Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Popular Music: Your absolute No. 1 all-time greatest Top Hit

I've read this thread with interest, and I've spent some time reflecting upon my taste in music, and, of course, that No. 1 killer song.

The answer - naturally - is that you can't really call it without saying " Yes, but..." and then you're into the maze that is your own personal musical taste. If ever there was a battleground - other than politics - then I would say that music is that ground. Anything that stirs you to mention it as your favourite must, indeed, be a strong and enduring feeling. People will never give ground on that.

So, I've had a think about the pieces of music that I adore - ranging from hardcore reggae, through trashy 70s disco, tragically heavy metal, "intellectual" prog rock, classical - where the composer wore a white wig and is now dead -, minimalist music (to which I'm strangely attached), through the indy revolution of the 80's onwards, flitting with elements of hip-hop - although rarely, as I dislike misogyny - and have finally fetched up with two songs, and I cannot decide which is the better three minute trashing/encapsulation of my life.

Here they both are. I really hope that you enjoy them both, because over the years they have meant a lot to me. BTW, it's nice to be back posting.

Enjoy.

Well I thought long and hard about it and this is my choice:

Tony

I've been mulling this over for the last few days while I was on the road. Sorry Olham...can't do it. I haven't even been able to narrow it down to my top ten. Too many songs, too many genres, too many eras.

Many great songs noted here already, my hat's off to those who've managed to pick just one.

Eric with the Animals sang a definite classic pop song there, Steve.

I know what you mean, Lou. I had the same problem first.

And I could only pick one, when I thought about which piece

really had the "deepest impact" on me.

I could easily list dozens of songs here, which I believe to be immortal.

Does Bob Seeger still play with the Silver Bullet Band, Typhoon?

The man was/is a classic rocker.

Although not my #1 all-time greatest Top Hit, it is my Top Hit dealing with WWI aviation: Al Stewart doing "Fields of France"

Does Bob Seeger still play with the Silver Bullet Band, Typhoon?

The man was/is a classic rocker.

Yes he does. Here is a link to his website:

http://www.bobseger.com/index/home/

I became a fan of his in the 70's when I edited a TV show featuring him and Teagarden and Van Winkle.

Tony

Thanks for the link, Typhoon! :drinks:

Now your talking. My #1 song. Kind of like you original post, Olham. I was in the Air Force in Texas and was dancing with this beaituful Austrian girl. Her father was going thru some kind of flight training at a nearby base. I was in love during that a subsequent dances with her, or so I thought. And the dance did take place on a Sunday afternoon to top it off. I still don't know how to embed the You Tube, so you'll have to click on it. The Young Rascals, Groovn on a Sunday Afternoon

This is impossible. Every time I think of classic, another one pops in my head. There you go, there's another one - Gonna Write a Classic, Adrien Gurvitz..

But, for all my actual favourite might flip from song to song, throughout my life, whenever I've compiled cassette tapes of my favourites or playlists on an ipod, the one song which is always in the list is Teenage Kicks by the Undertones.

Edited by Flyby PC

Amother favourite of mine from the 60's

(This was the B'Side to the classic track Telstar)

I made this video for it...The Track is Jungle Fever

Are we allowed a second category? Best live music?

Runrig - Loch Lomond. Best live band ever. Never seen a video do it justice yet. Everybody, old and young, dancing on tables, stamping the feet, hanging from light rigs while belting out the tune, - the works. Ah, happy days......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sm1BZnm-SIE

If relaxedness has a name... cool, Ras.

The embedding goes so, that you copy the YouTube address line from the upper browser frame

into your post. But you seem to have done so. I don't know, why some show a YouTube frame,

but yours doesn't???

Guys, this wasn't meant to be a thread for ALL the wonderful songs you like.

It is not fair to RAF_Louvert, to post more than one.

Free Bird....very good choice. :good:

I dunno know, seems to me like the 60s and 70s rule (ruled :this: )

I dunno know, seems to me like the 60s and 70s rule (ruled :this: )

Provided you conveniently forget the existence of disco.......

Nice to see so many fellow aging hippie types on this forum. (gets spliff out!) :salute:

Provided you conveniently forget the existence of disco.......

conveniently and easily forgotten...hated that stuff and never could dance to it.

:minigun::ymca:

Thankfully there was still the occasional slow song played at the parties so I could still get some time in with the ladies....

Edited by steve58

You're right, Steve - I know it was a hit, but that castrated falsetto singing of "Saturday Night Feevaaaahhh",

and most of the other disco stuff made me drink more than was good for me, back in my army days!

An exception for me was Donna Summer singing "I feel love".