Sign in to follow this  
Olham

Popular Music: Your absolute No. 1 all-time greatest Top Hit

ONLY 1 SONG EVERYBODY, PLEASE

I have often thought of starting this thread, but then I always found it almost impossible

to go for just 1 song (or instrumental). In different phases and moods, we may like different stuff.

But what the heck - no one would be angry, if you had a different selection next year.

I made my choice.

This song was played, when I had my very first slow dance with a (French) girl in a German-French

youth camp at the Bodensee. I remember, that it was the first time, when the combination of the scent

of a girls hair and skin, and a soft bosom pressed against my chest, caused something like an electric

red-out in my brain or godknowswhereelse.

:grin:

That tune they played then was Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale"

Edited by Olham

it's impossible. I've several.

But picking your theme, Olham, Id' choose "I Feel Love" performed by Bronski Beat and Marc Almond. It was with my girlfriend at the time, German, 23 years and 3 months ago. It was not properly a slow.......

20 years after and I still feel my heart pump fast when I hear this song.

Anja, if you're reading this, I'll never forget it.

And no, I'm not gay (not that it's important). :grin:

Uriah Heep, Easy Livin'.

ONLY 1 SONG EVERYBODY, PLEASE

I have often thought of starting this thread, but then I always found it almost impossible

to go for just 1 song (or instrumental). In different phases and moods, we may like different stuff.

But what the heck - no one would be angry, if you had a different selection next year.

I made my choice.

This song was played, when I had my very first slow dance with a (French) girl in a German-French

youth camp at the Bodensee. I remember, that it was the first time, when the combination of the scent

of a girls hair and skin, and a soft bosom pressed against my chest, caused something like an electric

red-out in my brain or godknowswhereelse.

:grin:

That tune they played then was Procol Harum's "A Whiter Shade of Pale"

My Sister (and many like her) got Married with that tune in the Background..it is indeed a classic Olham..good choice

My Heroes Have Always Been Cowboys by Willie nelson.

Von Paulus; to be honest, Bronski Beat & Marc Almond came very unexpected for me here.

But it is a memory, I understand. And combined with memories, songs turn into something special.

Widowmaker, The Stranglers had several good ones - my favourite of theirs was

"There's always the Sun". "Skin Deep" comes to mind.

They had a hand for arrangements, I'd say.

Conrad, my very first LP was Uriah Heep's "Salisbury"! I still like their stuff.

My favourite of theirs is "Demons and Wizzards".

Pawgy, that's Country, I suppose? A department I still have yet to get to.

• Like 1

Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd but the Delicate Sound of Thunder Tour live version.

Well, if we're not sticking to "Top Hits" then my all-time greatest is Clear As The Driven Snow by the Doobie Brothers.

Comfortably Numb- Pink Floyd but the Delicate Sound of Thunder Tour live version.

another totally fantastic band...god, there are so many!!!

(But none so far from the 21st Century!...Is that telling us something???)

There are so many to choose from, but I guess it'd have to be '39 by Queen

Man Olham, you ask some tough questions.

I've given it some thought and while One Headlight by the Wallflowers was going to be my choice (thus dating me as a man who came of age in the 1990s) I have to go with this.

Simply put, it's the most remarkable pop music song ever.

EDIT: And if I may self-indulge. Here's the runner-up:

Edited by _CaptSopwith

I love sixties psych and garage.....though this song has to be my all time favourite

another totally fantastic band...god, there are so many!!!

(But none so far from the 21st Century!...Is that telling us something???)

For shame! There are lots of post 2000 bands and songs worth listening to, you just need to go look for them..

My favorite , all time greatest, is the Decemberists' "The Crane Wife 3" from the Crane Wife album. Probably the best album so far of the new century.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmhVY2PLc-c&feature=related

I also like Death Cab for Cutie's Transatlanticism album, but we're being requested to not post multiple songs.

Absolutely anything by these guys...

plug_nickel

For shame! There are lots of post 2000 bands and songs worth listening to, you just need to go look for them..

I agree...Amy MacDonald, Mumford and Sons to name just two

Here I can learn something new - didn't know "Clear as the driven Snow" by the Doobie Bros. nor "'39" from Queen.

Great video for "A Day in the Life", CaptSopwith - never seen it before.

The "YouTube-Polizei" doesn't allow me to see and hear the Wallflowers.

But that's okay - only 1 song.

They also censor the Flamingos for Germany.

Widowmaker, if you want to hear something good post-2000, you absolutely must listen to ARCHIVE's CD "Lights" - a very good work.

Edited by Olham

The temptation to post another is very strong.. must... fight... urge...

Lewie, I know how you suffer - I also have dozens and dozens of good songs, and I'm sure

everyone else here too. That was the (nasty) point: to name THE one song above all others.

Lewie, I know how you suffer - I also have dozens and dozens of good songs, and I'm sure

everyone else here too. That was the (nasty) point: to name THE one song above all others.

Yes, and in my best William Shatner voice, " In.. Heaven.. there.. Is.. No.. Beer.....:drinks:"

another tune...sorry I broke the rule..this is as modern as I get

Whatever tune I've gotten "lucky" to most often. Of course, I really can't say which tune that is. I wasn't paying too much attention to the music at the time. :grin:

Hellshade

Edited by Hellshade