Sign in to follow this  
firehawkordy

Funny Thing Happened On The Midway

Last weekend I took my wife and grandson to NAS North Island for the Centennial of Naval Aviation celebrations on Saturday. On Sunday we went to the USS Midway so I could show my love how I used to live and what I actually did in the fleet as an ABF and an AO. Most of the time below decks and in the hangar bay was quiet but once we got onto the roof, I was in my element so to speak. I started showing the family the various birds and pointing out things that made them unique. Showed them mostly the areas I would have worked on either fueling or arming an aircraft for the most part. The funny thing was that when I started showing and explaining to my grandson how we would arm the F-4 or F/A-18 I looked up and noticed that I had drawn a large crowd. It seems that other guests thought I was part of the tour and had started following us around the flight deck, one mother told her kids to be quiet so they could learn something. After some time I was fielding questions about my job as an AO and the roof in general. I found out later that this happens a lot to Navy Vets when they come aboard and start showing their families what they did. I felt a little nervous about the attention we got but to be able to show folks what one did and have the actual airplanes that you would have worked on was an honor. My only problem is when I get thanked for my service, I tend to get embarrassed, I have never gotten used to that.

• Like 2

Thats one of the best stories I have heard in awhile.

That appreciation is vital, enjoy that. You deserve it, all veterans do.

Iwan

in Israel most of us get blessed when in uniform for a safe return home

everyone has a story of his own... and I think you have a great one :)

IMHO, you shouldn't be embarrassed! you served your country in the most honorable way

not everyone do it.. especially in places, where military service (on its various branches) is not mandatory

Cheers :salute:

Hey Ordy!

You were the "duty" expert. :good: I would have been listening to you,also,and I flew the F-4.(RF-4b,100hrs in type).

I still get a little 'redfaced' and it was 40 years ago.

Anyway,THANKS FOR YOUR SERVICE!!! You deserve it.

I found out later that this happens a lot to Navy Vets when they come aboard and start showing their families what they did

That's an awesome story. Be thankful I wasn't there, I'd have asked you more questions than you'd have had time to answer. :grin:

My only problem is when I get thanked for my service, I tend to get embarrassed, I have never gotten used to that.

I've seen a few vets who get embarassed. You shouldn't be, you had the most honorable job on the planet and deserve to be thanked for it once in a while. I always thank someone when I find out they're a vet. It's the least I can do considering what you gave. :salute:

Similar happened to me there on a trip out there when I brought my brother and parents out to the Midway. We were overlooking the flightdeck from the aft part of the island and the guide was explaining what each plane did. One of the visitors asked what the funny plane with the saucer on top did and the guide, or docent they called themselves, said he didn't know.

So I ended up giving that part of the tour and explained the E-2, crew composition and mission parameters. Kinda cool. But I didn't expect that.

Thanks for the comments, one of these days I'll get used to the thank yous and not get flustered. :salute:

Great story, thanks for sharing. It shows that former and current service members are appreciated.