EricJ

SF2 Series DACT Reports And Related A2A Discussions (Game only)

Yes

The distance should be tuned to the distance which you feel most comfortable with :

If most of the time you shoot at 300 m (0.2 nm) : tune 300 m.

On the Israeli Mirage IIIC, they made a field mod with 3 preset postions.

Yes

The distance should be tuned to the distance which you feel most comfortable with :

If most of the time you shoot at 300 m (0.2 nm) : tune 300 m.

On the Israeli Mirage IIIC, they made a field mod with 3 preset postions.

Thanks for the info Jeanba. So basically 500 means i have the most accurate lead right in between 0.2 to 0.3.

I'm curious about the field mod. does it allows you change the setting in flight and can it be applied to other planes? 

Thanks for the info Jeanba. So basically 500 means i have the most accurate lead right in between 0.2 to 0.3.

I'm curious about the field mod. does it allows you change the setting in flight and can it be applied to other planes? 

That should be it

About the Mirage IIIC, I was talking about the real Shahaks, but it is not implemented in the Game, unfortunatly :(

Edited by jeanba
  • Like 1

Question for Caesar:
I have been doing some aggressive high g gunnery practice with the Tomcat (trying to get high deflection shots on high energy breaking bandits) and when switching the radar to dogfight mode, i've noticed the symbology indicating VSL (vertical svan low). Does this mean the radar mode implemented is the VSL, or is it VSH with only the letters showing it VSL? And if the first, is there a way to switch to VSH? I think it should work better for turning fights then VSL or boresight.

Cougar,

VSL stands for "Vertical Scan Lockon," rather than VSL-Low or VSL-High (Vertical Scan Lockon-Low, Vertical Scan Lockon-High).  Most Tomcat pilots and RIOs I've spoken to almost always indicate they used VSL-High in a maneuvering environment.  The way we have the beam set up in VSL is to better mimic VSL-High; I don't remember what the minimum elevation is in game, in reality VSL-High used +15 to +55, Lo used -15 to +25.  I know we have it at a 40-degree scan.  Problem is, I'm away for another week or so, so I can't look at the avionics for a little bit.

• Like 1

We currently have a typhoon so im stuck in my room. I Dl'd some of Cocas fictional Soviet new gen fighters and have been with them and here's one from last night.

F-14D vs Mig-LFI, guns only.

We merged around 3-5 ft and started a diagonal left hand circle going about a couple of revolution around 450 to 500+Kias. Despite having baclkots the F-14 managed to stay with the LFI and left the fight neutral. I decided to went on a steeper angle on the descent but the LFI's superior Apha countered my intent by doing a hairpin turn breaking the one circle into two. but since he made such a sharp turn on his way up i have the edge on energy so i leveled the tomcat and went straight up for a vertical maneuver. i completed the loop and droped my flaps. at the botom of my loop i can saw the Mig floating perpendicular to my plane. I went up once more hoping to be able to catch the mig before it recover. I forgot that he was a 5th gen high alpha, high thrust, high maneuverability fighter. Though it didnt surprise me not to find him floating as i reaced the crest of my loop, I was hoping to find him still on a dive building up energy. it was a surprise to see him going at me guns blazing. I heard clatter of rounds on my planes airframe. Depending on the damage the tomcat might not be able to continue. so i kept her steady and waited hoping for the Mig to cut across my hud... Still spewing tracers the Mig-LFI kept straight on. I tapped the trigger and the LFI Flew straight into my vulcan's rounds. though receiving heavy damage on the left wing. The tomcat remained its structural integrety all the way till touchdown.

The LFI might be new gen but the Tomcat represent the best of the 4th gen fighters. Tough, rugged and willing to play. Anytime Baby!

• Like 1

I have no real DACTs to report, but i have been "DACT-ing" of the sorts. I was practicing high speed high g engagements some more and experimented with the blackout dificulty level. It seams like the hard mode make you start blacking out at 4g, instant black out at 6-7g. On medium you start blacking out at 6g, instant black out at 8-9g and on easy you don't black out at all.
Is there a way to customzie these setting? I would like to have at least 15s at 9g if possible. Flying with no blackouts is no fun at all, but flying with amplified g-locks is kind of a bummer as well. Expecially during low altitude turning fight with machines that like to be flown fast (F-16, F-15, F-14 (when at half a fuel or lower), most Mirages....).

In the AIRCRAFTOBJECT ini

Default data:

[PilotGLimits]
BlackoutStartG=4.0
BlackoutAmount=0.01
RedoutStartG=-2.5
RedoutAmount=0.05
RestoreRate=0.05

• Like 2

EDIT: i could only fin a dll file named AIRCRAFTOBJECT. Am i looking in the wrong folder (Strike Fighters 2\objects) ?

Cool. Didn't know we could edit the G loading. Questions; a well trained pilot in a G Suit how many soconds will it take for  the pilot to start getting tunnel vision and how High a G does he needs to get an instant black out?

Still playing with Cocas Fictinal Planes.

F-14D vs SU-51 Fenix

Turned into the merged at 6Kft and started a diagonal left hand turn, crisscrossing up and down. After one revolution and pulling too many G's and dropping flaps, i got the Su-51 in my front quarters. How ever the Su-51 made it clear that it has the advantege in maneuverability as he quickly made a sharp turn and met my Jet for another merged. Were now in a two circle fight which will lead to a series of Head on passess. after the intial pass i tried going towards the vertical in an attempt to throw him into a loop. We merged and took a short burst as a detterent(hes shooting at me at will). Using the airspeed gained in my dive. I went for a high g left hand turn in hopes of getting in a much better position, but the Thrust vectoring on the Su-51 nullify whatever energy afvantage i had.after one revolution were back to a head to head approach, only this time the tomcat was significantly lighter and responds much better. two more passes where none of us can get a shot off and then i was able to turn my jet right into his flightpath, he was still spewing tracers but its my bullets that hit their mark. The rght engine caught fire. Forcing the tomcat to turn as tight as possible i yank its nose around towards the Su-51. I traced the SU across the Sky as it drifted in the air. I pulled the trigger but i was still too far. i waited a bit more and finished the Su a few meters off my nose.

• Like 1

Double posted so.. not really a DACT for SF2 but just saw this on youtube. Thought everyone might like the cinematics. :)

Edited by saisran
  • Like 1

ObjectData001.cat

Sorry for the late response, i was away for a few days.

Unfortunately, i can't seam to be able to edit those.

I have this one laying around, its a Nov2011 version.

Edit the G stuff and move the file into the Objects folder

AIRCRAFTOBJECT.zip

I am an idiot..... did i mention i was an idiot before?? :blink:
I'm flying NF5 for the most part and i keep editing the root instalation...... and then i keep wondering why i experience no effects of the changes in flight...... why? Cause i'm  an idiot, that's why..... :closedeyes:
Thanks again mate..... i found the folder and the ini it it...... ini in it.... kinda sounds nice
Will be experimenting with it during the weekend, but as the default onset for medium seams to be 6g, i think 7 or 7.5 should give me the desired peak performance for limited time of around 9g or so (just about enough to get a tracking solution in high-g environments) :good:

lololol

OK... now back to DACT ...

Been flying a certain F1E variant vs the TW Persian Tomcat ...

guns only , 75% fuel both

Starting co-heading, abeam with ~300-500 meter distance,about 350 kias (canned setup, similar to the "Speed and Angles" thing...)

turning towards each other .. the 14 turns much better and gains position immediately..  no contest

i pull up into a vertical spiral .. the TW Tomcat cant follow that, I gain a good height advantage after about 15-20 seconds

about 4-5 spiral turns

Then the 14 runs out of oomph and puts the nose down.. time to convert the gained height into airspeed to follow the cat

down , closing for a gun attack

post-2042-0-16065400-1436803618_thumb.jpgpost-2042-0-87237600-1436803618_thumb.jpgpost-2042-0-53852600-1436803617_thumb.jpg

2nd situation

fully armed and fueled

head-on, about 4-5 nm distance

14 shoots a Phoenix right away which becomes the primary threat

I ripple fire both Super 530's and execute a beam maneuver to defeat the Phoenix, jettision the CL tank as i go

If I'm lucky, one of the Super 530s connects before my radar runs into gimbal limits or the Phoenix hits

But usually, it works OK ... took me a few tries until i had figured out which beam maneuver works ..

Edited by Crusader

lololol

OK... now back to DACT ...

Been flying a certain F1E variant vs the TW Persian Tomcat ...

guns only , 75% fuel both

Starting co-heading, abeam with ~300-500 meter distance,about 350 kias (canned setup, similar to the "Speed and Angles" thing...)

turning towards each other .. the 14 turns much better and gains position immediately..  no contest

i pull up into a vertical spiral .. the TW Tomcat cant follow that, I gain a good height advantage after about 15-20 seconds

about 4-5 spiral turns

Then the 14 runs out of oomph and puts the nose down.. time to convert the gained height into airspeed to follow the cat

down , closing for a gun attack

2nd situation

fully armed and fueled

head-on, about 4-5 nm distance

14 shoots a Phoenix right away which becomes the primary threat

I ripple fire both Super 530's and execute a beam maneuver to defeat the Phoenix, jettision the CL tank as i go

If I'm lucky, one of the Super 530s connects before my radar runs into gimbal limits or the Phoenix hits

But usually, it works OK ... took me a few tries until i had figured out which beam maneuver works ..

Saw an illustratim of the F1 yesterday and been wondering how it flies. would you mind citing the established strength and weaknesses of the F1? is it a turn fighter or a BNZ energy fighter?

Design-wise, its a mid-60's interceptor.. the follow-on to the C/E Delta Mirage III , using the III fuselage but with conventional wing/tail and a stronger

motor

Wing got high lift devices - inboard LEF, outboard SLATS - , segmented trailing edge Flaps which were modified/strengthened in the late 70's to be usable

as combat flaps which increase turn performance somewhat.

To compare it to another jet, its between a hard-wing F-4D/E and the slatted F-4E

Energy fighter , essentially.

Can win turn fights though, depends on geometry and opponent

strenghts (speaking of the basic F1C variant)

- small

- smokeless engine

- effective gun armament from the outset

- good fuel fraction

weaknesses

- medicore radar

- crappy R.530 missiles only the first few service years

- limited missile load, by default its 2 IR and 2 SAHM (of which the early versions were almost only dead weight)

- interceptor-style cockpit with limited view

To compare it to another jet, its between a hard-wing F-4D/E and the slatted F-4E

I once flew a series od DACTs that involved guns only engagements between F-104's, F-4s, MiG-23's and F1's, and reached a pretty similar conclusion. My greatest issue with the bird was that the one in NF5 has extremely nasty stall properties. Basically a death trap spin, which at lower altitudes is unrecoverable..... and this is where we usually end up when we go gunzo on each other.

Thanks for the info guys. a few more questions, Wiki says that the F.1AJ is an export version of the F.1E. is there a difference in flight performance between the two? and is the performance of the E that different from the C variants which is more prevalent in the DL Page? 

A slight digression....
this happenned 2 times in a row today. I was chasing a Mirage 2000 down low in a high G turn. We were hugging the ground, bellow 1000ft. I pulled lead, squeezed the trigger, shot off his rudder. In both occasions he reversed pulled up and doing a steady climb at 60-80 knots reached stratosphere at 45+ thousand knots :blink: . This is not the first time i've seen this. Some time ago a Super Hornet pulled the same move on me. Only he went even higher. At the time i thought it was a Super Bug bug (no pun intended :biggrin: ), but now it seams it's common to all AI planes, at least when the AI is flying on hard.

Has anyone seen this behavour before?

The AI super climb, yep, usually happens when i damage the AI kite 8debug shows heavy dmg status) but i havent found out what is causing the insane climb

Think we reported that already back in the beta test days of later SF2 games .. IIRC ...

F1's

F1AJ ?  ..

theres a F1JA (Ecuador), almost all books say its a E variant but its really a C derivative, it has the old F1C pit but the *long* (+7 cm) fuselage of the

C-200 series (which have the refuel probe) but the JA has no probe/IFR capability.

"True" E variants are usually heavier by about 100 kg due to the inertial NAV and doppler fitment + more electronics of the better HUD/NAV Attack System.

Those extra electronics reduce the fuel capacity by 200 liters

All F1 variants use the same engine

So there is no telling performance difference...

baffmeister made a new, further improved FM for our F1's which is great ... :ninja:

• Like 1