EricJ

SF2 Series DACT Reports And Related A2A Discussions (Game only)

There's a crack about flying a real plane but I'll leave it alone :smile:

Seriously though.... next?

Those were good fights Eric! I guess i need to re-download. Wanted to post a DACT as an answer to your findings on the Grippen E but this video is up first.

People say that the Mig-15 and the F-86 are evenly match in the air. So wanted to see if the Mig-17 was really an improvement over the Mig-15.

F-86E vs Mig-17PF

Somehow i was feeling really cocky so i let the Mig closed in on my six and only made my move once i felt really threaten. If my break came a second two late i would have been dead. i was in a shallow left hand turn at about 230 Kias allowing the mig to close in. It got too close at less than a mile so slammed the throttle forward and began breaking right i heard him took a snap shot so i tightened my turn a bit more all the time lookin g at the mirror to see if i can sot him or his tracers at least. As the plane accelerates over 300 Kias the Gs started to build and each time i hear a cannon being fired i jerked the stick a bit tighter just enough to get out of his sights and still maintain my speed and turn rate. After a couple of turns i can finally see him. Like a wolf running down its prey the sight of the bandit exited me, the plane shudders as i unconsciously pulled more on the stick to get the nose around. Soon enough he cross my view... i unload a bit to regain energy and continued pursuit i almost went pass him as i failed to notice him flying level, trying to extend and gain energy. Thankfully i managed to avoid a major  screw up. I lined him up and pull the trigger. The . 30 cals flew harmless by as i stat to overtake the bandit. I break away from the turn and took my saber up to convert speed into altitude.  rolled back into the turn inverting the saber into a stepped dive, reacquiring the Mig i straighten her out for a Gun pass... again all my rounds seems to pass by harmlessly as my nose went pass he parked his plane right above my jet. I pulled up and was able to make another gun pass but again they all seem to pass throough the Mig harmlessly. Again i took the saber up to trade speed to altitude and avoid badly overshooting the Mig and ending up being the hunted. I placed her on her back for another pass. This time the Mig was coming up on an angle crossing from my bottom right to the center of my hud, i botch the judgement on where he'll be and made a mess of the attempt. I nosed up and rolled again into a dive for another pass but this time the Mig planted itself on the ground. Looking at the Log book confirmed that all of the first 3 attempts landed at least 8 rounds each. Which dealt a slowly progressing damaged to the plane that eventually brought it down.

I think i did well on this fight. After all i did get away from my cockiness of allowing the opponent to get some shots off my bird. and despite being frustrated during the game as i thought none of my shots was landing, i was really happy to know that they were really good shots.

Edited by saisran
  • Like 1

Thanks!  Even in the Super Bug the Mig-17/19 shouldn't even be taken lightly, and even in DCS the Sabre as an opponent shoulsn't also be taken lightly either as the low speed handling compared to the Su-33 (at least) makes it very interesting...  I'm gonna get a Tomcat-D vs. Gripen video done as well, see how that goes....

Edited by EricJ

Alright, this confirms that i need a different Gripen E

Purist says that a fighter isn't worth a penny unless proven in combat. Well, this fight seems to prove that argument as the highly decorated veteran went against the young pretender...

F-86E vs GripenE Guns only!

I'm really disappointed at myself for forgetting to hit the record button as i really liked how the merged into this fight looked like. The fight took less than 3 mins but i was only able to record about 1 and a half of it.

I met the Gripen around 1k ft. I was trying to get a head on shot attempt but decided against it at the last minute so i peeled of about 15 degrees and turned back in. We were in a classic Hollywood shot. were both standing on our wing with the top of the plane facing each other, and real close. I can see the cockpit of the GripenE! it was awesome!

I was in full throttle and i pitched up in a high g climb trying my best not to drop my Airspeed below 350 Kias before i reach the crest of my loop. in contast the gipen decided to bleed its energ in a tight high G turn. as i was coming down i was still at 350 kias more than 50 kias more on the Gripen and a lot of altitude advantage. continued a couple of Climb and dive series to maintain my airspeed and altitude advantage against the gripen which is trying to get around my plane by doing tight G turns and shallow climbs. I was set to begin my first attack when i remembered that i happened pressed the record key. He went past underneath me in the opposite direction. I decided to do a split S and saw him cruising maybe trying to reacquire my plane. anyway bad attempt i was too fast and way out. Shot back up fliped my plane 180 and dove down. I was risking a stall with this maneuver and if ever the gripen decides to come up I'm a sitting duck. Well, thankfully the Gripen was still lost in thought as once again i came down two fast unable to get a firing solution. Anyway, like they said try and try again. so took her up once more to do the same move, only this time i decided to throttle down on the dive so to lessen the risk of an overshoot. coming down at around 350 kias the grippen stared a right hand turn which the saber managed to follow effortlessly. Slowly but surely he gets larger and larger. I let the machine gun rip! trying to crawl up from behind the Gripen i got the Gunsight right dead center and when he straigthen out i let another long burst and it was glorious!

Can't remember where i got the GripenE but it think its from one of the new ones. This means i should peruse the download section once more and get the good version. While the GripenC gave my tomcat hell this GripenE was utterly destroyed by the Saber! one of the oldest jet making mince meat of one of the newest 5th gen fighter shouldn't be right! :)

A lot of real DACTs with A-10s versus Tomcats proved that the majority of times the Hog was able put it's gun on the Tomcats qutie a lot.  It's more about low speed handling as opposed to always turning and burning, which is why at the low speed fight a Tomcat is turning out to be better at the tighter turns in the regime where the high alpha Hornets also excel at high speed turning. So that being said the Mig-19 and such at that era can really get their guns on your faster.  Even in the Super Hornet the Mig-17/19 gives yuo a workout even in a modern jet.

Me: F-14D(96) with 4 x AIM-9L, 4 x AIM-7M, tanks, gun

Opposition: Gripen E with 2 x AIM-9L, 4 x Robot 99 (AIM-120A), gun, tank

I managed to remap the flaps to my stick now and tried to get some love from the flaps and got some at the start. Overall I apparenly was flyng enough anyway but I did managed to smoke the Gripen at the end anyway when he slowend down (the Top Gun Jester "Come on come on" almost in my thoughts as I was coming around, as I managed to catch him at a pause and took him down.

Edited by EricJ

...  One of the more difficult aspects I remember is that the thing was small.  I had several shots on it and they just weren't connecting. ...

Aye, very small and very nimble! If one finds the Vipe a tough nut to crack, then the Gripen is off limits. Makes for a very good gunnery practice :good:

Those were good fights Eric! I guess i need to re-download. Wanted to post a DACT as an answer to your findings on the Grippen E but this video is up first.

People say that the Mig-15 and the F-86 are evenly match in the air. So wanted to see if the Mig-17 was really an improvement over the Mig-15.

F-86E vs Mig-17PF

Somehow i was feeling really cocky so i let the Mig closed in on my six and only made my move once i felt really threaten. If my break came a second two late i would have been dead. i was in a shallow left hand turn at about 230 Kias allowing the mig to close in. It got too close at less than a mile so slammed the throttle forward and began breaking right i heard him took a snap shot so i tightened my turn a bit more all the time lookin g at the mirror to see if i can sot him or his tracers at least. As the plane accelerates over 300 Kias the Gs started to build and each time i hear a cannon being fired i jerked the stick a bit tighter just enough to get out of his sights and still maintain my speed and turn rate. After a couple of turns i can finally see him. Like a wolf running down its prey the sight of the bandit exited me, the plane shudders as i unconsciously pulled more on the stick to get the nose around. Soon enough he cross my view... i unload a bit to regain energy and continued pursuit i almost went pass him as i failed to notice him flying level, trying to extend and gain energy. Thankfully i managed to avoid a major  screw up. I lined him up and pull the trigger. The . 30 cals flew harmless by as i stat to overtake the bandit. I break away from the turn and took my saber up to convert speed into altitude.  rolled back into the turn inverting the saber into a stepped dive, reacquiring the Mig i straighten her out for a Gun pass... again all my rounds seems to pass by harmlessly as my nose went pass he parked his plane right above my jet. I pulled up and was able to make another gun pass but again they all seem to pass throough the Mig harmlessly. Again i took the saber up to trade speed to altitude and avoid badly overshooting the Mig and ending up being the hunted. I placed her on her back for another pass. This time the Mig was coming up on an angle crossing from my bottom right to the center of my hud, i botch the judgement on where he'll be and made a mess of the attempt. I nosed up and rolled again into a dive for another pass but this time the Mig planted itself on the ground. Looking at the Log book confirmed that all of the first 3 attempts landed at least 8 rounds each. Which dealt a slowly progressing damaged to the plane that eventually brought it down.

I think i did well on this fight. After all i did get away from my cockiness of allowing the opponent to get some shots off my bird. and despite being frustrated during the game as i thought none of my shots was landing, i was really happy to know that they were really good shots.

That was actually some of the best energy management i've ever seen man. Good job!

A question: do you find the cannons in those Korea era birds jamming often?

Me: F-14D(96) with 4 x AIM-9L, 4 x AIM-7M, tanks, gun

Opposition: Gripen E with 2 x AIM-9L, 4 x Robot 99 (AIM-120A), gun, tank

I managed to remap the flaps to my stick now and tried to get some love from the flaps and got some at the start. Overall I apparenly was flyng enough anyway but I did managed to smoke the Gripen at the end anyway when he slowend down (the Top Gun Jester "Come on come on" almost in my thoughts as I was coming around, as I managed to catch him at a pause and took him down.

I defeintely need to try a DACT with those bags on! I remember them giving me quite the headache in furballs during regular missions :)

EDIT: sorry for the double post.

EDIT2: Saisran, have you tried the Gripen pack?

Edited by cougar_1979

To me it doesn't seem to be too much of an issue, you just have to push harder on your aircraft that's all.

@Eric. as long as you don't fire for more than 4 secs straight and a avoid firing @ high Gs it doesn't jam at all.

had the gripes on individual download, will tryout the pack

Thanks and good fight also. Im kinda missing the tomcat right now.

You mean the gun?  I usually don't prosecute gun kills unless I feel confident that I'll get it, pushing for a missile shot at the beginning keeps things easier :smile:

I'm not sure where I got it (maybe a pack, or separate download) but my E is fine

And yeah I'm the same way with the Super Bug, it;s fun with the Tomcat but once that SE Asia map comes out back to that jet.

even the cannons on the F-86F don't like high Gs very much.

I've never ran guns on the Sabre (at least the SF2 version, the DCS version is pretty fun to fly at least) but I'll keep that in mind though...

And appreciate the advice too.

Edited by EricJ

i'm an idiot. I was viewing the forums in my mobile phone and got you and cougar mixed up. Sorry. :biggrin:

Lol was wondering why it took that turn... anyway no worries...

i'm an idiot. I was viewing the forums in my mobile phone and got you and cougar mixed up. Sorry. :biggrin:

LOL! It was me. Yeah :biggrin:

The reason why i asked is, that sometimes by the end of a hard fight, i end up with only 2 of the cannons still working.....

Ok lads. No videos or DACTs this time. Just two familiarization flight. I decided to test the Gripen against the M2000, and just for reference, the other way around too. It looks to me like Gripen is a UFO as well. The supercruising sustaining 9+g at 20000ft kind of a UFO. I have never seen the E-M charts of that plane, but it does seam overpowered to me. The M2000 turned out all right though. Can anyone confirm this?

Cheers and safe flying!

P.S. I flew both brids clean, full internal fuel and guns only.

Hello everyone, it's been a while. I've been playing a newer version of Strike Fighters' incarnation for mobile devices. It's called Strike Fighters Legends. It's a bit more realistic and a lot harder than the previous version and it also has multiplayer.

Now that I've provided a background to it, I'd like to ask for everyone's helps, tips and suggestions. As you guys may remember, I have a preference for the F-104 Starfighter. I was in a 1v1 with a competent opponent who was flying a MiG-19 (with heatseekers) against me and my F-104C. While he was always able to get behind me, everytime he does, I always lit the burner to leave him (and his missiles) in the dust. Naturally, that would leave head-ons as my best firing opportunity but I am wary of the MIG-19's guns. It doesn't help that my opponent is a competent stick and shot as well.

Any suggestions? And please don't suggest taking up the other turnfighters. There are already too many of them. Below is a video of the fight to help you guys evaluate my situation:

Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately I'm no help as I stay strictly to the PC version, and quite honestly probably will.  Nothing against TK or his product, but to me mobile gaming = bringing my laptop.  But as of course it is welcome here as it is a TK product :smile:

• Like 1

Unfortunately I'm no help as I stay strictly to the PC version, and quite honestly probably will.  Nothing against TK or his product, but to me mobile gaming = bringing my laptop.  But as of course it is welcome here as it is a TK product :smile:

Thanks for the feedback Eric :) I have no worries with the platform preferences :) I was hoping what tactics could you guys recommend based on the video of my last fight. Granted the physics are different due to the platforms used but there might be basic or common strategies/tactics available. I'm looking at trying to nail him with the Starfighter's high-speed without exposing myself to retaliation by his guns (30mm type if I'm not mistaken).

I don't know how the flight models and the weapon systems are modelled in the mobile version, but in other sims the general rules would be:
-If the enemy is right behind you and packing a good heat seeking missile, do not light a burner and go up as you would make yourself a juicy target;
-the MiG-19 is no slouch by any means, it's actually quite a nice dogfighter for its era, so do not underestimate him;
-in an F-104, your best bet is ambush or a bounce from above, engage and flee; if he knows you are here and he is a good stick, there is nothing you can do once you make your initial attack.

Hope it helps.

• Like 1

I don't know how the flight models and the weapon systems are modelled in the mobile version, but in other sims the general rules would be:

-If the enemy is right behind you and packing a good heat seeking missile, do not light a burner and go up as you would make yourself a juicy target;

-the MiG-19 is no slouch by any means, it's actually quite a nice dogfighter for its era, so do not underestimate him;

-in an F-104, your best bet is ambush or a bounce from above, engage and flee; if he knows you are here and he is a good stick, there is nothing you can do once you make your initial attack.

Hope it helps.

Hmm.. It's just as I had feared... You are also correct about the MiG-19's capabilities... Looks like head-on is my best option... But those 30mm guns that he has... They make head-ons a dicey proposition...

...... But those 30mm guns that he has... They make head-ons a dicey proposition...

I usually avoid head on passes myself, but then again i usually fly larger planes (relatively) then the opposition.

Are you flying against an AI or against a human?

Hmm.. It's just as I had feared... You are also correct about the MiG-19's capabilities... Looks like head-on is my best option... But those 30mm guns that he has... They make head-ons a dicey proposition...

If the game allows you to outrun the Mig- your best bet is to extend, circle round high and ambush him like cougar said. If legends is like dog fight on android this is your best bet (as long as there's no marker telling him where you're flying). Avoid loosing speed by trying to turn with the Mig-19. Zoom down fast and if you miss your shot keep going and turn your plane away from him, get back to a safe distance and reengage. You should always maintain the speed and altitude advantage. This is a very laborious tactic and will require excellent marksmanship. However if you can pull it off its a rewarding tactic. 

Edit: saw the video and it seems like there's a timer in the game so you dont have much time to prepare the stage for your attack.

Edited by saisran
  • Like 2

I usually avoid head on passes myself, but then again i usually fly larger planes (relatively) then the opposition.

Are you flying against an AI or against a human?

It's against a human opponent. Not to brag but the AI in this game is not enough to make me fly like this. They only have numbers on their side and they fly in a pattern in such a way that I can afford to turn and burn a bit in the F-104 (which is asking for trouble admittedly).

@saisran

Yes, there's a timer in the game and each match starts out in a neutral head-on course.