode, because on normal mode there is this speed bar in the bottom left and unrealistic target markers and information etc.

However, when I change the HUD to hard mode I lose information about what the flaps are set to, and what range the radar is at.

Is there any way to tell what range the radar is at? I don't see any change in the cockpit when I change it...

Also flaps indication?

Everything else seems to be there like radar missile or heat missile, airspeed indicators, altitude etc...

Thanks

Which F-4 model? The US F-4B through F-4S models never had a HUD, just a reticle projected onto the combining glass. IIRC, the German F-4F ICE did have a HUD.

Oooops...just saw that you were referring to the in-game mini-HUD.

The radar range indicator (on the F-4E) is generally mounted slightly above and to the right of the radar display. I believe that it simply indicates 10,25, and 50 mile settings. The F-4C had no such indicator, and (in RL) depended on one glancing at the range knob's position.

The developer did not furnish the F-4 cockpits with with working flap-angle indicators. IIRC, they would be on the left side panel, ahead of the throttle quadrant.

Edited by Fubar512

Which F-4 model? The US F-4B through F-4S models never had a HUD, just a reticle projected onto the combining glass. IIRC, the German F-4F ICE did have a HUD.

Oooops...just saw that you were referring to the in-game mini-HUD.

The radar range indicator (on the F-4E) is generally mounted slightly above and to the right of the radar display. I believe that it simply indicates 10,25, and 50 mile settings. The F-4C had no such indicator, and (in RL) depended on one glancing at the range knob's position.

The developer did not furnish the F-4 cockpits with with working flap-angle indicators. IIRC, they would be on the left side panel, ahead of the throttle quadrant.

It's the F-4C I'm flying.

So I guess we can't glance at the range knob position in game :)

Do most people just fly with HUD set to normal to get around cockpit issues?

Is there a way to customise the HUD so that we only get messages like "radar range set to 50" and "flaps set to landing" etc, but still hide the speed/alt bar from the bottom left of the screen?

Any files we can edit/mod to do this?

It's so nice flying without the game HUD I get more immersed.

Cheers

ALT+D will remove the info screen on the bottom left.

ALT+D will remove the info screen on the bottom left.

Thank you, that's great. It works perfectly.

It's the F-4C I'm flying.

So I guess we can't glance at the range knob position in game :)

Do most people just fly with HUD set to normal to get around cockpit issues?

Is there a way to customise the HUD so that we only get messages like "radar range set to 50" and "flaps set to landing" etc, but still hide the speed/alt bar from the bottom left of the screen?

Any files we can edit/mod to do this?

It's so nice flying without the game HUD I get more immersed.

Cheers

Open up your huddata.ini and you can make various adjustments to suite your needs.

InfoDisplay]

BackgroundImage=TextBackground.tga

//BottomLeftPosition=0.01,0.985 --slashes remove all the text in the bottom corners of the screen

//BottomRightPosition=0.99,0.985

DisplayWidth=0.20

VerticalBorder=0.0015

HorizontalBorder=0.008

EnemyTargetColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

FriendlyTargetColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,1.0

UnknownTargetColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WaypointColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

TextFile=HUDText.str

NormalColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,1.0

WarningColor1=1.0,1.0,0.0,1.0

WarningColor2=1.0,0.0,0.0,1.0

AGLAltStart=609.6

AGLAltWarning=152.4

[Display001]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_ENEMY

ConeSize=15 you can also remove the cone by using 0

BoxSize=2 changing the red box to a red dot on visual target

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=1.0,0.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=redcone

[Display002]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=TARGET_FRIENDLY

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=2

BoxType=SQUARE

BoxColor=0.0,0.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=bluecone

[Display003]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=NEXT_WAYPOINT

ConeSize=0

BoxSize=0 gets rid of the waypoint markers

BoxType=TRIANGLE

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,1.0,0.75

ConeModelName=whitecone

[Display004]

DisplayType=RADAR

PosX=0.865

PosY=0.015

Width=0.0 gets rid of the top right radar screen

Height=0.0

Alpha=0.60

InitTime=2.0

[Display005]

DisplayType=DIRECTOR

ObjectType=RADAR_TARGET

ConeSize=15

BoxSize=10

BoxType=DIAMOND

BoxColor=1.0,1.0,0.0,0.75

ConeModelName=

Hope that helps.

Edited by romflyer

What's the procedure for extracting the huddata.ini file in SF2 ?

I downloaded Catpack and cleverly managed to screw up my installation, which now CTD's :blink:

Oh well, at least I'm not using up one of a limited number number of reactivations when I reinstall. Well done Thirdwire for that.

Did you try to repack a CAT file? That is a BIG no no...only experienced modders should attempt such a thing, and even then, most don't.

Use the appropriate extractor for the appropriate sim:

Gen 1 sims (SFP1, etc) use: http://combatace.com/files/file/343-sfp1woewov-cat-file-extract-utility/

Gen 2 sims (SF2, etc) use: http://combatace.com/files/file/10458-catpack-archiving-utility/

FC

Did you try to repack a CAT file? That is a BIG no no...only experienced modders should attempt such a thing, and even then, most don't.

Yep, I'm pretty sure that's what I did. Unintentionally though ( didn't RTFM, as usual :blink: )

I might have to ask which cat file contains huddata.ini, but I'll look for myself first.....

What's the procedure for extracting *any* file in SF2

These instructions are valid for ALL SF2 and FE2 series sims (as well as SF/Wo*, and FE/FEG, 1stGens)

1) download gerwin's extractor, for the link provided above

2) Unzip and install the cat extractor to a SEPERATE, stand alone folder at the root of your C/ drive (call it 'Cat Extractor'

3) Find the cat to be extracted in your ProgramFiles(x86)/ThirdWire *name of game* folder

4) COPY/PASTE the cat in question INTO the CatExtracor's folder. It leave the game's core files completly intact, harming nothing

5) after moving to the CatExtractor folder, drag/drop the cat in question OVER the CatPak.exe. It will automatically create a folder with the same name as the cat, and extract all files from said cat, placing them in the new folder.

6) now, you can delete the cat from the /CatExtractor folder

This procedure will have to be followed after every round of patching, or installation of Expansion Paks, as ALL internal files seem to be updated.

simple, straightforward, and easy!

wrench

kevin stein

Edited by Wrench

I think that's in the FlightData CAT file....

FC

Yep you were right, cheers

I did it this way, and it worked fine :-

Extract Huddata.ini from Flightdata CAT file in Flight folder of main installation

Move Huddata.ini to Flight folder in mod directory

Edit Huddata.ini

Catpack is a great little utility - when you read the instructions :grin:

Thanks for that Wrench - we posted at the same time.

I like your method better than the one I used - less chance of messing things up that way....

I'm a High Priest of the Temple of CYA :grin:

wrench

kevin stein