Sign in to follow this  
UK_Widowmaker

Tornado gives final punch

Ooh yeah. That's a nice swan song for the awesome Tornado.

Tornado F.3's are being replaced by the Tiffie, Gr.4's should be around for a while yet... that is they aint figured out whats replacing them yet.

Craig :drinks:

That was my understanding as well, the F.3s are being replaced and leaving the typhoon with the air defense/interceptor role. The GR4s still have a LOT more to teach to the Typhoons in regards to mud moving. After Tranche 3 birds are fully matured, the Typhoon may finally deploy as a viable A-G asset. Right now that role is still secondary IIRC.

Edited by turkeydriver

Yep, no fear of the GR.4 leaving service for quite a few years yet.

Pfffft :heat: .... But one never knows with politicians: if for instance The Platform for Heterosexual Lesbiennes (a VERY pityfull and sad minority) must be subsidized, it might very well cost the Tornado it's head .......:grin:

Houdoe,

Derk

Edited by Derk

Haha..that's news to me (indeed...good news)...Let's just hope Derk is proven wrong...But, like he says...if it's up to the Politicians :blink:

Haha..that's news to me (indeed...good news)...Let's just hope Derk is proven wrong...But, like he says...if it's up to the Politicians :blink:

The scariest thing in the world is being at the mercy of Politicians.

The scariest thing in the world is being at the mercy of Politicians.

Thank god they're not in charge...It's the media and Oil Companies and Banks (so thats alright then) :blink:

Oh...hmmmmm :this:

Is the RAF the last operator, and will these birds find a new home?

Is the RAF the last operator, and will these birds find a new home?

The RAF is scheduled to use them until ~2020 I think, meanwhile the Italians, Germans and Saudis also operate the Tornado.

The actual aircraft taking part in OPERATION ELLAMY* are due to be retired soon as part of the UK defence cuts, this makes sense as it means you're putting extra hours on airframes that are going out of service rather than ones you're planning on keeping around for another decade.

*The UK name for operations in support of UN Resolution 1973, as opposed to Odyssey Dawn which is a bit of a stupid name to use when you realise the Odyssey was the story of one man's seemingly endless struggle to return home after a ten year war in the Middle East...

The actual aircraft taking part in OPERATION ELLAMY* are due to be retired soon as part of the UK defence cuts, this makes sense as it means you're putting extra hours on airframes that are going out of service rather than ones you're planning on keeping around for another decade.

Sorry SkippyBing but that's not quite right, those airframes currently on Op's are part of the Tornado Diamond fleet (fully modded for the lastest enhanced muntions like Brimstone/Storm Shadow/Paveway IV etc) and as such aren't getting scrapped anytime soon, it's the none-diamond fleet being phased out.

The Diamond fleet exist due to financial pressures. The RAF couldn't afford to modify the whole GR4 fleet to carry newer enhanced munitions (those that require a 1553 databus/GPS feeds etc) so a small group of GR4's were modded by BAE and are reffered to as the "Diamond XX" where the XX is the current number of modded airframes (i.e Diamond 15 etc). These are currently on Ops in Afghan & Libya with some reserves in the UK for pre-Op's training. None Diamond airframes can still carry Paveway 2 & 3 and TIALD/Litening pods giving them a precision strike capability and can carry ALARM (being phased out).

Hope that make sense....................................................................................IanH (currently 617SQN)

Edited by ianh755

IanH, thanks for that, the fleets within fleets thing makes perfect sense, at one point pretty much every Lynx flight had a unique fit which made crew allocation a nightmare.

I shall now hunt down the individual who gave me the duff gen, although to be fair it was late, we had drunk a lot and the pizzas were late turning up...

Edited by SkippyBing